PDA

View Full Version : Comparison opinions please

Slacker
23rd February 2006, 04:47 AM
Going on features/reliabity/versatility alone which of these is the better. I'm new to GPS and looking to get possibly one of these, both currently retailing at 250 here in the UK:

TomTom ONE or the Navman iCN520

Or something else. It'll be used for driving only, not much outback here, and the only places you can get really lost are London and Milton Keynes.

Shady
23rd February 2006, 12:01 PM
Can't really speak for the TOM TOM One but the TomTom GO300 is extremely simply to use and gives clear and audible directions. My other half couldn;t find her way out of the bed without it.

arthurking83
23rd February 2006, 03:44 PM
....... My other half couldn;t find her way out of the bed without it.

Wouldn't it be to your advantage to take it away from her then? ;)

Jackaroo
23rd February 2006, 07:27 PM
Or at least change the map so that all directions point South !! ;)

Slacker
24th February 2006, 03:44 AM
Well, we did a bit of research and although we preferred the look of the Navman the reviews were a bit off putting, especially with regards to maps that are missing roads that have been in use for at least three years, high map update costs (when they become available), so we went for the TomTom One.

Apparently it's simpler to use than the 300 and 500, but since I have no experience of either of those I can make no comparison. I can say that the TomTom One is brilliant though. Took it out of the shop, turned it on and it was ready to go. Didn't even read the instructions.

Used it to direct us back to a garage we'd visited the day before in an unfamiliar part of time without any problems.

Some of the voice commands were a bit misleading, but the mapping was fine.

I'd definitely recommend this unit.

Bubberle
24th February 2006, 04:16 PM
i got the navman 510 aprox 6 month ago :) with the asurance that this is the neues modell and just being reliest
only to find out 4 weeks later there reliest the 520 :confused: and with neu software
installed.
I`m not happy with the Navman services :D

Craigus
24th February 2006, 04:34 PM
Woops.. Bit late on this one but. See my Navman customer 'service' thread (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=913)

I'd be going for a PDA with BT GPSr.. Or the TomTom :cool: