PDA

View Full Version : New & confused

Nick O North
4th April 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi all, I'm a new member & hoping someone may steer me in the right direction. I have a GPS60csx and Macbook 10.5. I have downloaded Roadtrip for Mac as couldn't open Trip & Waypoint Mng CD that came with GPS. I have been able to tranfer w/points from GPS - Mac but would like to download topo maps to Mac & GPS. From shonky website was directed to download page at this site & downloaded sm_3.51 for Linus/Macs. Cannot open as no exe. file. Is this because member needs to post 10 items on site & what other software will I need once I can download & install maps? I have already d/loaded Garmin Mapinstall & Garmin Map manager? Would appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
Nick

phillipsart
4th April 2009, 01:35 PM
Go to shonkymaps own website and download the Mac version of Shonkymaps, than all you need to do is doubleclick on the downloaded file, it will unzip than double click the unzipped file, this will open up mapmanager and follow the instructions

countryslicker
4th April 2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Nick

I started off doing exactly what you are doing, but found it very frustrating installing Shonkymaps that way.

In my situation, I found it quicker and simpler to buy the $5 Bundle DVD from this Forum's Online Shop - has everything you'd need. Contours Australia 2.0 + ShonkyMaps 3.51 + Tracks4Australia 1.2, NZ, POIs and much more. There's also a SD card version for $15.

Full details here:

http://octapc.com.au/category801_1.htm

Regards

Robert

Nick O North
5th April 2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks Robert & Phillipsart,
I'm sure I was directed from shonkymaps back to GPSoz for the Mac version which is where I downloaded it as mentioned & would also be happy to pay the $5 for the CD but wasn't sure if they worked on Mac. I have just found the $5 & $15 bundle from the online shop. The maps I was viewing yesterday were only for using on GPS & not computer. Will give shop a call tomorrow. Since you both look like Mac users do you mind if I get back to you if needed & could you tell me regarding private messages. Is it that you can send untold pms, and just not store more than fifty or is fifty sent the total. Haven't done this forum thing before. Do appreciate the advice guys. I had so much trouble getting info from Garmin et. al with first GPS (that never worked & Garmin couldn't fix) that I wasn't looking forward to setting up new GPS with Mac so hearing from you guys is great.
Kind regards,
Nick

Nicko
5th April 2009, 10:11 AM
Just remember that we are three hours behind Sydney, so don't call too early .

countryslicker
5th April 2009, 10:20 AM
Happy to help a fellow Mac user if I can :hatoff

Bear in mind I know nothing about how your particular Garmin GPS60csx works. Mine is just a basic cheap StreetPilot, but I'm extremely happy with it so far (except it doesn't handle daylight saving). All I've bought extra for mine is a blank 2 GB SD card for extra maps, and the $5 DVD bundle from the Forum shop. The DVD contains a lot of non-Mac stuff, but don't concern yourself with that at present.

My Garmin works beautifully together with RoadTrip on my Mac. Be sure to download the Garmin Communicator plugin for Google Maps down the track.

Private messages have a storage limit of 50 messages - check your profile and read the FAQ's. You are welcome to PM me if needed. In some cases I think it best to post your Mac queries online here - then all of Mac users can learn something.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you read my previous Mac post from last year: "Shonkymaps inaccessible on C510"

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7964

Regards

Robert

Nick O North
5th April 2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks Robert & Nicko,
Will follow your advice. Great website
Nick