PDA

View Full Version : In car PC and Magellan setup

sclarke7171
19th January 2006, 10:42 AM
Hi guys,
last 2 posts got locked as i was a naughty boy and asked the wrong question.
This time i'm a good-a boy....

OK i have a Magellan Meridain Colour GPS with 256mb card and Discover Aus on it.
Its been great all around the high country and other great places in Vic.
I'm doing the Simpson in July so i'm looking at a Car-puter

What i want to do is get a Din Mount In-car LCD Touchscreen 7" will be fine.
Then have a Laptop running of a Inverter to drive it.
Laptop will run Hema Desert maps, Oziexplorer, Topo 250k and SA 50k and some others like rooftops for local stuff.

I have a Landrover Defender and its had the odd drink in a river and bog holes, so i want a laptop so i can pull it out in a hurry if need be. i'm looking at mounting it on the cargo barrier just behind the front seat.

Most of the time the Lappy and screen will be out of the car as i dont want them damaged when i do serious 4wding. i only use the GPS when i do touring. Mind you last touring trip cost me thousands as i had to shut her off in the middle of a river as the engine was taking water. Lucky i was able to pull the injectors out and the intake off and clean the water out. Hence no engine damage. Who said Diesels Die when waterlogged??

Question?
Who makes a In-Car Din mount LCD Touch screen that i can get in Aust? i'll use FleaBay if need be. Do you have one and what did you pay?
I dont care about a radio as at 100kmh you cant hear a thing except road and engine noise.

So throw me some idea's.

weeds
19th January 2006, 03:40 PM
don't i know you from somewhere

see my post a bit down the page, i looking at doing similar, i have a small hitch, the laptop i was going to use i it think will struggle to keep up with the gps plus i didn't realise oziexplore didn't come with maps

just have to scratcharound for a few more $$$

keen to see how your setup goes along with the costs

arthurking83
19th January 2006, 03:59 PM
Depending on where you live, you can get the odd free map (for use in Ozi..) from various places (legitimate stuff only, of course!)

You don't need to rely on pirated maps, to get around.

Just ask, tell us what area your interested in........there should be something.

The Geoscience images are around 4(ish)Megs.
(broadband is handy!!)

cheers.

David Johnson
14th March 2006, 04:17 PM
Hi Clarkie,
Hmmm, great minds think alike? I am in the process of doing the same, and I am a County 110 owner,
I simply bought some 12mm plywood, vinyl and glue, and made a console suitable for a laptop/ uhf/ re radiating aerial, power supply etc. I bought a 8.4" TFT VGA Touchscreen for $350.00 from Brash Imports in Caulfield. Same unit is in shops for near $600.00.
I am having a few probs with the drivers, but there is a blue power wire that I am not game to connect, as there were useless installation instructions, and it may be the screen power wire. Still waiting on an answer from Brash's.
For $120 I got a CCD camera, so I dont reverse into any tree's ( again).
Regards, David

Andrew Hughes
21st March 2006, 09:32 AM
Do you have the camera connected to the computer or a seperate screen