PDA

View Full Version : Making maps from google earth - is it still possible ?

Boc1971
12th May 2009, 06:39 AM
Greetings guys - Was shown GMAPMAKER a while back - downloaded it - now does not work at all ( thanks google!) now is there a Mapping program out there or some other way to make GPS maps ( for Oziexplorer) rather than just manually finding a map in google - saving it - then taking it to oziexplorer and adding in calibration points ?

sorry if this is in the wrong section
- look forward to your replies

Boc

Michael
12th May 2009, 06:48 AM
A Russian program GoogleMV.
Great program. Some area of Google Earth give more zoom than others.
Just been making maps of Barcelona with it last night.
Last year I made maps of my area of East Bentleigh so clear I could see my 10 ft dinghy in the back yard.
Maps I made of the Goulburn River show fallen logs jutting into the river & GPS track from canoeing shows zig zag around them.

The Explorer
12th May 2009, 09:10 AM
Hello
GMapMaker works for me (just tried it then). Are you using the latest "tweaked" Version. V 0.7.2.2

http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe

What settings are you using when it fails. I find selecting zoom levels over 16 can cause probelms.

Cheers
Greg

darylr
12th May 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Boc,

I used gMapmaker last friday to make up pictorial maps of the area around Ebor, NSW with adjoining maps. Total of 6 maps for oziexplorer. Worked beautifully.

I used zoom level 15 to get the detail I needed.

regards

Darylr

Michael
12th May 2009, 09:41 AM
Not sure if the zoom levels mean the same thing in GoogleMV as GMapMaker, but I use level 14 to make a general map of the area I am interested in, then go to 18 or 19 for small areas of special interest.
Made some at zoom 20 of my cousins' houses in London, you can see chairs & people in the gardens.
I download about 1.2 Mb every 30 min, if I try to go any faster Google locks you out for a couple of hours, or even 24 hrs.

Nev
12th May 2009, 11:06 AM
Hi Boc

Greg, Darylr and Michael have explained it perfectly.

I'm certain I am the reason Google now attempts to restrict downloads. In the early days I downloaded all of Australia & NZ at street level and all zoom levels down (up?). Most of these programs have now been "banned" for mass downloads. Guilty your honour!

Good luck.

darylr
12th May 2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Boc,

Just found my notes (read scribble) from last friday.
I made my maps 0.120543 (using decimal Lats & Longs) high and wide to keep the map size (Mbs) down and found that generating the maps was fairly fast. (Fast broadband) No hickups and Oziexplorer had no trouble moving from map to map. Each Tiff file was about 25Mb

regards

Darylr

The Explorer
12th May 2009, 12:53 PM
Hi Boc,

Just found my notes (read scribble) from last friday.
I made my maps 0.120543 (using decimal Lats & Longs) high and wide to keep the map size (Mbs) down and found that generating the maps was fairly fast. (Fast broadband) No hickups and Oziexplorer had no trouble moving from map to map. Each Tiff file was about 25Mb

regards

Darylr

...using what program?

cheers
Greg

darylr
12th May 2009, 02:20 PM
Hi Greg,

As in Post #4 of this thread.

regards

Darylr

The Explorer
12th May 2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Greg,

As in Post #4 of this thread.

regards

Darylr

Sorry - not paying attention. Like you I find it works well. Gave up on Google MV a year or two ago - but others obviously have success with it.

Cheers
Greg

Boc1971
16th May 2009, 09:37 AM
Hi Boc

Greg, Darylr and Michael have explained it perfectly.

I'm certain I am the reason Google now attempts to restrict downloads. In the early days I downloaded all of Australia & NZ at street level and all zoom levels down (up?). Most of these programs have now been "banned" for mass downloads. Guilty your honour!

Good luck.

Hi there , dont supose you still have those maps you downloaded do you ????

Boc

Nev
16th May 2009, 12:41 PM
Hi there , dont supose you still have those maps you downloaded do you ????Yes, but I have no way of distributing the 250+GB! GOOGLE may :ouzi me.

sixty at last
28th June 2009, 03:13 PM
Hi guys, I have just tried to load the program ex the:

No Re Member

Hello
GMapMaker works for me (just tried it then). Are you using the latest "tweaked" Version. V 0.7.2.2

http://www.mgmaps.com/cache/gMapMaker-setup.exe

Unfortunately it gives a run time error/ any clues?

Also I have tried to use another program ex http://aeguerre.free.fr/Public/Windows/NoniMapView/EN/

Unfortunately #2 this program appears to be non-responsive at the start command - has anyone tried this Pls?

Cheers.

Nev
28th June 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi sixty at last

gMapMaker 0.7.2.2
NoniMapView 0.22

Both programs work fine here on my XP setups.
Have you installed the latest java runtimes?
GOOGLE will find them for you.

sixty at last
28th June 2009, 03:58 PM
Hi Nev, thanks for that.

In the interim I (read my technical support) has worked out that the latest OziExplorer upgrade allows me to do what I needed to calibrate the images (and import in to OE) using the 'load and calibrate map' function.

Cheers. John.