PDA

View Full Version : GPS on a dirtbike

wiggy
29th January 2006, 10:37 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking to get a GPS to mount on the KTM to accompany me on my adventures in the Vic High Country.
Buggered if I know where to start !
What GPS units are worth looking at ?
I spose I want something I can follow my progress on while on the move without having to stop and pull a map out all the time.

WICKED FOODS
30th January 2006, 06:52 AM
I have been using the explorist 500 with fantastic results and using discover Australia maping. All is very easy to use. I have mounted on the explorist bike mount with velcro to allatch, had a few stacks and it still hold firm
Good Luck

Shady
31st January 2006, 05:02 AM
I use a Magellan Meridian Colour on my KTM. Does the job nice although the eXplorist series are smaller and have clearer/brighter screens.

Nearley forgot. I also have it mounted using a RAM Mount....Wouldn't bother using anything else.

arthurking83
31st January 2006, 02:45 PM
.... although the eXplorist series are smaller and have clearer/brighter screens....

I agree! The explorist has a better screen

The Meridian Color screen is dreadful
BUT..........!
The Meridians seem to be the most rugged handhelds(??)

I've yet to see an exploristXL, but all other handhelds feel like mobile phones in comparison to the Meridians!
(that's why I got my MeriColor!)

Mungo
31st January 2006, 02:48 PM
Good to see you posting on this site at last Wiggy, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.This site is a goldmine of information. Hope you get a GPS that suits your requirements real soon. I look forward to hearing of your adventures in the bush.

yellowdog
3rd February 2006, 09:06 PM
Hi All,
I'm looking to get a GPS to mount on the KTM to accompany me on my adventures in the Vic High Country.
Buggered if I know where to start !
What GPS units are worth looking at ?
I spose I want something I can follow my progress on while on the move without having to stop and pull a map out all the time.

Wiggy,

I use a Garmin etrex legend for similar purposes here in WA and it works fine on the handlebars. Have a look at the attachments. THe velcro dots keep it in place along with a couple of decent rubber bands. It has never even looked like coming off, even when I drop the bike!!

yellowdog

forest wanderer
23rd February 2006, 06:36 PM
hi i use a garmin 60C on my WR250f. mounted with a clamp that goes around the bars that i bought with it. yep stacked lots of times and it's still there.still trying to figure it out.it does more things than a mobile phone and has so many settings it's not funny.the screen is colour and pretty easy to read in all light.
i just put some other maps onto it so haven't had a real chance to test them out but they are better in some ways and worse in other than the base map i would love to get a full TOPO map loaded on there but i think none are available.