PDA

View Full Version : Laptop GPS & 'turn-by turn' indication?!

avanner
23rd January 2006, 09:27 AM
Am [so far] convinced that a laptop with Oziexplorer will suit my needs, set up in a 4WD towing an Avan......but....'turn-by-turn' indication probably means an additional GPS unit....am I right in thinking there's no way of having 'turn-by-turn' indication on a PC screen?

What advantage does Destinator software have as an addition/alternative to Oziexplorer?

Seems to me an external GPS antenna [or a re-radiating antenna] must have some advantage. How the heck does a GPS antenna on the dash always pick up sufficient satellite signals? Seems that sometimes a dash mounted antenna would lose sufficient signals, where a roof unit would be O.K.?!

Any advice much appreciated

Rob Dobson
23rd January 2006, 04:35 PM
I have a laptop with Oziexplorer and a HP Pocket PC. Both of these will connect to my Garmin 10 bluetooth GPS unit. I plan my routes on the PC and then download them into the Pocket PC. Provided I select my waypoint carefully this will give me audio 'turn left 200 meters' etc turn by turn directions. I place the Gamin bluetooth unit on the dash as far forward as possible; most of my drop-outs are caused by dense vegitation overhead.

BurnieM
23rd January 2006, 04:47 PM
Either Copilot live Laptop 7 or Garmins City Navigator Australia v6 (with a Garmin GPS10 or GPS18) will give you turn by turn voice instructions on a laptop

UncySpam
24th January 2006, 11:23 AM
you can also take a look at map monkey - its a rework of destinator that allows it to work on pc.

i didnt like it myself, but then, im a tomtom fanatic :D

Craigus
24th January 2006, 11:51 AM
Do your self a favour and don't touch MapMonkey.. I had nothing but problems with it for weeks. I'm now using 'FreeDrive' never had a single problem with it.

bcasot
24th January 2006, 01:46 PM
Hi,
If I were to purchase destinator and download freedrive, I would be able to use the destinator software on my laptop, which otherwise wouldn't work on a laptop. Is this correct?

Are there any posts anywhere on freedrive-Destinator, is it easy to set up? Are there any cheaper alternatives for autorouting on a laptop? I have city nav 4 that marks out a rout for you, but does not direct you as you are going, it is more for pre planning.

Does anyone know how to export the auto-routed track.gdb,.mps or .gpx from city nav as a rout into ozi?

Paul75
24th January 2006, 02:08 PM
When you say you have city nav 4 I'm assuming thats the one for the Garmin units.
I have city nav 6 which uses Mapsource but I also downloaded nRoute from the Garmin website which allows turn by turn voice directions on the laptop.

Heres the link;
http://www.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=575

Hope that helps.

bcasot
26th January 2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks.

Now have nroute, and looks fantastic, but it does not pick up nmea from gps.

I know I am able to get sat info as I use the same bluetooth gps connected to my laptop with ozi, and it works fine. Is the fact that the gps is not a garmin gps my problem or is it just a matter of some setting.

Any help would be much appreciated. :confused:

Paul75
26th January 2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry mate can't help you on that one as I have a Garmin GPSMap76CS, which works well.
But its probably a fair bet why its not working!!

arthurking83
26th January 2006, 08:29 PM
I can't specifically help any Garmin product......but a hint/tip from my DAST install.

In the DAST install directory there is a file called "mapsend.ini".
As the name implies, it sets the parameters for the mapsend family of products to work!

The line I was searching for, looks something like this.....

[DEVICE_DEFAULTS]
Com_Port=1
Baud_rate=19200
Memory_Size=8000
Conv_Maximum_Number_of_Regions=9
Conv_Memory_Size=16384
Write_Export_Log=0
Write_GPS_Log=0
Write_upload_Log=0
UploadDevice=4
MMC_NAME=detail00.img
SDSpeed=215

As you can clearly see, it sets the port number, and baud rate!

I'm not suggesting that Garmin the same system.....it's worth looking around in there!

Have a look, back up anything that looks remotely "fun" to modify :D , and have a go!!

As long as you back it up it can't hurt.....(a little bit of smoke may be expelled from your optical drive.......... :p )

tes_prize
1st April 2006, 05:32 PM
What is "FreeDrive", is it an emulator that will allow the use of destinator or TomTom maps on a pc? Is it free like mapmonkey and if so where can you get it from to test.

callop99
2nd April 2006, 11:51 PM
FreeDrive is free GPS software made for Carputers based on Destinator 3.

http://www.freedrive.co.uk/