PDA

View Full Version : How do I use the nuvi 5000 out of the car???

nuspook
26th April 2009, 12:39 AM
As yet I don't have an AC power supply, however I have done the internet updates for the unit via USB cable through my PC, however only the "Garmin" screen with a pic of the connection to PC comes up for this operation......

Is it possible to use this system (the USB cable) to power up the nuvi, and if so how is it done? The user manual doesn't seem to reveal this option and I'm not game to muck around in case I do something in!!
Hope someone can help ...

Mal

Nicko
26th April 2009, 11:06 AM
No, the USB is not suited for external power, you need the Cigarette Lighter Cable. It may have something to do with the data wires making the unit think it has to go into PC mode.

nuspook
26th April 2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the reply Nicko,
Maybe you can supply me with an AC power supply for my unit, and a carrying case// I haven't seen these listed anywhere yet ...
Cheers!
Mal

jonesy
27th April 2009, 02:56 PM
No, the USB is not suited for external power, you need the Cigarette Lighter Cable. It may have something to do with the data wires making the unit think it has to go into PC mode.

My guess would be the 5v from the USB is not enough to power the unit.

jonesy
27th April 2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe you can supply me with an AC power supply for my unit, and a carrying case// I haven't seen these listed anywhere yet ...
Cheers!
Mal

I don't think they are meant to be carried, therefore I don't like the chances of finding a case. You might be able to find a camera case or something to use as a substitute.

bshwckr
27th April 2009, 03:46 PM
Cheers!
Mal
Hey Nicko.
I notice you have not responded to this and it has been a whole day. Come on. What could be more important than a sale! :sick3

nuspook
28th April 2009, 01:18 PM
Hey guys, great to see some replies!

...maybe I'll give the shop a call ...

Cheers,
Mal

Gee_You Patrol
28th April 2009, 04:07 PM
Nicko could be showing Amelia how to use the GPSr, soon we will be asking her the questions. :pat