PDA

View Full Version : DAST to DAST TOPO upgrade

Les Addison
20th March 2006, 02:13 PM
Official reply from Next Destination .As from my email re updating DAST to Topo DAST..From your suggestion . Thanks , Arthur , Looks like they have got us by the short
& curlies..O well ,better than nothing.. Les

Hi Les,
Thanks for your enquiry,
You can use your DiscoverAus CD (V1) to upgrade and get the DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks Topo (V2) for $250 as opposed to the ordinary $399.99 charge. You will have to ask specifically for the Meridian one, as there is one formatted for the Meridian and one for the Explorist range - they cannot work in both.The upgrade is done through our head office - Next Destination - PO BOX 262, Mt Hawthorn, WA 6915. You'd have to send in your DAST CD plus proof of purchase plus your contact details. Upon receiving them we will contact you for payment and then send both your DAST Cd and the new TOPO back to you.

Regards
Teresa Taylor
Customer Support

Next Destination
PH +61894440233
FAX +61894432598
www.nextdestination.com.au

arthurking83
20th March 2006, 02:50 PM
Official reply from Next Destination ....

You'd have to send in your DAST CD plus proof of purchase plus your contact details. .....

Regards
Teresa Taylor
Customer Support

Next Destination
PH +61894440233
FAX +61894432598
www.nextdestination.com.au

PROOF OF PURCHASE!!! :eek:

I chucked out my receipt about 2 years ago!!!!

So I have a copy of DAST v1, but because I don't live like a magpie.....I can't get an upgrade? :mad:

How many people have a reciept from 2 or 3 years ago (non business that is)?

They need to re-evaluate their conditions!

I can understand the..... "specify if it's a Meridian or Explorist" ....as the two are in different formats.

But if I have a legit CD of the previous version..........AAAARGGGGHHH! that makes me :mad:

helterskelter400
21st March 2006, 07:29 AM
give them a stat dec and if someone else was with you when you bought it, get them to do a stat dec as well.

they cant argue with that (and if they stall, give them heaps (loyal customer ect).

mitchofsutho
21st March 2006, 08:05 AM
Arthur,

Call them and explain the situation of the lost/disposed of receipt. If they still insist, suggest that they keep the DAST V1 CD.

You could always go back to the retailer from who you purchased the DAST V1 and see if they can provide a duplicate receipt.

Good luck, as I'm in the same boat!

Les Addison
21st March 2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas ,have a confession here , it was in leu of payment for a job , have an idea cd is of one of them ?? types?? Might have to come out of retirement , & do another job for a Topo . ahem . Have a question for you Arthur. Now come on mate own up ---where have you got V5.36 hidden away, have serched the universe, including Yahoo & cant find it.. Don't seem to have any problems with V5.40 but then I dont mess with maps as yet..Les

Les Addison
21st March 2006, 12:47 PM
Note to Arthur . Seems I searched the universe ,but found it in Cyberspace. What does is it mean to be( Non Official for testing) Have downloaded it for future reference .. Les

bluezooky
21st March 2006, 01:50 PM
Quite a few demo copies went out and you’ll probably find having the original CD sleeve is more important than a receipt.
I personally just brought the SD card, without upgrading, there won’t be a CD so you might want to keep your original version.
Charlie

arthurking83
21st March 2006, 07:07 PM
......... Don't seem to have any problems with V5.40 but then I dont mess with maps as yet..Les

OK! So you found 5.36? :D

using fw 5.40...
The problem I am having....still!!.....is that if I do a search of any of the larger databases within DAST topo, using the GPS of course! :o , I usually only get a GPSr crash (it just reboots!).

You can't search a database of any POI's that aren't on the currently loaded detail map, unless that is another of my problems too!!??

Problem completely solved with 5.36, and GPS speed seems as good (I found 5.12 slower?) and I hear 5.35 is very much inaccurate/slower again???

I don't exactly understand why it's 'non offical' other than it's like a pre5.40...I also see there is a 5.38 too!! (maybe for the Gold)

Also my previous comments on throwing out my receipt (only proof of purchase I can think of, other than a CrCard reciept??) were purely hypothetical. (On behalf of my friend that did get DASTv1 and may want to update!!)

I only have MY purchased SD card of topo, and my mates CD of v1.
He has never used it, as he's 'puter illiterate, but a great mechanic! So I loaded it all up for him, using my 'puter.
It's kinda like he bought me a really nice pressie, and I did him a favor :D

But the question stil stands...if you have a legit copy, and send in the CD, surely thats proof enough!
(even taking into account that you could buy a secondhand copy from some evil, morally bankrupt, online retailing service, and claim you have a copy! ;)

Anyone that owns a legit CD, and they must have a databse of the CD's in circulation?? has a right to the upgrade path?

It just seems to me that they(Magellan/NextDestination) rushed another product to market, and are still hell bent on screwing the 'loyal paying customer'....it's getting tiring to watch....and they lost an explorist XL sale (to me) because of their dissapointing attitude to customer service!

...Yep, the PDA is great! ;)