PDA

View Full Version : Trip - Planning - Ok I have bought the GPS, What now?

davescott241
21st March 2006, 04:59 AM
OK guys - thanks for all the replies and help in the beginners section!!! Much appreciated. I have bought a Magellan 600 Travel/Topo Pack.

So I have the maps on a SD card and on my GPS. But now I need to start planning my trip to Brisbane (ona bicycle) next week.

Am I right in thinking that I cannot do that on MapSend because I have no maps - the DiscAust and Topo maps are only on the SD card and I need to wait for the CD to come out.

Should I be using OziExplorer now to plan the trip and then download tracks, waypoints etc...

But where do I get the maps to use in OziEplorer? Do I need to buy 3rd party sets? Are the map downloads from this site sufficient? How do I get to these download?

Cheers

PD

mitchofsutho
21st March 2006, 07:51 AM
Am I right in thinking that I cannot do that on MapSend because I have no maps - the DiscAust and Topo maps are only on the SD card and I need to wait for the CD to come out.

If you have DAST Topo (SD) installed in your GPSr, then you can manually plot your waypoints directly into the GPSr. Not ideal and very labourious.

Don't hold you breath for the DAST Topo CD to arrive. The latest info I have heard is that it is now not going to happen and the Next Generation are planning to have a downloadable program available on their site that will interface with the SD card so that users can plan trips etc on a PC. Don't expect this to be available until at least mid year, but based on the delays surrounding DAST Topo SD and CD, do not expect the downloadable application to be available uptil later in the year.

Should I be using OziExplorer now to plan the trip and then download tracks, waypoints etc...

Using OziExplorer is your best option to load tracks, waypoints etc and then download to the GPSr. For a big trip like yours. You have two options, (1) save the tracks/waypoints directly to the GPSr or (2) onto the SD Card. DAST Topo comes on a 512MB SD card, so there should be plenty of space available on the SD card. If you require more space, use a card reader and copy the contents of DAST Topo (SD) onto a 1GB SD card and you will have heaps of available space for all the tracks/waypoints you need.

But where do I get the maps to use in OziEplorer? Do I need to buy 3rd party sets? Are the map downloads from this site sufficient? How do I get to these download?

After 10 posts on this site, you can freely download NSW 1:100K and 1:25K and VIC 1:15K topo maps from this site.

If you search the individual state forums, you will also find individual general touring state maps as well as links to a number of other maps such as the NRMA touring maps. If you want, and your email provider allows you can PM me and I can email direct to you a number of those maps. They range from 1.5mb to 20+mb in size.

arthurking83
21st March 2006, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately you can't transfer the contents of the topo SD card onto another card!
Well....you can, but it won't work on the GPSr!!

Also the Map downloads area has been receiving some 'maintenance'(don't know the current status(8:00PM).... if you PM someone in your area that has the a copy of the NSW Maps....they could send it to 'ya quickly....

Tell us what AREA (not address!!) you live in, someone should put up their hand to send you a copy...

Trip planning is much easier using Ozi, instead of DAST!

cheers.

mitchofsutho
21st March 2006, 11:40 PM
Unfortunately you can't transfer the contents of the topo SD card onto another card!

G'day Arthur,

Thanks for the update re not being able to copy the SD card. I'm yet to purchase/upgrade to DAST topo. I should have guessed that Next Gen would have stopped the SD card from being copied.

That being said, after plotting waypoints etc using OziE, can you still download the data to be saved on the same SD card as DAST topo?

Still Ozi is definately easier than using a GPS alone to plan a trip. And use a card reader to download to an SD.

Les Addison
22nd March 2006, 12:12 PM
It seems a shame the function on Meridians, that the new 600& XL haven't got . Is to create routes by the Path check method ,which takes half the time, as the wpt method, & can be saved in the Routes list..Les :o

davescott241
22nd March 2006, 12:15 PM

Also the Map downloads area has been receiving some 'maintenance'(don't know the current status(8:00PM).... if you PM someone in your area that has the a copy of the NSW Maps....they could send it to 'ya quickly....

Tell us what AREA (not address!!) you live in, someone should put up their hand to send you a copy...

Trip planning is much easier using Ozi, instead of DAST!

cheers.

Thanks Arthur. I live in Canberra.

Mitch has already emailed me some of the maps, but I would love a copy of the DVD. I unfortunately am riding off to Brisbane on Monday so if someone in Canberra or nearby could burn me the DVD I could come to pick it up.

If not possible and the map database doesn't come back up, I will probably need to buy a few maps. I am planning on going via a few National Parks and may need to buy maps for them.

It is possible to buy 1:25,000 maps on-line isn't it that I can use in Ozi?

Cheers

Paul/Dave

arthurking83
22nd March 2006, 04:54 PM
My Father-in-Law lives in Canberra, and we frequently come up from Melb......but ......

We drove past(but it was closed) the Geoscience building on our last visit(he know I'm a map nut!!)....try have a look around in there, surely they may have some other digital map products...etc.....
(stupid me...I didn't waypoint it! :o )

I will try to make that a Point of Interest, on my next trip up!!

cheers.