PDA

View Full Version : Australian equivalent of Autoroute / Streets & Trips

stijn luyck
19th July 2009, 01:28 AM
:wave

Iím from Belgium and should be visiting Australia the end of August. Once over there I hopefully can use my GPS (TomTom) but at the moment it would be nice to have an equivalent of Microsoft Autoroute or Street & Trips for my planning.

Is there any software you recommend with similar options to those?

:wave

The Explorer
19th July 2009, 08:45 AM
Hello
Not sure what Microsoft Autoroute or Street & Trips did (or do) but what about Google Maps/Google Earth? You can type in start and finish points and get directions, distance and time. Is that what you were chasing? Its is also possibleto save the information as waypoints/tracks/routes for use with some GPS units - not sure about Tom Tom.

Cheers
Greg

DragonflyKing
19th July 2009, 02:22 PM
WhereIs is a good option for autorouting in Australia. It is generated by Sensis, owned by Telstra - which used to be government owned, so should have the most up to date maps. Garmin MapSource data is attributed to WhereIs also.

http://www.whereis.com/

stijn luyck
19th July 2009, 06:01 PM
Hi ... thank you for the info but sadly enough I'm looking for something that runs standalone on a laptop without being connected to the internet.

From your experience how accurate are the driving times in GoogleMaps for Australia ... are they a big a mess as here in Europe?

aussiedav
29th July 2009, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately MS never made a Australian version of S&T

Can't you just get the Aussie maps for your Tom Tom ? Most of us would use Mapsource that comes with Garmins for what you are talking about.

Madgic
9th April 2011, 12:38 PM
No such thing for Australia, unfortunately. It's not even sold in Australia although we are no 1 in tourist numbers for the west coast of the USA.

I have recently been in touch with Anne Quaranta who is the senior product manager for Microsoft for S&T; she has promised to ensure that S&T is available to Australians over the counter soon. Maybe this will eventually lead to an Australian version but in the meantime you are stuck with 20th century planners like WhereIs. Sorry!
:hysterica

Nicko
9th April 2011, 01:10 PM
You could consider TwoNav but if you just want on-road then maybe Co-Pilot Live

Madgic
9th April 2011, 10:08 PM
We don't holiday in Australia any more, so will use Streets and Trips for the USA and Canada, and Autoroute for Europe.