PDA

View Full Version : PDF to ???

Paul75
6th February 2006, 06:12 PM
What program do you guys use to convert PDF to other formats. All the freeware ones I've tried leave watermarks on the converted image. Any links would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Paul.

bluezooky
6th February 2006, 06:45 PM
I have Fineprint V5, free when I downloaded but I'm not sure about now.The other more complicated way to go is Ghostscript and Ghostgum.
Charlie

Andrew W
6th February 2006, 09:35 PM
Hello,

The best method for converting PDF images to other image formats is the free Adobe Reader 7. Just open the image and adjust to the required resolution, 150% to 200% is best for certain unmentionable PDF map images. Then using the Snapshot Tool draw a rectangle around all of or the required portion of the image / map, it will scroll to the whole image if it is larger than the screen. This is automatically saved to the clipboard. Open free IrfanView and paste. Reduce colors from 16 million to 256, which is best for Ozi. Then save as PNG, JPEG, TIFF etc. I reckon PNG is best for Ozi. A resulting 10MB image usually takes about 1 minute, of course this depends on your computer. Using this free method the resolution and color matching is very close to the original PDF image.

For batch conversions, I use PDF2Image by VeryPDF (there are others of the same name), which gives an excellent result, just load, say 1000 PDF files, and let it churn away while you do something else. PDF2Image costs about US$59, but then again if I want good software, I donít mind paying. I tried many of the freeware / shareware programs but the results were usually crappy.

Andrew W.

clewer
7th February 2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Andrew - Mate I tried your method with Adibe 7 and it works a treat! I did notice though that not all PDF maps seem to work - the snapshop tool doesn't always activate - is there a trick or are some PDFs different??

Thank - John :confused:

Andrew W
7th February 2006, 08:15 AM
John,

Some PDF documents / images have restrictions on certain functions. Check File> Document Properties> Security. PDF2Image usually converts blocked documents / images without any prompting or problems, probably by not being in the Adobe Software Family, it does'nt have to abide by Adobe rules!!

pearler
14th February 2006, 04:58 PM
I have had sucess with Ghostscript Here (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) whats more its free

Pluto
15th February 2006, 04:34 PM
I have had sucess with Ghostscript Here (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/) whats more its freeHow are you getting Ghostscript to interpret the PDF file? Does it have a PDF interpreter built in or do you print to a postscript file?

jrs
17th February 2006, 06:12 AM
I use 'convert', but I am running a linux box. Its free and works well, part of the
ImageMagick suite (http://www.imagemagick.org). Can batch lots of things too.

for those under windows, you can install cygwin to get lots of free good things.

festy
17th February 2006, 06:15 AM
IM is available in native win32, no need to install cygwin