PDA

View Full Version : Importing to Mapsource

john d
18th May 2009, 08:53 AM
Hi ,
I am trying to import an excel file to my mapsource program with no luck. What format does the file need to be in and how do i convert it? If any one can help it would be greatly appreciated as i have about 600 marks and dont feel like enetering them manually,

cheers,

John.

Nicko
18th May 2009, 10:27 AM
use gpsbabel to convert to a format to suit.

Nev
18th May 2009, 10:53 AM
Share your file (or a little bit) and someone here will help you very quickly. We need to see your CSV format.

A GOOGLE SEARCH "mapsource csv format" (sigh) may also help!
etc. etc. & etc. - etc.
First hit: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/8160

john d
18th May 2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys,
I will give it a go using the link from google,

cheers,

inspired
19th July 2009, 10:42 AM
This looks like the best thread to ask my question.
Firstly a big thanks to all those providing help on this forum, I've recently bought an oregon 400c, thru info on this site I've updated the gps with the latest firmware, downloaded mapsource via the garmin training centre and downloaded shonky maps. I've been able to transfer waypoints to and from my GPS but when transferrring tracks to mapsource I'm only getting the current track. How do I find & transfer the saved tracks on the gps to mapsource??

Dooghan
19th July 2009, 12:10 PM
On my 60CSx the all my track logs are saved to the SD card. They have the name of date.gpx (eg 20090717.gpx). I've got days and weeks of track logs saved on the card. Could be the same on yours.

Detectist
19th July 2009, 12:23 PM
Hi inspired
When you use Mapsource and the transfer from GPS option you should see a Device Settings box. There are options there to tick about what you want to receive, inlcuding tracks. Make sure you have your device showing and not your MSD card - the Oregon GPS only saves to the unit not to the card.
If that doesn't work - and it should so have a close look at what is happening - then use file manager to go into your GPS\Garmin folder and you should see all of your GPX files. Just copy/cut the files you want and paste to your appropriate computer folder.
Detectist.

inspired
19th July 2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a MSD card yet. (The 4gb card mentioned elsewhere on this site looks like the go.) Mapsource gives me the choice of the oregon 400c unit or removable F drive which I guess is the MSD card when its installed. Checked the file manager. Current track files are stored under E:Garmin/GPX/Current/date.gpx which appears to be where mapsource is looking. The saved files are located E:/Garmin/GPX/date.gpx. Can I get mapsource to default to this folder when transfering files from the gps unit?
I manually copied the files to my hard drive and was able to get mapsource to open them. Also can use the mapsource file/open option to open the GPX folder in the GPS unit.
Now for some playing with mapsource to see what it can do and work on my next question.

inspired
26th November 2009, 03:23 PM
I use my oregon 400c for sailing, when downloading the track data, the speed units are km/hr, even though I have all my displays showing knots. Am I able to change the units in the track data saved and also have a choice in what data is saved?
Also, on the map screen, is there an option to show the projected track (straight line based on current heading) from the current position?

Nicko
26th November 2009, 04:12 PM
I use my oregon 400c for sailing, when downloading the track data, the speed units are km/hr, even though I have all my displays showing knots. Am I able to change the units in the track data saved and also have a choice in what data is saved?
Also, on the map screen, is there an option to show the projected track (straight line based on current heading) from the current position?

All GPS from all manufacturers receive and store data in lats and longs datum format WGS84 datum in raw format. Your GPS will display anything that you want but the data still remains stored onthe GPS or PC etc in the raw datum format and datum.

All the GPS is doing is doing a conversion for you to see it in the format you want to see, that is all.

For a straight line, you have to have a point to head to. How would it know what heading you want otherwise? Thus a track is not a waypoint.

Detectist
26th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi Inspired
I think you were also asking about how to change units of measurement in Mapsource. Did you try "Edit\preferences\units\distance and measurement"? nautical miles knots m/ft are options.
If you were also referring to Mapsource's map screen a bit of playing would have given you what you want with bearing. Look for the ruler or go into "tools".
Detectist

Nicko
26th November 2009, 05:44 PM
Not with it today :crutches

inspired
26th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the quick replies, I changed the units in mapsource so fixed one query.
The straight line I was after is on the map screen of the GPS and is a drawn bearing line from the current position in the direction of travel, I think this is referred to as a "heading line" on a chart plotter. I have tried to find something similar on the oregon but I don't think it is available.

Detectist
26th November 2009, 07:42 PM
I think Nicko's right in that you need to have a waypoint (or POI) that you are heading to and then just use the "Where To" screen. I get a purple straight line from where I am to that point. That's using Shonky on the Oregon 300. OSM might try to calculate a route on road if that option is selected. What maps were you using? hmmm just reread your post - not too many roads on the water I suppose. I do not use Bluechart or other seafaring maps so I do not know if they apply as per my advice with Shonky.