PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood GPS KNA-G431Au

Rstevo
27th August 2009, 11:41 AM
now Kenwood is in bed with Garmin does anyone know it they will be able to use the new lifetime maps that Garmin has just released Ron

Nicko
5th October 2009, 02:48 PM
In your case the Kenwood is a re-badged Garmin and thus the onetime or lifetime will work with it as long as you use a genuine Garmin cable ($15)

Read This for background info (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12962)

seafarer28
5th July 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi everyone from a first time poster on this forum.

I too have the Kenwood KNAG431AU which I believe is a rebadged garmin nav unit which currently has 2008 maps installed on SD card.
This map version is way out of date now and appear to be more outdated than the 2008 suggests so I need to update.

I am getting pretty frustrated and somewhat confused wether this unit will only accept Kenwood badged (garmin) maps @ $303.60 each, which I believe is a complete rip-off or wether, say the Garmin CityNav Aus NZ NT 2010 MicroSD @ $189 will work or is there a more cost effective way to buy current mapping.
Niko, you say;
..... "In your case the Kenwood is a re-badged Garmin and thus the onetime or lifetime will work with it as long as you use a genuine Garmin cable ($15)"....

can you please elaborate on the Garmin cable you mention, do I read in what you said that you can you buy a lifetime upgrade subscription that you need the cable for or is it something else?

Looking for feedbacks on how you would go in solving this issue.

Many thanks for your help!

Tony

Nicko
5th July 2010, 01:59 PM
How else are you going to transfer the maps to your unit?

seafarer28
5th July 2010, 02:11 PM
How else are you going to transfer the maps to your unit?

Straight onto an SD card and put it into the unit or am I missing something here?

Tony

Nicko
5th July 2010, 03:52 PM
The lifetime requires connectivity to your GPS.

seafarer28
5th July 2010, 04:41 PM
I think there is some misunderstanding here....the KNA-G431AU is a fixed in-car gps unit and uses the vehicles MFD screen to display data.
It uses Kenwood badged Garmin map data contained on an SD card within the unit, SD card map updates need to be purchased (presumably an unlocking code is supplied with the card).

Ok, so from the sounds of things the cable won't work. I go back to the original post........
"I am getting pretty frustrated and somewhat confused wether this unit will only accept (garmin) maps @ $303.60 each, which I believe is a complete rip-off or wether, say the Garmin CityNav Aus NZ NT 2010 MicroSD @ $189 will work or is there a more cost effective way to buy current mapping."
So I still need to know if the CityNav on MicroSd will work in this unit or is there another better way to update maps on my unit.
Many thanks, Tony

Nicko
5th July 2010, 07:38 PM
I know for a fact that Garmin Topo Australia does work on your machine