PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth GPS Battery Life

Beast Of Bodmin
13th January 2006, 08:16 AM
Hi all,
Lots of people are recommending the BT338 receiver. I've seen this comes with various options regarding power consumption (3 l think, depending on chipset used).

Has anybody got any experience on the battery life. GPS OZ states 17hr operation - is this true?
Does the unit use alkaline batteries, NiMh or it's own unique type?

Also, noticed the BT338 comes with 240 & 12 v chargers, how long does it take to recharge?

With the chipset options, is the least power hungry chipset 338 gps also able to hold onto a signal in dense forest / bush track areas (in High Country for example)

I'm currently using a Meridian Gold, and quite often this loses the signal in dense forest or dense urban environments, thus wondered whether the 20 channel gps might be a better bet.

Cheers
BoB

arthurking83
13th January 2006, 07:02 PM
It's not so much the number of channels the GPSr can track!
I mean, what's the point of tracking 20 satellites if there are only 12 in the sky??

The main reason to use these 20 channel GPSr's is that they will have 5 years newer technology in the recieving circiutry!

I hear a lot of good things about the SirfIII chipset(which is 20 channel), but reciever sensitivity is much improved.
(that's the benefit of 5 years improved technology)

The Meridian, will almost certainly be hamstrung by the fact that you have the unit mounted on the dash.

Next time you're out in the forest, and you lose lock, hop out of the vehicle with the Meridian, and you will almost certainly get position again :confused:

You could try a re-radiating antenna.
Mount the antenna on the roof of the car, and it's equivalent to standing outside the car with the GPSr, while you're driving.

PED04
20th January 2006, 01:39 PM
I have the BT-338; personally I have yet to lose track of sats once it has aquired them unless I go into a tunnel, or into one of those multi-story carparks, or inside a windowless room in a building. Never lost track whilst 4WDing.

Charging time I can't tell; when it runs low, I plug it in to my car charger, and keep going.