PDA

View Full Version : Street Address Entry/Search Not Requiring Suburb

mattsawyear
16th June 2009, 05:23 PM
I have a Tom Tom One XL. One thing I'm not happy with, is how I MUST know the suburb if I want to navigate/find a destination address. I hear there are units where this is not required; I can punch in a street name or part of a street name, and a list of similar streets will be listed - with their respective suburbs next to it. One can then choose accordingly. Can anyone tell me which in car GPS has this function?

I've no idea how to search in the forums for similar discussions, of which there must be at least a few - so I'm sorry if you have to repeat yourself. Or just kindly link me to the threads? Many thanks.

Cheers: T.Y. :hatoff

BUCK
16th June 2009, 10:24 PM
I have both the Garmin Nuvi 660 and 760 and both units allow you to search a specific suburb or search all. I imagine all the Garmins are the same.
Cheers Buck

mattsawyear
17th June 2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Buck. I don't think all Garmin units are the same like the 760s: I've played with the lesser units in the stores, and this feature was specifically what I was looking for, and did not find. Can't remember the model, but a Mio I played with (in the US Radio Shack) did have the feature.

Nev
18th June 2009, 11:04 AM
The SEARCH features in Garmin nuvis appears to be very dependent on the mapset setup rather than any hardware/software issues.
Even on my now obsolete 250/250W units some mapsets allow for searching via your TomTom method, others demand as first option: Country, State, suburb or street number and the non autorouting mapsets e.g. Shonkymaps have no SEARCH options at all.
Blame the map creator for any problems. :thumbsup Yes I do have some experience. :welcome