PDA

View Full Version : Integrity

Ray2008
1st June 2009, 07:12 AM
Earlier this year, I bought some software from an Australian on-line retailer and received a DVD in due course. Some months later, I received a second copy, obviously because of a doubling up on the first order. Rather than just keep the second DVD and act coy should I ever be asked about it, I immediately contacted the retailer and said Iíd received the second DVD and if they'd send me a mailing bag, Iíd send it back.

I got a response saying that if I put it in a Platinum Express bag, theyíd reimburse me for the cost. OK, I was happy with that, as the retailer seemed reputable. Some time passed and I hadnít been reimbursed, so I contacted the retailer. Heíd obviously received the DVD and then asked for my BSB and account number, so that he could deposit the money directly back into my bank account and I passed on the details. After some time, the money still hadnít appeared and so I wrote again, enquiring if there had been any problems.

This time I received a response asking for the cost of the original DVD (as if one had to ask) and the last four numbers on my credit card. I responded politely wondering why the original details Iíd sent werenít enough, such that credit card details were now required. I've received no response, so I let things go once more for a while and then asked if there were any problems. Still no response, so it looks like that's an answer in itself.

Two things Iíve learned from this are, that my integrity is still intact and should this happen again, Iíd still offer to return the product, but I would have to get the postal costs up front. Secondly, the integrity of the retailer is clearly worth only $11.90 (the cost of the bag). Iíll take that as another small cost in the lesson of life and certainly not buy or recommend that retailer again. What a way to run a business. What would you have done?

Cheers

Ray

Nicko
1st June 2009, 12:05 PM
I can only respond to this with an apology for the delay in paying you back the $11.90 for the freight return. $11.90 is not worth not crediting for whatever reason. The crux of the original issue of over supplying is due to a change in the order process and in some sense due to a order process that is not infallible. I came into work today (WA public holiday) to catch up on issues like yours.

Ray2008
1st June 2009, 01:11 PM
Appreciate that and your public reply. The money wasn't the issue, more an issue of values.

Cheers

Ray

Nicko
1st June 2009, 01:21 PM
In 9 years of running the business I have never not paid back anyone even when neither party had done anything in error. Sometimes customers make an error in which GPS they purchased and I have always swapped for the one they wanted, makes good business sense but also because I understand the a partnership is important. However, regrettably a partnership can get strained by a lack of communication or resolving issues in a timely manner.

4X4
16th June 2009, 04:09 PM
Ray, at least you can hold your head high. However, it doesn't give you confidence to deal again with this supplier. Communication is the key, keep the customer informed.

Nicko
16th June 2009, 04:21 PM
And at least I give my customers an opportunity to voice their issues and concerns, even if it embarrasses me something no other dealer would do. No dealer is perfect, thus I suspect you will soon run out of dealers to buy from. But if you are still with Telstra obviously a sucker for punishment.