PDA

View Full Version : DAST Topo CD "news"

arthurking83
2nd February 2006, 04:14 PM
Ok, I read this in a yahoo group, and is quoted verbatim!

From frednsw...

Thos of you in Aussieland might be interested in the following
information if you are hanging out for the TOPO maps CD.

unfortunately , magellan has told us that they will not produce the cd
for topo. what will be produced however is a viewer program that will
read the topo card thru the unit (slower) or thru an sd card reader
(faster). the expected release of this viewer program (free of charge)
will be mid 2006, thru either download on website or sent out to those
who can't. the viewer will replicate the functions of the cd, or at
least most of the functions

At leat now we know!!!

I damn well hope this is just someone spreading rumors!

While it may help Magellan owners to sort out some planning issues, it really isn't a proper mapping program is it?

There is available from Magellan, two programs to veiw maps and to manage waypoint/route/tracks.

They're called Mapsend Lite and Mapsend Manager, and available from the Magellan (USA) site.

Doesn't look good! :(

michaeld
3rd February 2006, 04:55 PM
what is so hard the dast 1 software is good it should be the same with extra info

Luke
5th February 2006, 10:14 AM
That really sucks, considering a lot of people would have brought the product under the beleif that the CD would be supplied at a later dat. :mad:

Does anybody know it Magellan ever officially said that the CD would be supplied. I thought they had but could be wrong.

arthurking83
5th February 2006, 02:12 PM
I've yet to see anywhere where NextDestination has said that they WERE going to supply the PC software version....

but the implication in this part of the "Product release"

....The maps are currently available at present only as a preloaded SD memory card......

Now if it had read...

"The maps are available as a preloaded SD card......"

'currently available at present only as' seems to imply there is going to be a PC version available at some point!

As I originally said "....I damn well hope this is just someone spreading rumors!"

:confused:

junek
20th April 2006, 02:43 PM
i asked in GPS OZ today about it and they said that there will be NO cd, just this online thing.
and they said 'nid 2006' but in october they were saying the CD will be posted out late 2005, then early 2006, then march 2006, now mid 2006, i would not be surprised if it is never abailable.
magellan / next destination = ****** hopeless. will not buy another magellan product.

mitchofsutho
20th April 2006, 07:45 PM
That really sucks, considering a lot of people would have brought the product under the beleif that the CD would be supplied at a later dat. :mad:

Does anybody know it Magellan ever officially said that the CD would be supplied. I thought they had but could be wrong.

Yep, Next Generation definately advised that there would be a CD version of DAST Topo.

At the 2004 Sydney National 4x4 Show, Next Generation had a display stand next to GPSOZ. Although the stands appeared to be sharing a stand space, the stands were definately separate and any inquiry made to Brian from GPSOZ regarding Magellan DAST Topo was immediately directed to the Next Generation stand, who had a large array of Magellan GPSr, as well as a computer running DAST Topo.

A man on the Next Generation stand, wearing a Next Generation Polo Shirt, introduced himself to me as being from Next Generation. He was demonstrating the vertues of DAST Topo. I spent about 10 minutes with him playing with the demo and discussing the features of the product. He advised that DAST Topo was first being released as an SD card version, with a CD version being released within six months later. He advised that the delay with the release of CD version was as a result of the original base software coming from the US and that it had to be modified for the Australian market.

As it was, the SD version was late in its release and as we all know the CD version has not eventuated. As late as about October last year, I spoke via telephone with staff from Next Generation in Perth, and they were still saying the CD version was to be released, but the release had again delayed, and it was not expected to be released until early 2006, probably in February. Again that deadline has come and gone.

arthurking83
20th April 2006, 08:03 PM
I reckon Mitch may be right, as it would be sheer lazyness on Next Destinations part not to release an Aussie version of 'Mapsend Topo 3D' to Australia after all the hard work of compiling the maps has been done!

I suspect the delays are more a problem of 'anti piracy' bugs, and the PC software registration/authentication requirements to an Aussie erver (??).

Mapsend has been a big failure in the USA becuase of corrupt CD's and stuff like that.

The only way to register the copy of topo 3d in the USA is via the Magellan site...etc.

These are only assumptions based on my readings of the Mapsend issues on the other side.
I just hope that Next Destination don't abandon the promised CD, because "they can't be stuffed"!! :mad:

junek
18th May 2006, 08:50 AM
i should state, that im not angry at GPSOZ. they cant help that their supplier is no good.
GPSOZ is a great store.
i was/am just angry at Magellan/next destination.
jamie

Shady
18th May 2006, 10:56 AM
I had a conversation with ND last week and Eddie Yap, the technical guy there told me that they will not be producing a CD only the reader program as stated in the first post. I wouldn't be surprised if this changes tho.

sexualninja
24th May 2006, 02:50 PM
That blows.

So would purchasing a copy of Oziexplorer allow me to download the DAST topo maps from my SD card into Oziexplorer, manage way points and track logs then upload that information back into my GPS for use on the trails?

If not will any program do that? If not what is Oziexplorer most useful for?

Personally I'd like to download the days ride onto PC so I can see where we've ridden and then plot way points or create a track log on the PC then upload this info back to the GPS so on the next time I'm out on the trails I can use the waypoints.

arthurking83
24th May 2006, 04:12 PM
Oziexplorer won't work with any DAST data(mapping), but will most certainly help organise your waypoints, tracks and routes for loading/downloading to the GPSr.

In fact it is usually better to use Ozi for this purpose, because of the variety of maps you can use with Ozi!

The DAST maps are really only good, because you can load them onto the GPSr, but the maps you can use with Ozi can have much more detail on the image, as they are simply scanned maps (like you get on paper).

Lots of good free(!!??) maps available around various sources, and paying a little bit for the Natmap 250K series is always worthwhile(although you can download individual map images from Geoscience).

I tend to use Ozi with various maps to locate waypoints, for saving onto the GPS.

My only gripe.....is the 8 character limit on naming waypoints for the Magellan Meridian!! (Magellans fault!)

:)

mitchofsutho
12th June 2006, 06:59 PM
I was at the Brisbane Caravan & Camping show over the weekend and Next Generation had a display, which included screenshots from the DAST Topo viewer software.

The rep advised that a release in August is still planned and again confirmed that there will be no CD version of the DAST Topo software.

He advised that the delay had been caused by Magellan in the US as they have control over the viewer software.

From the screenshots I saw, the viewer was pretty impressive. It will do the following:

Allows viewing on a PC/Laptop of the DAST Topo maps, with a compatable Magellan GPSr connected and the DAST Topo SD card installed.
Provides 3D viewing of the maps.
Provides moving map display and capability on a laptop/PC connected to a compatable Magellan with DAST Topo SC card installed.
Provides flyover style viewing in moving map and planning.
Contour lines displayed on all views.
The images I saw were in colour.
Provides a graph on the right side of screen, which displays the altitude of the terrain travelled/to be travelled if plotted.

Based on what I saw, and they were only screen shots, not a working version, the download should be worth waiting for.

It will be interesting to see if the August date is met. I informed Mr Next Generation that they had been developing a bad name with uses due to their handing of the DAST Topo releases and constantly changing information up to 6 months ago. At least, for the last six months or so they have stuck to their latest advises that there will be no CD version of DAST Topo and that only a view would be available for download.

bluezooky
24th June 2006, 01:28 PM
I visited the Sydney Fishing and 4WD show today and the Next Generation rep seemed to have it up and running, didn't speak to the guy,he mightn't of liked my attitude but as least it seems to be getting closer to release.
Charlie

mitchofsutho
24th June 2006, 06:38 PM
I visited the Sydney Fishing and 4WD show today and the Next Generation rep seemed to have it up and running, didn't speak to the guy,he mightn't of liked my attitude but as least it seems to be getting closer to release.
Charlie
Charlie,

You were kinder than I was. The Brisbane guy got my attitude and my opinion of Next Generations handling of the DAST Topo issues...CD false starts...viewer false starts, etc. He appeared to have heard it before, but was polited and at least listened for what it was worth....I felt better and that was what mattered!