PDA

View Full Version : Connecting GPS to Laptop Please Help

grub
1st February 2006, 02:04 PM
G'day Everyone,

I recently got a laptop an old sony vaio pcg-f360 (pii 400) running windows 98 and I am having trouble getting communication between gps and computer. I have Mapsource and Ozi and neither of these programs find the gps(garmin gpsiii+). I have tested com port with programs it says ok I have even tried usb-serial with no luck. It is like something is blocking use of all ports, there appears to be no conflicts with modems etc... But me being a bit of a computer dummy doesn't know what else to try. The cable and GPS are OK as they connect with other PCs it just seems to be the laptop.

Any Ideas would be appreciated, Ill try anything.

Regards Dave

Pluto
1st February 2006, 03:42 PM
I have even tried usb-serial with no luckDoes the PC have an inbuilt serial port?

If you have to a USB to serial convertor, then you will probably find the problem is with the OS. Windows 98 doesn't fully support USB.

If you are using an inbuilt serial port, try checking the port speed is set the same at the GPS and PC. Try a slower speed. I have found that serial communications above 4800 in some cases can be unreliable.

grub
1st February 2006, 04:51 PM
I originally tried the serial port and only used a usb-serial adapter i found lying around work to see what would happen, it created a virtual port but still couldn't see the gps I have tried slowing down and speeding up with no luck. Hypertrm couldn't see and info coming in through the port either. Everything seems ok in bios, ports are enabled and there are no conflicts. :confused:

arthurking83
1st February 2006, 05:27 PM
Off on a tangent, and I do realise that you have tried the USB-serial adpter, but have you confirmed that the serial port is working?
(either with another device or with a loopback wire short?)
I remember finding a website that described some steps to take to confirm the port is working (??) Unsure where and how, but Google will be your guiding hand on something like that!

How many serial ports does the laptop have?

Have you tried re-installing the com port driver?

I don't remember much of the Win '98 diagnostic stuff I learned over the years!
Except....... A:\format C:\ :D

One other thing to try/check (etc...) make sure no other program other than Systray and Explorer are running after startup!
If some program is blocking access to a com-port, turn off all unessential programs first!

Like Pluto said....., USB on Win98 can be :eek:

grub
7th February 2006, 08:09 PM
Well I gave trying to connect the garmin via serial and bought usb gps receiver loaded the drivers and it worked straight away :D . hopefully one of the computer guys at work will check out the serial problem, I think setup issues not hardware.

Thanks for advice

vincentvega
8th February 2006, 02:02 PM
did you set up the garmin to spit out NMEA data?

the default setting is for linking 2 garmins together, and wont work with your PC. you need to go into the interface menu and tell it to use NMEA/NMEA

I have a GPS 2+ and this caught me out when i first made a comms cable for it.