PDA

View Full Version : How to restore software from the SD card? - Aldi 3.5" Tevion GPS Model: PWM-3501

spot
17th March 2009, 08:51 AM
I've had mine crash before and restored the software from a PC, and now its happened again. Dont like needing to use the PC though as this cannot be done if Im away from home.

From reading this forum it looks as though it might be possible to restore the software from an SD card after a system reset (chinese menu thing).
Or maybe run the software from an SD card (so another can be kept as a backup).

If theres anyone who has fiddled with this model & knows any of the titbits of info to do this (or even better, if they know how to do the whole thing) please post it here.

Thanks

spot
21st March 2009, 09:27 AM
Nobody has answered :sad2
So I have been looking into it and am sooooo close :jump1
but cant do the last little bit. :sad2

what I need is a program that can be put on the SD card to copy files from the sd card to the main memory.
Ideally a scriptable batch copier would be great, but even windows explorer would do. (yes i know this is in the machine already)

Heres the catch - you need to be able to run it from the gps after a reset without active sync.
The only way I know to do this is by running a .exe file from the media browser (or pretending it is the gps application) - NB it must be a .exe file

I have tried loading many file explorer style programs to the SD card but they all dont work (some say they are for a different OS - I dont understand)

Wince Gurus please help :soapbox

mlenser
21st March 2009, 02:48 PM
Are you trying to restore Routee 66 or WinCE itself? Why can't you use ActiveSync (XP) or its Vista equivalent "Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1" and transfer via pc? Can you get into WinCE itself?
P.S. I'm no WinCE Guru but this information will be useful.

spot
21st March 2009, 06:24 PM
Im trying to recover the Route66 software which seems to be an issue with these things every once in a while. (haven't had a problem with Wince yet).

Its easy to restore with activesync and a PC but I dont want to carry a laptop on holidays in case the gps decides to play-up. It seems as though an easy(?) way would be to have a backup of route66 + maps on the SD. Just need a way to transfer them to gps memory that can be done with the unit after a 'chinese reset' without activesync .

I was hoping it would be easy but all the file explorer programs I have tried dont work and it cant have batch files without more software ... the learning curve is very steep .

All I need now is a program (an *.exe) on the SD card, that can copy files from the Sd card to the on-board memory. 'explorer.exe' is in wince but there seems no way to access it from the unit after a 'chinese reset' (without using activesync that is).

Do ask if any of the above is unclear.

mlenser
21st March 2009, 08:22 PM
I don't know how to help you copy from SD card to internal memory without a pc but if its just an emergency backup you might be able to just run your Route 66 from the SD card without copying anything across?

spot
22nd March 2009, 08:30 AM
That would be good, but it doesn't work - says 'engine initialisation error ....'. I just don't know why.

Anyway, using explorer.exe to copy it back to original location does work though (but at present I need activesync to get explorer to run).

If I knew more about these devices I could probably come up with a better way, but any way that works would be OK for me.

niss42
22nd March 2009, 10:50 AM
Spot,

Try putting "Tevion GPS Model: PWM-3501" in Forum SEARCH.

Barry

mlenser
22nd March 2009, 11:58 AM
Have you tried http://www.dewantoro.net/2008/08/28/total-commander-v251-free-pocket-pc-file-manager/

spot
22nd March 2009, 09:19 PM
Spot,

Try putting "Tevion GPS Model: PWM-3501" in Forum SEARCH.

Barry

Yes, but havent spotted exactly what I'm after. Did you have any specific threads in mind?

spot
22nd March 2009, 09:21 PM
Have you tried http://www.dewantoro.net/2008/08/28/total-commander-v251-free-pocket-pc-file-manager/

Yes - it didn't work (although I'm not sure Im using/?installing? it correctly). I must confess to being a complete noob to Wince. (Very familiar with XP though)
Maybe theres dependencies that this unit doesn't come loaded with.