PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Logic and SUNA Traffic in Brisbane

vamvany
8th July 2009, 08:43 PM
I have a 765T using SUNA traffic.
So far I am not able to understand the logic that Garmin is using with this traffic feed and would appreciate some information on how it is supposed to function.
I travel on these roads a minimum of 3 hours each day, from the North of Brisbane to Rocklea in the South, using various routes, these are not one off experiences.
Example 1:
Most times it indicates traffic ahead ( specifically excluding freeways at this time ) I have checked the traffic map and see red marking impending traffic ahead, I have continued on to see how much traffic is there (testing the system) only to find that the road is clear and traffic is flowing very easily.
Conversly on many occasions on freeways it is indicating green trafic conditions and yet the traffic is at a standstill.
Incidentally, all of the above examples are in Brisbane traffic areas and have been tested many times.
So what I want to know is;
What sort of flow or lack of flow gets a red indication mark.
The small number next to the red dot IE; 04 means what?
Why does the GPS not route or attempt to route around the supposed traffic, when there are other altenatives, and at what level will it redirect, if at all.
Is SUNA actually working in Brisbane and my reason for questioning this is I have information that the under road sensors do not provide live updates at this time in Brisbane, so do they get this information from the traffic centre/helicopter etc?
If I were to be asked whether I would recommend traffic on a new GPS I am afraid I would not.
Any other experiences out there?
Finally, the Garnin routing is generally odd ( verses my Tomtom ) IE; when I travel from Redcliffe to Darra and select the Fastest route or even the shortest.
Just after the Hornibrook bridge it indicates a left turn down Brighton terrace towards Sandgate, to go where? I do not know, because even if it is trying to pick up Sandgate road,the fastest way is strait down the freeway a distance of about 4km the other way it indicates, even if you are sharp and know the area very well ( I do I lived there for 6 years ) it has stop streets, traffic lights and definitely is longer.
Also, for some strange reason it always tries to take me through Brisbane centre over the Story bridge instead of using the inner city bypass, even though there must be at least 15 traffic lights to pass if going through the city and the by pass is not a toll road and I only have avoid traffic selected in settings, this is comming from both directions North or South.
These are not the only examples I have of strange routing.
Any comments on the logic/planning.
thanks
chris f

Nicko
8th July 2009, 11:10 PM
Nuvi 765T, where did you buy it from, we don't have a Nuvi 765T available in Australia.

vamvany
9th July 2009, 05:25 PM
Nicko,
come on, it's a 765 witht the Traffif plug in arial
chris

Nicko
9th July 2009, 09:05 PM
A Falcon with an aftermarket XR8 badge doesn't make it an XR8 ;)

:hysterica

Ok, well you have a Nuvi 765 with a GTM-20

vamvany
10th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Attempting to get someone with some serious input.
Has any one an answer to my original question?
Does anyone know how the trip calculation logic is programmed so I can try to understand why the Garmin is so different from a Tomtom.
And, does anyone have any information or like experiences to add regarding SUNA

Nicko
10th July 2009, 06:40 PM
Get the 2010 update and see if you have same issues. If you purchased after May 2009 you may have a free update.

vamvany
12th July 2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks Nico, already ordered one