PDA

View Full Version : iGO8 & OziExplorerCE

hunter40
18th June 2009, 06:10 PM
Hi All,
Iam new at this so here goes, I have brought a double din car dvd/gps navigation unit (China -No Brand ) it runs WinCE 5 I have a licenced iGO8 maps that came with it, now what I would like to do is add OziExplorerCE so that I have bush tracks as well as city, I have been told that it will take any maps that is compatable with WinCE 5 so I have downloaded Ozi CE on a SD card but when I put the sd card in the unit it says that can't excutible shell file or something like that I have also tried putting it on the iGO8 sd card same thing what am I doing wrong. any help thanks
hunter40

Wahroonga Farm
18th June 2009, 06:49 PM
Does iGO8 run via the SD card?

Have a look at the card with iGO8, as there will most likely be some simple text file pointing to the iGO8 executable.

Mimic this on your new SD card with OziCE's executable.

hunter40
18th June 2009, 06:58 PM
Does iGO8 run via the SD card?

Have a look at the card with iGO8, as there will most likely be some simple text file pointing to the iGO8 executable.

Mimic this on your new SD card with OziCE's executable.

Yes iGO8 is on a 2gb SD card
There is a shell notepad in the folder
igo8\iGO8.exe
I changed it to
igo8\iGO8.exe\OziExplorerCE.exe
it shows up on the menue but when you hit the gps button it say's can't find excutible shell file?

Wahroonga Farm
18th June 2009, 07:04 PM
Yes iGO8 is on a 2gb SD card
There is a shell notepad in the folder
igo8\iGO8.exe
I changed it to
igo8\iGO8.exe\OziExplorerCE.exe
it shows up on the menue but when you hit the gps button it say's can't find excutible shell file?

The shell.ini is a simple addressing text file.

In the first instance it is pointing to folder iGO8 then the executable.

For Ozi CE you must change the shell.ini to address the Ozi CE folder and executable.

hunter40
18th June 2009, 07:06 PM
The shell.ini is a simple addressing text file.

In the first instance it is pointing to folder iGO8 then the executable.

For Ozi CE you must change the shell.ini to address the Ozi CE folder and executable.

How do I do that? sorry to be a pain but Iam very new at this

hunter40
18th June 2009, 07:12 PM
How do I do that? sorry to be a pain but Iam very new at this

Please do not open multiple threads. Please see responses here.

sorry about the multiple threads I was'nt sure which one I was supposed to be in

bshwckr
18th June 2009, 07:28 PM
You need to download the PNA version of Oziexplorer and follow the install instructions.

Wahroonga Farm
18th June 2009, 07:29 PM
By default OziExplorerCE will be installed into a folder called OziExplorer.

So something like

OziExplorer\OziExplorerCE.exe

hunter40
18th June 2009, 07:36 PM
You need to download the PNA version of Oziexplorer and follow the install instructions.

Ok so do I need to download OziExplorer before I dowload the CE?

hunter40
18th June 2009, 07:40 PM
By default OziExplorerCE will be installed into a folder called OziExplorer.

So something like

OziExplorerCE\OziExplorerCE.exe

When I downloaded OziCE from the web site it was in a zip so I extracted to a new folder that I put in the sd card and renamed new folder OziExplorer but this must wrong?

hunter40
18th June 2009, 07:44 PM
As I said Iam very new at this so could we start again please
Step 1) Download OziExplorer or OziExploereCE or both?
Step 2)
Step 3)
Step 4)

Sorry to be a pain

bshwckr
18th June 2009, 07:48 PM
Ok so do I need to download OziExplorer before I dowload the CE?
Sorry I meant the PNA version of OziexplorerCE, which sounds like you have.
On my PDA, the file structure of Ozieplorer is;
Oziexplorer 2\OziexplorerCE

Wahroonga Farm
18th June 2009, 08:09 PM
We're all tripping over ourselves. :)

Bshwckr is on the right track. My memory fails me at times. :)

... with a '.exe' on the end for the shell.ini

Nicko
18th June 2009, 10:49 PM
Be aware that your copy of iGo is not a licensed copy.

hunter40
19th June 2009, 03:17 AM
Be aware that your copy of iGo is not a licensed copy.

I tried to copy it to another 2gb sd card placed it into the gps and it could'nt find shell?

Wahroonga Farm
19th June 2009, 06:42 AM
It's all on the OziExplorer site.

As advised earlier, download the PND 'ARM compatible' runtime version.

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/oziexplorerce1.html

Then from the help pages

PDA's which DO NOT use ActiveSync

If your PDA does not use ActiveSync (it is a WinCE core device) then you can use the runtime download of OziExplorerCE.

The runtime download must be unzipped and then copied to a memory card which is used in your PDA.
In addition read the Tutorial in the help file (included in the download).

Note: This is in the help available on the web site and also available in the subset of the full help available in OziExplorerCE on the CE device.

hunter40
19th June 2009, 02:40 PM
Ok guys I had another go at it,
I dowloaded wince_core_runtime_arm to a folder
Then extracted to that folder
Then I copied & paste each to the sd card
Placed sd card in gps
Gps- Can't find Excute files in shell in

not working

Wahroonga Farm
19th June 2009, 02:48 PM
Hi,

1. What 'folder' (name) did you place the extracted Oziexplorer files into?

2. What are the contents of the shell.ini which must be in the root of the SD card.

3. What were the original contents of the shell.ini?

hunter40
19th June 2009, 02:56 PM
Hi,

1. What 'folder' (name) did you place the extracted Oziexplorer files into?

2. What are the contents of the shell.ini which must be in the root of the SD card.

3. What were the original contents of the shell.ini?

1. I extracted to a new folder on my laptop desk top then copy & paste the straight to the sd card

2. How do I find shell.ini contents on sd card?

Wahroonga Farm
19th June 2009, 03:18 PM
1. What is the OziCE folders name?

2. You must copy and paste a 'shell.ini' to the root of the SD card. Use a text editor to modify the contents of the 'shell.ini' e.g. windows notepad.

The simple text string in the shell.ini is the GPS executable 'addressing system'. It must 'point to' Ozice as described earlier.

Study the iGO8 SD card contents and surely you will work it out.

hunter40
20th June 2009, 05:04 AM
1. What is the OziCE folders name?

2. You must copy and paste a 'shell.ini' to the root of the SD card. Use a text editor to modify the contents of the 'shell.ini' e.g. windows notepad.

The simple text string in the shell.ini is the GPS executable 'addressing system'. It must 'point to' Ozice as described earlier.

Study the iGO8 SD card contents and surely you will work it out.

1. I open notepad & typed \sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorer.exe saved as all files on sd card

2. create new folder in sd card & renamed oziexplorer

3. unzipped wince_core_runtime_arm to a folder on my computer

4. Then I copied & paste each to the oziexeplorer folder on the sd card

5. Open sd card and I have shell note & oziexplorer folder

6. Placed sd card in gps it read \sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorer.exe

7. Click gps and it comes up can't find excutible in shell.ini

I have got to be doing something wrong here.

Ok so I downloaded & unzip unzipped wince_core_runtime_arm to new folder on my computer, when you unzip but before extracting there is a file that's named oziexplorerce.exe once I extract it it becomes a icon oziexplorerce this is what I copy & paste to the ozi folder on the sd card

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 06:03 AM
You're nearly there ... I think. At least you now have a valid shell.ini, but still the wrong values.

There'll be a lot more to work out once you get Ozi running. Please first check the other threads in the Oziexplorer section and start a new thread if you have any questions. :)

Yours is ok up to \sdmmc\oziexplorer\

Have a look in the Ozi folder for the items ending in .exe. The one you want is 'OziExplorerCE.exe'

So \sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorerCE.exe should be the contents of your shell.ini.

hunter40
20th June 2009, 06:48 AM
You're nearly there ... I think. At least you now have a valid shell.ini, but still the wrong values.

There'll be a lot more to work out once you get Ozi running. Please first check the other threads in the Oziexplorer section and start a new thread if you have any questions. :)

Yours is ok up to \sdmmc\oziexplorer\

Have a look in the Ozi folder for the items ending in .exe. The one you want is 'OziExplorerCE.exe'

So \sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorerCE.exe should be the contents of your shell.ini.

Sorry missed typed above.
I did have the shell typed
\sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorerCE.exe

But as I said when I unzipped the download there was a OziExplorerCE.exe in it but when I cut & paste it to the sd card ozi folder it just became OziExplorerCE so I renamed it to OziExplorerCE.exe

and when I put in gps it reads \sdmmc\oziexplorer\OziExplorerCE.exe OK

but when you go to navitgate it
it comes up with
can't find excutible file in shell.ini

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 07:50 AM
Unzip it again. What unzip proggie are you using? Was the OZICE download complete? The zip file (wince_core_runtime_arm.zip) is 3,794 KB. You can't simply go renaming things.

It must look exactly like the folder view I pasted above. The OziExplorerCE.exe is 1,378 KB

Make sure the folder view you have selected shows the file extensions.

The SD card should look like this.

hunter40
20th June 2009, 09:04 AM
Unzip it again. What unzip proggie are you using? Was the OZICE download complete? The zip file (wince_core_runtime_arm.zip) is 3,794 KB. You can't simply go renaming things.

It must look exactly like the folder view I pasted above. The OziExplorerCE.exe is 1,378 KB

Make sure the folder view you have selected shows the file extensions.

The SD card should look like this.

OK I now have got something happening it will now load
it asked reg code which I don't yet so I press ok
it comes up with a page can't find default pages looking gps which it finds
page stays there then it is checking map index while other pages are still showing it freezes

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 09:44 AM
Unzip and load the contents into the 'map' folder on the SD card.

It's a basic world map.

It should come up once gps location is found and show your location on the planet.

Not sure why it's not there already.

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 10:00 AM
Then unzip this one for a better 'view' of Australia.

There are more large scale maps if you go to:

http://www.oziexplorer.com/ then maps

hunter40
20th June 2009, 12:10 PM
Then unzip this one for a better 'view' of Australia.

There are more large scale maps if you go to:

http://www.oziexplorer.com/ then maps

Ok looks like I might have it ,I downloaded again eveythink seems to work Thanks for the maps (world) even in the last download they showed up,
Do you actually see any roads or tracks or that is where you have to buy oziexplorer?

And now that I have this on a sd card without ripping your hair out is possible to put osi on the same sd card as iGO8 maps

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 12:28 PM
Ok looks like I might have it ,I downloaded again eveythink seems to work Thanks for the maps (world) even in the last download they showed up.Excellent :hatoff

Do you actually see any roads or tracks or that is where you have to buy Oziexplorer?You are running the demo version. It's 100% working but will show 'demo' on the maps and shut down every 20minutes or something like that.

So spend your $40 and get a key.

You need high resolution Ozi maps to show more detail. Search through the various 'map threads' for some free 25k and 50k jewels. The Geoscience Natmap 250k (around $100) is a good start for all of Aussie. You can view the map detail online. Then there's Hema maps and a bunch of other speciality maps for small regions.

And now that I have this on a sd card without ripping your hair out is possible to put osi on the same sd card as iGO8 mapsYes ... but. Ozi maps are quite large, so most look to 8Gb cards plus. Your cheap and cheerful GPS may be limited to 2Gb cards though,

hunter40
20th June 2009, 12:42 PM
Excellent :hatoff

You are running the demo version. It's 100% working but will show 'demo' on the maps and shut down every 20minutes or something like that.

So spend your $40 and get a key.

You need high resolution Ozi maps to show more detail. Search through the various 'map threads' for some free 25k and 50k jewels. The Geoscience Natmap 250k (around $100) is a good start for all of Aussie. You can view the map detail online. Then there's Hema maps and a bunch of other speciality maps for small regions.

Yes ... but. Ozi maps are quite large, so most look to 8Gb cards plus. Your cheap and cheerful GPS may be limited to 2Gb cards though,

Ok I let sleeping dogs lie and carry the 2 sd cards I'll also buy the licence
Just out of curitosity with the demo maps they did'nt show any roads and the one you sent me only showed where I was in a map of QLD but no road.

Wahroonga Farm
20th June 2009, 12:55 PM
Those maps have very little detail. Basically a school map.

You might try this for a slightly better map?

Enter Queensland.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/view.php?pg=mapsearch

Edit No .... it's another large scale map. But if you move south of the border you'll get some 25k stuff.

hunter40
20th June 2009, 05:22 PM
Those maps have very little detail. Basically a school map.

You might try this for a slightly better map?

Enter Queensland.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/view.php?pg=mapsearch

Edit No .... it's another large scale map. But if you move south of the border you'll get some 25k stuff.

Thanks mate
Is a free map of australia that I can download for free as I want to get my head around it first before I look at buying the hemma ones I read the was one on Geoscience Australia 1:250k series but really don't which one it is.

Wahroonga Farm
21st June 2009, 06:14 AM
You can view the resolution of the Geoscience Natmap 250k series on line for anywhere on the map. Go to 'Map Connect'.

http://www.ga.gov.au/nmd/mapping/interactive_maps.jsp

Byrnsie
6th July 2009, 06:54 PM
I have just joined this forum after buying a unit very similar to this one. Mine seems to be working ok. There are good setup tips here though which I will use to make sure mine is setup right.

Cheers - Byrnsie

harv1
16th July 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi All,
Iam new at this so here goes, I have brought a double din car dvd/gps navigation unit (China -No Brand ) it runs WinCE 5 I have a licenced iGO8 maps that came with it, now what I would like to do is add OziExplorerCE so that I have bush tracks as well as city, I have been told that it will take any maps that is compatable with WinCE 5 so I have downloaded Ozi CE on a SD card but when I put the sd card in the unit it says that can't excutible shell file or something like that I have also tried putting it on the iGO8 sd card same thing what am I doing wrong. any help thanks
hunter40
I have Oziexplorer ce and igo8 running on my mio moov 300 all working ok but Ozi ce is now running a bit erratic it j e r k s a bit now after loading igo8 on it.
Does your GPS do the same

photohiker
21st July 2009, 10:24 AM
I have Oziexplorer ce and igo8 running on my mio moov 300 all working ok but Ozi ce is now running a bit erratic it j e r k s a bit now after loading igo8 on it.
Does your GPS do the same

What format are your Ozi maps in?

harv1
21st July 2009, 11:22 AM
What format are your Ozi maps in?
Hi photohiker
I have been useing ozfx3 format useing image to ozf.
Useing initial resize % 60 and 256 coulers
harv1

brcolo
2nd August 2009, 08:34 PM
I have also purchased a unit like hunter40 & are having trouble with setting the gps time. It only displays 12:01pm & doesn't change. Can someone please help!!!!!!!
Also can someone tell me how to post maps to this site.

Nicko
2nd August 2009, 11:07 PM
must be zipped. make sure you post maps that are not copyright