PDA

View Full Version : position of Gps in car

dusty sweep
5th March 2006, 06:20 PM
Just puchased a Garmin Street Pilot c320. Does it have to be mounted on the windscreen or can it be mounted down by the gear lever.

Wondering if it's reception, tracking etc will be affected if mounted down low and not the dashboard.

Any advice would be appreciated

arthurking83
5th March 2006, 07:47 PM
.......Wondering if it's reception, tracking etc will be affected if mounted down low and not the dashboard......

Yes, almost always will be affected.......but you could always try it out, and move it around as you please!

You'll find it loses reception when under tree cover or in the city (surrounded by taller buildings, much easier!!

I think there may be an external aerial available for the c320......(but I may be confusing it with the 26x0 models???).
If one is available...get it!

The only other problem with mounting the GPS low is that when looking at the GPS, as it gives out instructions, you have further to look! (ie. eye's off the road longer! Hopefully you won't get into the situation where it would have made a difference.......!

dusty sweep
6th March 2006, 06:13 PM
Will heed the advice

David Johnson
14th March 2006, 04:34 PM
Hi Dusty Sweep,
I have a Garmin c320 and have to agree with Arthur. One thing that seems to affect the Garmin- not so a Magellan handheld- is my Commodore has a middle part of the Windscreen that has a kind of pattern that prevents the c320 from working at all. It works fine to either side.
Cheers, David