PDA

View Full Version : Advice on LCD Screen

Paul75
20th January 2006, 05:11 PM
G'day,

Am looking at purchasing an LCD screen (maybe touch!) for use in my 4WD to run my laptop through (with OZIexplorer), and for use with a rear camera.
What should I be looking for in terms of the following things?
- video & audio inputs/outputs etc.
- Brightness
- Contrast
- Resolution

and anything else you guru's think will be relevant or necessary.

Thanks in advance.
Paul.

pujapete
20th January 2006, 06:09 PM
I would have thought for use when offroading your first priority would be to ensure it was shock proof as all those other atribute wont mean squat otherwise. BMW and Mercedes both have a touch screen, so if you inquire to their service departments they might be able to help you source a good quality screen. otherwise a reputable car audio instaler might be able to do the same. Anyway they are my ideas for what they are worth i hope it helps?

Peter

arthurking83
20th January 2006, 06:35 PM
Hi Paul,
I was thinking the same thing about a touch screen, most guys reckon that the Lilliput are not as good as the Xenarc, but this is only secondhand info and from what I've read!

Video inputs! Very important, do they come with multiple inputs?
eg. you may want to have it automatically switch to a rear view camera!

I suppose you could set the PC/Laptop up with multiple inputs??

Audio in/out?? I suppose this is normally not important, as the sound will almost invariably come from the PC/Laptop, maybe through an amp or stereo (depending on connections)

Have a quick browse through Xenarc's (http://www.xenarc.com/) website, for some info.
I like the 10.2" picture in picture model :)

Not much info, but as I've been studying the options, I'm yet to be convinced that they are "value for money".....
I'm waiting!

happpyg
23rd January 2006, 02:16 PM
Hi paul,

I used to have the 7" Lilliput (the newer one without all the problems of the older model) and it was a great screen just not quite bright enough (it was manageable as long as the screen was angled back in the dash and having the windows tinted helped about 280-300 nits with touch screen from memory). I wanted something a little larger & brighter so went for the Xenarc 10.2" model and am very happy. Although it is not a true "sunlight readable" screen (these are 1000 plus nits and VERY expensive) this one is quite acceptable and is readable 99% of the time even in direct sunlight and is rated at 450 nits (including touch screen - watch this figure as it is quite often quoted without the touch screen!). Both the screens have AV inputs for use with a Reversing camera which I am going to do one day - it's on that big "to do" list :)

This is a link to the screen that has been installed i my car for about the last 9 months http://www.customcarputers.com/xenarc_1020yv_1020tsv.htm

Hope that helps, once you have one set up if you are like me you will wonder how you ever did without it, lots of different options though, good luck!

Paul75
23rd January 2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all that info guys, helps a lot.

What sort of input do you need for a reversing camera??
Oh and do these LCD screens just hook up to the laptop through the VGA connection.

Cheers.

happpyg
23rd January 2006, 02:41 PM
Depends on the reversing camera you buy, the ones I was looking at just take 12v and have a RCA video connector that would go straight into one of the inputs for the screen. The LCD screen has a VGA input so yep, straight through the lapptop or PC's vga connector.

Paul75
24th January 2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks HappyG,

One last question if you can spare the time....

Just thinking about these LCD screens...how come you can get a good quality 17" one for a desktop for $500 but the smaller ones like the xenarc's are so expensive. Is there something I'm missing about the differences?

Cheers.

happpyg
24th January 2006, 04:26 PM
Not really to sure & I am no expert but I would guess that the demand for the smaller ones is not that great making them a bit more expensive and I think the type of LCD (STN etc etc) and brightness has a lot to do with it. As soon as they start getting brighter the prices jump up a long way! Plus the touch screen too although that doesn't really add all that much.

I was very happy with the little lilliput screen, proveded you have windows tinted and a sheild or mount it back in the dash it was quite workable, sometimes a little hard to read ozi maps without zooming right in but for the price it was a good screen.

You can see what I did with the old screen and the new one in the installs section, there is a link to my website there with heaps of pics if that will help your decision.

Cheers

Paul75
26th January 2006, 05:04 AM
My last question to the people out there on this topic;

Does anyone have a roof mounted lcd screen to the Patrol (or any other car for that matter)?
If so, what brand, and how readable is it in sunlight. I'm guessing it wouldn't be affected quite as much up there as on the dash.

Thanks again.

happpyg
28th January 2006, 10:24 AM
My last question to the people out there on this topic;

Does anyone have a roof mounted lcd screen to the Patrol (or any other car for that matter)?
If so, what brand, and how readable is it in sunlight. I'm guessing it wouldn't be affected quite as much up there as on the dash.

Thanks again.

Yes, my workmate after seeing my install wanted something similar but roof mounted. This screen is very similar in specs to my 10.2" Xenarc & he has mounted in the roof. Note - you may need to do something to relocate your rearvision mirror as it will block it out when the screen is folded down. There is a bit of room up in the roof cavity above the roof liner where you may be able to mount the screen up a bit higher if you get creative.

http://dynamixcomputers.com/dyx_102trm.html