PDA

View Full Version : HELP! GPS Gate & Mio Map-Ozi Explorer

Dashman
21st March 2006, 12:45 PM
I have a Mio 169 (pocket PC) with Mio Map software and Ozi Explorer CE. On my device the GPS is on COM2. Individually, they can access the internal GPS and provide a navigation solution, but not together.

I tried GPS Gate for sharing and set up COM2 as the input port, and put Ozi on a virtual COM port and it works fine.

The problem I have is that I have no configuration data for MioMap, so can't change its port from COM2 to a suitable virtual port. So I'm back to square 1. Whichever program accesses the GPS first "hogs" it and won't share with the other.

Anyone have any in depth knowledge of Mio Map or GPS Gate that can help?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an alternative GPS sharing program for PPC that might work?

Thanx.

arthurking83
21st March 2006, 07:36 PM
I suppose to 'confuse' Mio Map( I have no idea what that is, although I can guess :p )...... can you set the real comport on the Mio PPC PDA thingy, away from Com2 and onto Com1 or 3, and set Com2 as a virtual port?

I haven't delved too deeply into ComPort messing on my Toshiba E800, but I did see that my USB-Serial adapter chose Com4 na the Bt port is set to Com9...etc.....

I have no idea on how to 're-arrange' any of these details.......but I'd like to find out!

Also, is the GPS connection bt, serial, usb, (other?)......etc?

I can't directly help, maybe someone will soon?

Dashman
22nd March 2006, 01:46 AM
Thanks Arthur,

The Mio is like a Navman PIN with builtin GPS. I've searched everywhere for the COMM port settings on the device, to no avail :mad:

What you wrote makes sense (changing the COMM port assignment for the GPS), but I can't find any GPS/COMM port settings tab on the device.... :confused:

old_man_silvia
22nd March 2006, 07:37 PM
I also have spent a lot of time trying to get my Navman PIN to send a signal to the COM port on my laptop - with no success. Even using GPSgate does not work. Speaking with others more knowledgable in the industry, they all say it is impossible as the Navman (aka mio 168) as the signal is not available on the port supplied.

covert
30th March 2006, 09:36 PM
I assume the MIO is just a ppc with a built in GPS. If that is the case have a shot with a registry editor.

Dashman
31st March 2006, 03:41 AM
Thanks Covert. Yes, the 169 is a PPC. I downloaded a registry editor program, but in the short time I've been browsing the registry couldn't find anything resembling the GPS.

Any tips on where that might be, or what the entry is called would be appreciated.

Thanx.