PDA

View Full Version : Tom Tom Go 930 / route planner won't find Australian addresses?

KeithMNichols
6th August 2009, 08:37 PM
Hi,

I'm new to all this so it is probably an easy thing to sort. I got the 930 yesterday and it is supposed to be loaded with the latest Australian map. I have used it and it seems to know Perth but when I try to route plan it won't find Australian addresses such as Perth International Airport or St Georges Terrace. Some australian addresses appear but the majority seem to be in the UK.

It found my suburban home in Perth. What's going on?

Michael
6th August 2009, 08:49 PM
1. I suggest you change your user name or you may find you get a lot of spam.

2. Where did you buy it? If you got it yesterday, your first step should be to go back to that shop & ask them to demo it & answer your questions.

KeithMNichols
7th August 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Micheal,

I can't seem to change my user name. maybe I need a moderator to do that but thanks for the tip.

I bought the GPS, fully refurbished with 12 months TomTom warranty, from an ebay shop with a good rep. Significantly cheaper, but I can't easily take it back to the shop.

I have managed to browse the map to find the addresses I want but I still don't get why I can't find them via text entry. It ain't much use If I don't know where the destination is!

Regards,

Keith

Wahroonga Farm
7th August 2009, 07:57 AM
Does it perhaps include World maps (ie not just Australia maps)?

Some models do.

This might explain the proliferation of UK destinations?

Perhaps all maps except Australia could be disabled in the menu system somewhere??

Not being a TT owner I really don't have a clue if this is feasible or not.

Nicko
7th August 2009, 11:17 AM
Garmin have worldmaps but low detail, on their machines. I often get the question "Are they Australian Units"? Apart from the fact that the shop does show we are an authorised Garmin dealer, it still causes people to think we might be a grey importer :grnmonstr

Anyway, in theory, when the GPS has located itself then you will see Australia.

You do know using a GPS indoors may cause it to lose lock on satellites and thus not know where you are etc?

KeithMNichols
8th August 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks Guys,

I think my only option is to delete maps - you don't seem to be able to disable them.

The online planner is giving me the same issues, I don't know if it is picking up some setting from my unit or it's just an unfinished bit of software (it is tagged as 'beta').

I have got the hang of browsing the map to find places, so I can use the blessed thing now. It doesn't help when I don't know the location of an address. :hot: Anyway, I'll post whatever feedback Tom Tom give to my question on their website.

Regards,

Keith.