PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Explorist 600

WICKED FOODS
30th January 2006, 07:00 AM
I have been using a friend of mines explorist 500 and have recently purchased a new explorist 600. The problem is, my computer will not recognise the 600 when I plug it into the usb port so i cannot upload or download tracks or regions, I cannot find any usb drivers for the 600 becuase it says it uses the same as the 500. I also have a problem with the gps unit freezing while plugged into the usb.
Any help would be good

arthurking83
30th January 2006, 03:26 PM
Have you tried looking in Device Manager (...under modems!) to check which port it's using?

Also, you have to set the explorist to the correct communication mode.

I'm assuming you know all this...but!

[Menu] highlight "Adv Features"

[Enter] highlight "Communications"

The options should be "File Transfer", "NMEA Data Comms" and "Power Only"

Make sure the correct option is chosen!

Because you have had no issues with the 500, I reckon you got the comms sussed out??

Maybe re-install the driver (should be the same for 400-600, and XL??)

The two most likely situations would be a driver issue (explorist locking up??) or the virtual com port setting :confused:

ps. :o the question has to be asked! Is the cable (the GPSr end) correctly orientated? (cable running DOWN the back of the explorist)

bluezooky
30th January 2006, 05:22 PM
Personally I plug the GPS before turning on the power if it's set to "file transfer" it opens up a window showing your folders as a disk drive.Tracks and POI are saved to the units memory as a default,this had me a bit confused at first, you need to go into the GPS menu and save them to the SD card.
Regards Charlie

WICKED FOODS
1st February 2006, 05:59 AM
Thanx guys, I eventually uninstalled the program and started from the beginning, it now recognises the unit and magellan conversion goes through all the steps until transferrring at the end it says there was an error transferring, when i get to the home computer i will do9 and print screen and post it

David Johnson
14th March 2006, 04:48 PM
Hi Wicked Foods,
Your problem seems very similar to one I had with my Explorist 500 ( I ended up taking it back for an explorist 210, but that is another story) .
Make sure you have the instruction booklet, and don't go on the on screen instructions. The on screen instructions are not for a USB Connection, and refer to Comm ports and therefore does not recognize the GPS. Basically you don't choose "upload to unit" or "upload to SD Card programmer function but
choose "store on hard drive" and then it asks for a serial number and it should be easy from there. It only took me 4 hours to work that one out!!!!.
Cheers,
David