With the important technical specifications (other than image quality) are as follows:
- 16-megapixel 1/2.3-inch (6.17 x 4.55 mm) CMOS sensor with sensor-shift shake reduction
- 4.5-18-mm F2-F4.9 lens, which gives a 35-mm-format equivalent focal length of 25-100mm.
- ISO range of 125 to 6,400 and can shoot Full HD 1080p video at 30 fps
- Waterproof down to 14 meters (45 ft)
- Shock resistant against drops from up to two meters (6.6 ft)
- Operate in temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Crushproof to 100 kg (220 lb).
- 3-inch LCD display with 460k dots, featuring an anti-reflection coating for use in bright conditions.
- Ring of six LED macro lights around the lens barrel should come in handy for use with the Digital Microscope mode, plus a traditional built-in flash.
- GPS records position data and travel log data for captured images. A sub-display on the front of the WG-4 GPS is used to indicate time and GPS data
- Camera also has a pressure/altitude/depth gauge and a digital compass.
Due to be released in March, the Ricoh WG-4 and Ricoh WG-4 GPS will sell for US$330 and $380 respectively. The WG-4 GPS will come in blue or black, while the WG-4 will be offered in silver or lime yellow. Australian prices yet to be determined
The WG-4 and WG-4 GPS offer outstanding waterproof performance -- down to 14 meters underwater--and shock resistance against a fall from heights up to two meters. While inheriting the easy-to-hold, non-slip design of the previous lineup, they provide a choice of new body colors that stand out in the outdoors. They also feature such state-of-the-art developments as a large-aperture, four-times optical zoom lens (with the maximum aperture of F2.0 at the wide-angle end) and a high-sensitivity, back-illuminated CMOS image sensor to deliver high-quality, low-noise images -- even in the water, at night and at indoor sports events where the subject is poorly illuminated. Other significant improvements have been made to upgrade the camera's operation and performance, including faster AF operation in macro shooting, improved image quality in underwater shooting, and the addition of the USER mode for instant recall of the user's favorite settings. An array of optional accessories are available to accommodate active outdoor photography. For instance, an adhesive mount and a handlebar mount are designed to securely fix the camera for hands-free shooting, allowing the photographer to take advantage of such movie recording features as a dual shake reduction system and Full HD movie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels).
The RICOH WG-4 GPS model also comes equipped with an advanced GPS unit to record position data and travel log data onto captured images, and provide such GPS-related functions as a pressure/altitude/depth gauge and a digital compass to further facilitate outdoor shooting.