PDA

View Full Version : Explorist 500 no longer recognised by computer

speedy103
28th April 2009, 08:34 PM
Hi,
I had my Explorist 500 LE on my motorbike on the weekend, when it shut down after hitting a solid bump. I rebooted it and it seemed to work fine, until I tried to load a route that was stored on the internal memory. The route and track history were gone. In fact all the internal memory was emptied, including my detailed maps. Then 2 days later I try to connect to my PC and now windows no longer recognises it. The error message Says, "one of the devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and windows does not recognise it". Has anyone else had this sort of problem? Or know what I might be able to do to fix it?
Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ken.

speedy103
8th May 2009, 07:53 AM
I am now not connecting the gps to the computer but simply tranfering data via a card reader. Just means I cant directly access the internal memory.

darylr
8th May 2009, 08:51 AM
Hi Ken,

Sounds like a dry solder joint or break in the connection between the USB plug and the circuit board. These things are so small that it doesn't take much to break the connection.

regards

Darylr

speedy103
8th May 2009, 09:25 AM
Hi Ken,

Sounds like a dry solder joint or break in the connection between the USB plug and the circuit board. These things are so small that it doesn't take much to break the connection.

regards

Darylr

I pulled it apart but couldnt see anything like that, but as you say the things are so small I`d really need a magnifying glass at the least, and even then probably couldnt see a dry joint.

Hoyks
24th June 2010, 06:58 PM
Probably a bit late, being over a year and all, but...

If you are having trouble with the GPS connecting, try clicking on your devices and printers tab in the start menu. Then select the device and uninstall the drivers for it. Unplug the GPS, then plug it in again.
It will now load the drivers to the computer and should sort its' self out. I have used this to cure a connection issue with my Triton a few times.

kongwacker
28th June 2010, 04:42 AM
I'm wondering if you have solved the problem. I've got similar issues, new computer won't recognise 'unknown device'.
Have tried suggestions here about disconnecting and/or reinstalling. Have tried to instal drivers from CD. Nothing seems to be enable pc to recognise the gps.
Any clues would help.