PDA

View Full Version : Map Copyright

The Explorer
29th January 2006, 07:50 AM
Is this guy pushing his luck or what? - Obviously screen captures of Magellanís old Mapsend Streets and Tracks calibrated for OziExplorer and sold on eBay!! Australia - the land of opportunity!! Claims to have distribution rights ..but I seriously doubt it (i.e. liar and a thief)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5859331602&rd

Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
29th January 2006, 08:37 AM
Hi Explorer,

You know I was trudging through the maps section of ebay last night too!

I laughed out loud when I saw that as well..... :D

I laughed even harder when I saw this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Set-Topographic-Maps-of-NSW-gps-oziexplorer_W0QQitemZ5859351807QQcategoryZ75327QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem) idiot!!

Look familiar?

Same s#!t, different s#!thead??

I reckon our old mate "mapman" got himself a new ID ;)

The Explorer
29th January 2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Explorer,

You know I was trudging through the maps section of ebay last night too!

I laughed out loud when I saw that as well..... :D

I laughed even harder when I saw this (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Digital-Set-Topographic-Maps-of-NSW-gps-oziexplorer_W0QQitemZ5859351807QQcategoryZ75327QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem) idiot!!

Look familiar?

Same s#!t, different s#!thead??

I reckon our old mate "mapman" got himself a new ID ;)

Well at least he puts a disclaimer of sorts at bottom of page, though he could change "may or may not" to "IS" -

"Copyright notice: The item(s) being sold here may or may not be publicly available at no cost other than your time and download expense, if you can find them, however the format(s) may be different to the format(s) in which I provide the item(s) and I may provide additional information or data or formatting/calibration information than is available elsewhere to make them easier to use. The cost at which I provide this item is charged for the administrative costs of the production and postage of the DVDs/CDs involved and not for the data itself."

Cheers
Greg

festy
29th January 2006, 11:33 AM
OK there he is absolutely WRONG. Although the NSW lands dept is the copyright holder of the *images*, I am the copyright holder of the rest of the data, namely the calibration files and name search files. I do not give him permission to distribute in this method, so he is breaching *my* copyright.
Should I sue? :)

Nicko
5th February 2006, 07:55 AM
The initial thought is to inform ebay that he is breaching copyright and they must remove his auction.

CarputerGeek
5th February 2006, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't bother. I would deffinately contact him and notify him of the situation, he will most likely remove the listing. Then notify eBay (alot of good that will do) and then yes, sue. After all, he's making money from your product?
What have you done so far?

festy
6th February 2006, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't bother. I would deffinately contact him and notify him of the situation, he will most likely remove the listing. Then notify eBay (alot of good that will do) and then yes, sue. After all, he's making money from your product?
What have you done so far?

Ebay are pretty useless when it comes to IP infringement. I contacted them a few weeks ago, they wanted me to fax them a form (in the US) listing all my work that I'd like copyright upheld on, and I got the impression they really couldn't care less about enforcing it.
I think a better way to tackle this is to report to ebay that the seller is selling software on CD-R media, aparently that violates ebay policy, and they'll actually do something about that :)

CarputerGeek
9th February 2006, 07:28 AM
Did you email the seller yet? If you really want him to remove it, I'd at least try that. Maybe email him something that shows you own the rights?

festy
9th February 2006, 07:35 AM
I tried that with mapman_au - he took the auction down straight away.
He started a new one the next day :(

festy
9th February 2006, 08:30 AM
Maybe email him something that shows you own the rights?
Yeah, like "look in the bottom left hand corner of the maps. If you see my email address there, you're violating my copyright" :)
I've just faxed the IP forms to ebay about this latest seller, now to see if anything come from it. Pity it's a private auction, or I'd email each of the 10 bidders and tell them to come here and get them for free :D

The Explorer
27th February 2006, 08:37 PM
Copy of email I was CC'd today.....
"Dear Penrith Maps

It appears from the discussion below and from your on-line products available on e-bay that you are clearly in breach of our copyright. I have also checked our records and it is clear that you are not a commercial customer of ours.

Our mapping has never been available free so I suggest that any 'freely available' copies of the maps that you have and sell have either been illegally copied by yourself or another party with the legend and copyright information removed. These maps are widely available on CD for $29.95 per map.

These maps contain tens of thousands of km of roads and tracks surveyed at great expense by our own field survey teams with each km costing us $3 per km to collect. This is not data that we just give away.

We request that you immediately:
1. destroy all copies of these products in your possession
2. remove these product from sale on e-bay and anywhere else they may be for sale.
3. provide the address of your retail store (as shown in the picture on e-bay) so that we can send a sales representative to call on you, as your store does not seem to exist in the phone book!

In the meantime I have put in an official complaint to e-bay security and will take whatever action necessary to protect our copyright.

Yours sincerely.

Rob Boegheim
General Manager
Hema Maps Pty Ltd
Ph 07 3340 0000
rob@hemamaps.com.au
www.hemamaps.com

PO Box 4365 / 25 McKechnie Dve
Eight Mile Plains QLD 4113
Brisbane Australia"

End Quote

This guy was selling copies of Great Desert Tracks CDs on ebay - hopefully he has got the message

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5869796921&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
27th February 2006, 09:17 PM
I reckon he's the original "criminally insane" loser MapMan from which these thread originated!
Just changed his username, ID, email(??)......etc!

This loser has been operational from about 30-Jan-06, and his sale item is the same C-Map mapping system that loser #1 was pirating back in December :confused:

At least HEMA are now onto him too!!

What I would find disconcerting (if I was a buyer) is that just about all the feedback involves items that have been made "private"!!
How and why?

Maybe we should start a "shame" file(thread).....we're going to need a Derryn Hinch though! :D

AND!
This is just the beginning of the scam haven that ebay is going to become...if it hasn't already :rolleyes:
It's going to sink, by the weight of it's own "albatross"....they're going to have to do something about the scam mongers....and make it all but impossible to get scammed!!