PDA

View Full Version : Ozi Map Grabber

Jackaroo
2nd April 2006, 09:21 PM
After many nights playing around with images and spreadsheets, I finally decided to write a program to take all the Hard work out out getting Street Maps to use in Ozi Explorer :D

Ozi Map Grabber is a stand alone program that will grab multiple street map images and calibrate them

I have only tested on WinXP as that is all I have here. If anyone has any issues with other OS's let me know and I will see what I can do

Ozi Map Grabber (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/david/OziMapGrabber.msi) :cool:

Craigus
2nd April 2006, 09:53 PM
Sticky.. :D

captain.kruno
3rd April 2006, 12:11 PM
Had a play with the app, much simpler than the spreedsheet.
One feature I would like to see is the ability to load OziE names database and search for place names to add Lat/Long to the app.

Thanks for the effort put into this app.

Jackaroo
3rd April 2006, 01:30 PM
If someone can send me a txt file, or point me in the direction of one, listing Place Name, Latitude and Longitude, I will look at incorperating it into Ozi Map Grabber
:D

ccb
3rd April 2006, 09:51 PM
Hey that is a very nice bit of software - well done, and thanks.

What is the technology you have used?

Michael
3rd April 2006, 09:57 PM
Thank you
I just gave it a try for a few maps around me in Bentleigh, SE Melb & it is great.

arthurking83
3rd April 2006, 10:04 PM
Hey... I told you you'd like it! :D

Just be wary....don't overdo the AutoGrabber!!

Jackaroo tells me, (and I've seen it with the spreadsheet) that if you request a map that doesn't exist (like over water) the program may freeze!!????

I've grabbed 3 maps in any direction with ease, and what this does is grabs 3 rows and 3 columns of maps in a direction specified in the AutoGrabber setup.

It took my Xp3200 with 1 gig RAM, and Optus Cable about 3 mins(maybe less??) to get the 9 maps in that group!

within 10 mins I had a 400klm radius around Melb of Level_4 maps (about 30 maps!)

Then it took all day (I know...I forgot :o ) to mapmerge them.

:D

Jackaroo
3rd April 2006, 10:08 PM
Hey that is a very nice bit of software - well done, and thanks.

What is the technology you have used?

Ozi Map Grabber is written in Visual Basic 6

Just working on a name search function - version 2 should not be far away :D

Jackaroo
3rd April 2006, 10:39 PM
OK - Ozi Map Grabber version2 is now available for download

Version 2 includes a Name Search to quickly find all those location

Ozi Map Grabber (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/david/OziMapGrabber.msi) :cool:

helterskelter400
3rd April 2006, 10:56 PM
excellent.

v2 already. new and improved.

top work

arthurking83
3rd April 2006, 11:54 PM
Hey!

v2 even has a professional installer! :D

Gone are the days of "copy...paste" ;)

very good....it even warned me that file abcd was in use, and why! (weatherstats.exe)...cool.

NameSearch is brilliant!

:)

crackajack
4th April 2006, 01:06 AM
Thank you Jackaroo 4wd, TOP JOB!

captain.kruno
4th April 2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the quick update. Excellent work.

Jackaroo
4th April 2006, 09:13 PM
Had a quick test tonight and auto grabbed 40 x 80 images for a total of 3200 :eek: images without a problem. The ones over the water, just returned water, so I cant see any issues with getting to many images returned.

Once you go further than the limit of the blue, you will get a yellow image returned - but no error that I could initiate :D

Hope everyone is enjoying

Jackaroo

ccb
4th April 2006, 09:59 PM
I am getting good performance with this software - on an XP machine with 1gb memory and Telstra cable, getting 10X5 maps takes around 20 seconds.

arthurking83
4th April 2006, 10:22 PM
....Hope everyone is enjoying.....

Are you kidding???

(this is a close to free beer as it gets!)
I think the net is about to come to a grinding halt...... from all map "queries"! :p

I've had errors trying to get maps of the (Melb) bay (from the streetdirectory.com site, when using the spreadsheet, and FF)

So far I've had no errors either, only yellow images of the ocean as well!

......looks like another 2:00am finish tonight! :D

Jackaroo
5th April 2006, 07:31 AM
Just a quick update

If you set the size of the image required larger the 1200 x 1200, the webserver will only return an image 1200 x 1200 but the calibration will calibrate the map based on the entered image size. This map file will then be wrong for the image returned :(

Jackaroo

ErrolS
6th April 2006, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackaroo_4WD
....Hope everyone is enjoying.....
After trying a lot of scanned maps and doing my own calibration (read - lots of fiddling around), this application is like winning the Lotto.
Heartfelt thanks for an application that does exactly what I need - and it's FREE!

festy
6th April 2006, 02:42 PM
Any chance of v3 having proxy support?

Jackaroo
6th April 2006, 04:25 PM
Any chance of v3 having proxy support?

Will have a look and see what i can work out

Jackaroo :D

fni493
11th April 2006, 08:48 AM
Hi Guys sorry for the silly question, I have just caught up on this thread and would like to put some maps together with this program. Is there a link or am I missing something, the only place which looked like it had a link with the name Ozi Mapgrabber took me to a photo of a Jackaroo.

festy
11th April 2006, 08:55 AM
There's a link on that page to download - might have to scroll to the right from memory though

dogbreath_48
11th April 2006, 02:32 PM
There's a link on that page to download - might have to scroll to the right from memory though

I can't find it either!?

Can someone chuck up a direct link?

mitchofsutho
11th April 2006, 02:38 PM
Festy,

It looks like it's been taken off the page as it is not where it used to be.

I know that Arthur had asked Jackaroo to make some changes so it produced data that was compatable with OziCE. As such, Jackaroo may have removed Map Grapper V2 from his site for changes to be made and V3 might be on the horizon! :)

Jackaroo
11th April 2006, 07:07 PM
Sorry guys

Had some issues with the web page

Try this link (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/david/OziMapGrabber.msi)

tx4000
11th April 2006, 07:37 PM
Outstanding, have just played with proggy, this is a gem, well done :)

dogbreath_48
11th April 2006, 08:00 PM
Wow this is great!

Only think i can suggest (and i am being very picky/lazy) is the state as part of the Name Search.

Is there any way (go easy, i'm a newby) to download all the maps/a map of the whole of victoria? By any chance?

-Stu :)

arthurking83
11th April 2006, 08:11 PM
Hey Jackaroo can't make it too easy!! :D

You have to put some effort into it son! :p

Use 'Auto Grab'... go to a corner of the state you need ...eg. find the co-ords for Mildura or Nelson...(can't tell you that!! that's making it wayyy to easy for 'ya :p )

Set AutoGrabber to head East by 15 and North or South by 10.

Within 5 minutes (depending on connection speed) you should have about 150 or so images of maps!

ps. I don't think you can get Level6 images of the middle of no-where!!
It just makes 'zoomed in' images of the Level4 maps ....with the 'jaggies' (bad quality jagged looking lines).

NoelB
15th April 2006, 06:16 PM
many many thanks to 'Jackaroo' for Ozi map Grabber. I think this is one of the best programs I have seen for some time - cheap (free) - does what it claims - cheap - effective - and , did I say cheap?
In all serousness, an excellent program and a great help to someone like myself who is just starting to work through the complexities of mapping software etc.
Cheers
Noel

macandrita
16th April 2006, 08:21 PM
Hi

Mate this is a class bit of software. I have downloaded maps with it for the last two weeks and have successfully navigated lots of places from Cooktown to Townsville with ease using only the downloaded maps. I haven't been able to access this site for the last week to ask advice on downloads etc but I still managed to use this software without any help. Name search is great even mentions a little exchange that was just up the road from where I used to live.
This site just keeps getting better.
Thanks
Mac

mitchofsutho
18th April 2006, 07:31 AM
G'day Jackaroo,
Great program and simple to use, just how I like them.

Just a question, is it possible to import additional Place Name databases. I use a couple of different Place Name databases, which have additional locality orientated locations and coordinates, which the GA database does not have. You can find some of the Place Name databases I refer to at this thread. Place Names Databases. (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=230)

I also have use other Place Name databases for other countries, which I suspect would not work with Map Grabber.

If possible, can Map Grabber have the added facility for a user to import Place Name databases into either; the one large data base; or have the facility to do what OziExplorer does and allow for different Place Name databases to be selected, loaded and searched?

I know it is a big ask for a free and already great program, but I though it may assist others as well as yourself. :o

Regards and thanks again for great work.

Jackaroo
18th April 2006, 02:16 PM
mitchofsutho

Will look at the names database format tonight and post when I get home. It only has the place name, lat and long but im not sure which order they are in

If you look/open the names.txt file in the OMG program file directory, it will show the format. Any other text file named " names.txt ", in this format, in this directory, will load up into the name search facility in place of the one supplied

mitchofsutho
18th April 2006, 03:14 PM
mitchofsutho

Will look at the names database format tonight and post when I get home. It only has the place name, lat and long but im not sure which order they are in

If you look/open the names.txt file in the OMG program file directory, it will show the format. Any other text file named " names.txt ", in this format, in this directory, will load up into the name search facility in place of the one supplied

Thanks Jackaroo,

I have looked at the Name Place databases I have and as they were not .txt file formate, I have modified them and removed unwanted data and saved the files as comma delimited text files, similar to your name.txt file.

The only concern I have, which you may be able to solve, is the issue of duplicated place names if the files are merged.

I have PM'd the files to you. I suspect that you may not consider using many of the files, such as Place Name files for individual State streets or facilities or the WA shipwrecks file, but do with them as you see fit.

If you actually requires the original Place Name files, for direct use in OziE, PM me and I will send them to you.

Regards

Jackaroo
18th April 2006, 05:56 PM
Will have a look at the files, may be able to make up some state files that can be loaded

I had an issue with the number of entries I could load into the list - programming issue - maybe state by state would be better

Jackaroo
18th April 2006, 06:30 PM
He mitchofsutho

Some of the files look as if they have been truncated - same issue I had

NSW Street names finishes at "P". Looks like 65535 lines and then - no more :(

Should be able to have a drop down in OMG to select what names search file to use

Will think about it

mitchofsutho
19th April 2006, 07:18 AM
He mitchofsutho

Some of the files look as if they have been truncated - same issue I had

NSW Street names finishes at "P". Looks like 65535 lines and then - no more :(

Should be able to have a drop down in OMG to select what names search file to use

Will think about it

Do you want me to send the original files, which can be opened in MSExcel? That way you can convert them anyway you wish.

Jackaroo
19th April 2006, 09:57 AM
The issue is with excel only allowing 65535 lines, so anything after that gets truncated losing some of the data

If you have the originals, email them and I will modify the originals to be loaded into OMG

mitchofsutho
19th April 2006, 11:21 AM
Will do.

hangover
19th April 2006, 09:53 PM
Ok, i downloaded the program and searched for a couple of places, now how do i get them to work in ozi and ozi ce for my pda ? if i wanted all of vic, what do i search for ?

thanks,
Nick.

Jackaroo
19th April 2006, 10:40 PM
Hi Hangover

See Arthurking83 - post 28 above

You will need to set an output directory, and a filename, use Autograb to grab the images.

If you want to use them in OziCE, Deselect the checkbox to use the full path in the map file

arthurking83
19th April 2006, 10:46 PM
Your a hard man hangover...as all rangie owners should be! ;)

All of Vic? :eek:

I started at 34/141 and did a Auto Grab of 25east and 12south(plus one more single pic of Wilsons Prom) at zoom level 4.

This will give you lots of water and lots of NSW. (delete or keep as you see fit!)

This will download a combination of Vicroads, and NatMap images(which are better downloaded from Geoscience)

If you try zoom level 5 or 6 you will almost certainly only end up with 50,000 overzoomed images of the same maps! (except Melbourne metro...Melways)

hope this helps

Jackaroo
19th April 2006, 10:52 PM
Greetings All

Version 3 Ozi Map Grabber now available for download :D

Ozi Map Grabber (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/david/OziMapGrabber.msi)

This version includes individual Name Search files for each state as well as the original name search file from version 2. The name search files only contain localities at the moment but I will work on the other name search files mitchofsutho sent me and include them later

wombatwal
20th April 2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks a lot Jackaroo 4WD, the programme is fantastic. I have not got a great need for it at the moment, don't use ozie for navigating.

stèvé
4th May 2006, 03:08 PM
OK - Ozi Map Grabber version2 is now available for download

Version 2 includes a Name Search to quickly find all those location

:cool:

Am I doing something wrong? I can't seem to d/l the file.
Perhaps it has been moved? All I see is the image of the Jackaroo parked on that lovely green, flat grass. I wouldn't be parking a car on that grass if it were my home:)

festy
4th May 2006, 03:24 PM
The correct link is back on page 3 - here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=7822&postcount=25)

jackaroo - do you want to go back and change the links in your earlier posts to reflect the new URL? You seem to have successfully confused just about everyone in this thread by moving it :D Then again, your jack might be enjoying all the extra attention it's getting ;)

Jackaroo
4th May 2006, 07:04 PM
jackaroo - do you want to go back and change the links in your earlier posts to reflect the new URL? You seem to have successfully confused just about everyone in this thread by moving it :D Then again, your jack might be enjoying all the extra attention it's getting ;)

hmmm - didnt know that I could change the link - Will update now :D
Thanks festy

Jackaroo
4th May 2006, 07:11 PM
Ok - found that tiny little edit button down in the corner ;)

All links point to the correct place now - sorry for any confusion

kingkong
6th May 2006, 07:38 PM
Hi,

just wondering if anyone has a scaled, stiched map of adelaide (pref zoom scale 5 or 6) that they would to share with me?

Might save me a fair bit of time :D

Great program!!

Cheers
Brad

gmorph
16th May 2006, 09:43 AM
I used ozimapgrabber to grab 150-88Long, 29-06Lat at zoom 4. Preview looks fine and I download the map and open it in ozi. The Map itself is fine but the Map View window is showing me Ningaloo Reef :eek: . This is a long way from Boggabilla. Also appears to happen with 150-5Long, 28-68Lat but other maps in the area are fine. Any ideas?

ozimapgrabber is brilliant - great work Jackaroo. If only we could get a source of topo's to do this with . . .

Jackaroo
16th May 2006, 11:42 AM
G'Day Gmorph

Just had a try at the co-ordinates you posted and all seemed OK with my version of OMG - Ningaloo reef is the co-ordinates that default when you first open OMG, try changing them again and see what happens.

FYI - Level 4 maps are the same as the Natrap Raster set that can be downloaded for free from the GA website ( www.ga.gov.au ) i think.

Pezzie
17th May 2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the software. It is working a treat.

Where do the maps come from? We have the same images in our corporate data set at work. They are recorded as AUSLIG.

WA is in three strips, one for each UTM zone. The files are pretty big though. Zone 50 is 170MB.

thwack
26th May 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi All,

i have written a small program to remove the arrow from the top left hand corner of all the downloaded maps. It downloads the missing information from the server and replaces the area that the arrow covers.

There is little or no error checking but it does work on most files. I have run it over more than 5000 images and all worked.

It is configured through a .cfg file for different zoom levels and gets the coordinates from the corresponding .map file.

I have attached it here, suggestions welcome.

Thwack

Silvo
10th June 2006, 12:35 PM
this is awesome software.. makes grabbing easy.. i've always liked grabbing.. :D

how are you guys going about joining the maps together?

i've had a look at mapmerge, maybe its just me, but the output quality doesn't seem very good at all..

dan

Jackaroo
10th June 2006, 01:00 PM
Hi Dan

Have a look at this (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1323&highlight=merge) thread

Silvo
10th June 2006, 01:09 PM
Hi Dan

Have a look at this (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1323&highlight=merge) thread

Thanks Jackaroo - looks better now..

Dan

Don U. Schulz
13th June 2006, 01:25 PM
I will download it from the link indicated and try it out.
It sounds like a Progr. I couls use.

Don

Yowie
29th June 2006, 11:21 PM
This stuff is great :)

You guys are doing some great work. The only problem I've found is that I need some sleep !! :sleeping-

Cruisin
6th July 2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks Jackaroo_4WD, I've been fiddling about with this software for a few months on and off before registering on the site - actually its what got me keen on signing up and sussing out all things GPS and electronic topo related.

Tardis
17th July 2006, 02:17 PM
First of all - let me add my thanks to Jackaroo for producing this amazing effort. Takes a lot of the hard work out of pulling down those map files.

Now I know this isn't anything to do with OziMapGrabber but could have quite a lot to do with street-directory.com & the whims of some government departments. Pick any decent sized town in Tas (yeah they do exist) in your web browser (http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/mapsearch.cgi). Zoom all the way in to level 7. See streets & buildings in all their glory - heck, even bldg numbers. Now try to grab that same location from OziMapGrabber at level 7. Can't be done, you just get a blank screen with the ubiquitous green arrow. Same at level 6... or 5... or heck even 3. The only zoom level acceptable is 4 (ie Natmap - or rather the old Auslig ver 1 I think).

Why is this so? Has Paul Lennon's minions put the wind up street-directory? If so, then it's only when some request comes from a non-web based source (or perhaps when a 1200x1200 request comes in?) as everything's hunky dory in interactive mode. Why, with Tas plugging itself as a tourist drawcard, can you not get hands on any maps in electronic format other than Natmap unless you're prepared to cough up (last time I bothered to check) $900 plus!!
<rant mode off>

As a possible alternative, is it feasible to modify OziMapGrabber to go to Google Maps? I realise this wouldn't have been an option for Aust a few months ago, but now (wherever I've looked - & that includes Tassie) we now have maps down to street & building level. What's more, it's all in a standardised - albeit not all that colourful - display at whatever zoom level & wherever. No more getting contours & !@#$ shading when all you want are street maps. And it would be usable for our overseas brethren to boot.

As far as I can see Google Maps works in a similar way to street-directory, but then again I'm no web guru. How about it Jackaroo?

festy
17th July 2006, 02:59 PM
It might have something to do with the tasmanian data. I know on their previous version of the site, their backend had effectively two versions of the code to extract the image from the database - one for all of australia, and one for tasmania.

arthurking83
17th July 2006, 05:00 PM
The only zoom levels OMG was made to work with were 4, 5 and 6....
I think I may have been partly responsible for the extra work Jackaroo had to code to get level 4 working :o

I'll let Jackaroo explain if it can be modded...I suppose when we first began using it L6 was sufficient :confused-

The google maps could be a handy idea.... but trying to do a seach on GMaps...I've had some issues...here and there!
...not too sure if I'm confident in it's abilities yet ???

Ralf the RR
17th July 2006, 06:24 PM
To get Tas data out of street directory, you need to enter UTM coordinates.

Street level maps are at level 7 (best) to be able to read the street names, but 6 is acceptable for the less dense population areas.

Here's Launceston:
http://www.street-directory.com.au/sd_new/tas_genmap.cgi?x=512000&y=5412000&sizex=1200&sizey=1200&level=7

Try entering the same thing at level 6 to see the difference.

Tardis
17th July 2006, 08:39 PM
Harry - yes I can see that, & everything works fine in interactive mode. But you can't plug UTM coords into OMG, so it means manually figuring out each map square with some lat/log to UTM converter (like point to spot in Ozi while set to that mode) then punching them all into browser, then figuring out the next block to get E & S, then puzzling over creation of map files to make them all usable. Yecchh! OK, maybe the wonders of OMG have made me greedy. Plus of course, why should Tassie be any different to the big isle - & then only for zoom levels other than 4? That's just plain weird.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a Taswegian raised (if not actually born there). L'ton was my childhood stamping ground & I spent many years in Hobart before moving "overseas". That's why I'm searching for decent Tas map coverage - not cos I need them as I could find my way around blindfold, but cos I now feel so ***** without my GPS! Get a life I hear you say. <sob!>

Ralf the RR
18th July 2006, 04:53 PM
I'm hearing ya.

I modified Jackaroo's original spreadsheet a long time ago, which led to some of the features in the OMG.

I also had a fiddle with getting Tas data for the spreadsheet.
What an absolute pain!
Converting UTM to lat long is not hard, there are spreadsheets that will do this.
I tried integrating all the info into 1 spreadsheet to generate the maps including the N/S/E/W buttons.
This seems to work OK for level 7 maps, but not very useful.
You need way too many maps to be useful.

Level 4 or 5 looks good for touring maps.

When I work out how to get generate good maps with a small overlap with the correct scales, I'll upload the spreadsheet.
It generates the same output as OMG - but it has to be done manually - 1 map at a time.

Jackaroo
18th July 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi Guys

When I get the PC back together ( In the throws of rebuilding onto new HDD ) I will have a look at a tassie version using UTM co-ordinates

Stay tuned

Tardis
18th July 2006, 07:53 PM
You little ripper Jackaroo! I'll never utter a harsh word against GMH inspired 4WD's again. :party-smi

Was that suggestion about GMaps (as a long term project of course) totally off the planet or am I at least on the right wavelength? Seems like there's a lot of talk about Google mashups & the API being available & all that...

tnreynolds
9th August 2006, 10:30 PM
Jackaroo, hats off to you mate :music-smi - together with Ozi Map Grabber and Mapmerge i have managed to throw together some great maps of Perth to use with OziexplorerCE.

Apreciate all the time and effort you have put into Map Grabber... Cheers n beers :food-smil

Troy

Mr Router
14th August 2006, 02:19 PM
This little bugger refused to load on my machine :confused- We got error messages but in frustration in the 5th minute of trying to load,we cancelled all actions :violent-s . Will try to load again & remember to copy the error screens which should explain the missing link, Do remember one operating system & one as a dll issue.

Jackaroo
14th August 2006, 02:23 PM
Ozi Map Grabber was written on a Windows XP Machine and has only been tested on such

I cannot guarantee the software will work on other OS's but will have a look at the errors and see if it a simple fix

Mr Router
14th August 2006, 03:43 PM
Still no reload but my os is xp.

strider01
17th October 2006, 07:20 PM
Hi guys,

After reading this thread (all 7 pages!!) it seems like this is a very cool piece of kit for us map mad collectors.

Well done to Jackeroo_4WD for the excellent work done - for free no less.

Can someone though explain to me what this software does for someone? I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question - and it probably is.

Cheers
Craig

arthurking83
17th October 2006, 08:07 PM

Can someone though explain to me what this software does for someone? I know this sounds like a pretty dumb question - and it probably is.

Cheers
Craig

No such thing as a dumb question!!

Thsi program does..

downloads map images of (anywhere you like in Aus) in 3 various scales. (the scale settings are 4, 5, and 6)
Scale 6 downloads an image that is more detailed("zoomed in").. but you more of them... millions more of them! ;)

Zoom level 5 is a good starting point if you wanted a good general map of a major city.

Then after it downloads the maps images, it then creates a calibration file for use in Oziexplorer!

So all you have to do is remember where(on the PC) OMG saved the maps you wanted, and load a .map file in Ozi from that location on the PC... (very easy.. too easy in fact!)

BUT!! you need a full working version of Ozi to view the map images(I think there is a version that opens any image type but stops working after Xhours (or sumthin??)

Free Ozi, only opens bmp(or similar) image formats!

:)

wardy
22nd October 2006, 02:56 PM
Hi Jackaroo. I'm new to all this too, but when i install everything seems to be fine but when I try to run it (from the desktop) i get a box asking if i want to repair it, or remove it. I've removed and reinstalled but its still the same. Do I need OziExplorer on here first? That may seem a dumb question but I'm stuck. I'm picking up my software tomorrow.

Jackaroo
22nd October 2006, 06:47 PM
From the Sounds of it, you are running the Setup program and not the OMG program. The setup will detect OMG installed and then ask if you want to repair or remove it.

HAve a look under START > ALL PROGRAMS. You should have a Ozi MAp Grabber folder and a shortcut to start the program.

If not, check the install location

"C:\Program Files\Ozi Map Grabber"

and look for the OziMapGrabber.exe file. Double clicking this should start the prgram

gunn parker
25th October 2006, 10:00 AM
Hi
I only found this program yesterday and I am trying to get it to download multiple maps at the same time,
Any help would be great thanks
Andrew

hhtdexter
26th October 2006, 12:14 PM
HI,Jackaroo. i saw the NZ map in the website. Can use it to download the NZ map? Thank you!

philland23
30th November 2006, 04:15 PM
Was trying to get some maps and was getting the message of

" run time error '5' "
Invalid proceedure or arguement

Finally got what I wanted...but don't know what I did different :confused-

So...Jackaroo...any ideas as to what I may have done...or what are the usual mistakes ppl make for this problem.

By the way....great programme...has helped me heaps....thanks for the effort you put into it 4 us all.

Jackaroo
30th November 2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Philland23

Not sure what would cause the error without a lot more info. What were you doing when you got the error, previewing, autograb, ect

Will have a look and see what I can find

hhtdextor

Have seen the NZ maps on there, they are on a different server, but have been looking at adding NZ to OMG. I have a totally new version of OMG in the pipeline to sort out some other issues as well - tassie maps - but have been absolutely flat out with no time to sit and write code

Hopefully, will have some time early in the new year

philland23
1st December 2006, 05:55 AM
I wouldn't worry too much Jackaroo...I probably stuffed up.
Had a play with it last night and did all that I wanted without a problem....well apart from some of the settings I chose :laughing-
( 9 maps - 1 mtr a pixel..... recon that would take 3-4 days..LMAO)

Great programme and works well.

Pocileh
21st February 2007, 02:15 AM
Tried to use Ozi Mapgrabber today.
Program seems to do what it's supposed to, but when opening a map-file a window appears saying:
"Fout # 3 bij het berekenen van kaartcalibratie"

That's the Dutch expression for a line like:
"Error # 3 when calculating mapcalibration"

Maybe because I'm using a Dutch version of Ozi ? :sick3 :sick3

Looking into the mapfiles I think it's related to the use of comma's instead of points as separators in my version.
I tried to alter this by hand, just to try to find where the problem is. No luck.
Am I overlooking something? Is it something else?

Ahummm, Jackaroo, ehh...any change for a european version if indeed the comma/point issue is the culprit?

Help greatly appreciated.

festy
21st February 2007, 06:58 AM
Do your other map files have commas instead of periods? I couldn't imagine they would - that would mean incompatible maps between languages. :crutches

Jackaroo
21st February 2007, 07:14 PM
If you could post a map, and map calibration file that I can look at, I will see if I can see the issue

JAckaroo :D

Pocileh
21st February 2007, 09:49 PM
First of all: great you want to look into this. Thanks.

Took some time to arrange things, but here they are.
Attached three files. A test800.gif with it's test800.map file in a zip file, as created by MapGrabber. To compare: a randomly chosen mapfile called 'compare', also in a zip.
(The map-files I had to put in a zipfile to make them uploadable)

I think it has to do with the way the program compiles the map file in my 'european' system.
This because the files I received from various persons around the globe work without a problem on my system and all seem to be in the same (Ozi-)format.

I've put extractions from the two *.map-files (which I included) below:

The 800test file:

Projection Setup,,,,,,,,,,
Map Feature = MF ; Map Comment = MC These follow if they exist
Track File = TF These follow if they exist
Moving Map Parameters = MM? These follow if they exist
MM0 , Yes
MMPNUM , 4
MMPXY , 1, 0, 0
MMPXY , 2, 8999, 0
MMPXY , 3, 8999, 4999
MMPXY , 4, 0, 4999
MMPLL , 1, 135,8731, -30,52148
MMPLL , 2, 136,127, -30,52148
MMPLL , 3, 136,127, -30,97857
MMPLL , 4, 135,8731, -30,97857
MM1B , 4,799602
MOP,Map Open Position,0,0
IWH,Map Image Width/Height, 9000, 5000

The 'compare' file:

MM0,Yes
MMPNUM,4
MMPXY,1,0,0
MMPXY,2,4617,0
MMPXY,3,4617,537
MMPXY,4,0,537
MMPLL,1, 122.187796, -27.789733
MMPLL,2, 135.570342, -27.767952
MMPLL,3, 135.574395, -29.166383
MMPLL,4, 122.191850, -29.188164
MM1B,284.998411
IWH,Map Image Width/Height,4617,537

If you compare the green sections you can see that in the first one (test800) comma's are used as separators, in the second one (compare) points/dots in the values.
Since I altered them by hand and I still had the same error, there must be another item that is causing problems, but I've not been able to locate it.

Well, hope you can... :wave

Edit: After saving the message to the board I realised the image is virtually empty. Probably because it's fairly small and created at a randomly choosen location.
I assume this doesn't matter.

Nicko
21st February 2007, 10:10 PM
MMPXY,2,4617,0
MMPXY,3,4617,537

Should these be colon as well as the green parts are?

Pocileh
21st February 2007, 11:43 PM
I don't think so.
the file called "compare" is a 'normal' working mapfile.
All content of that file should be okay.

It's just the mapfile (and I tested several) created by MapGrabber that is causing the Errormessage to appear.

Maybe I should have told that despite the errormessage the image is opened after removing the message, but then there is no relation to the position or the movement of the pointer at the map. The LAT/LONG values indicate zero and won't alter.

Knight44
22nd February 2007, 07:59 AM
It looks like the way you have your computer, or software, set up to display a decimal point - here in Aus we use the "point" but I know that elsewhere in the world the "comma" is used. And that's what is shown in your two green sections.

Richard

festy
22nd February 2007, 08:35 AM
I had a very similar problem not too long ago with my milage plugin for roadrunner. A couple of guys in europe were using it, and every time they stopped and restarted it, all hell broke loose.
It turned out that when distances with a decimal place were being written to file, VB was using their language's decimal place character as a , instead of a . - so when my plugin was re-reading the file, it was getting confused.
I got around this by changing my plugin to use a | instead of a . for reads/writes, but you don't have that luxuary as it's Oziexplorer that does the reading. One way might be to treat the float fields as text fields, and do a character substitution, changing the , to . then writing to file.
As long as VB is treating them as numbers, the decimal points will be commas.

Pocileh
22nd February 2007, 04:42 PM
It must be the dots (points, periods) :hatoff

And I'm quite aware of that problem because in spots where you enter data (lat/long) in Ozi i.e. when calibrating a map, then, if I enter a dot, it's not accepted by the software.
It has to be a comma (semicolon).
We normally would use a dot.
But even in Ozi there is some descrepancy because if I look in OziExplorer at the displayed LAT/LONG at the top of the display, I see a format like N 53 44,22 E 004 55,32 where in OziCE the display reads 53 44.22 E 004 55.32.
When I started using Ozi this was very confusing because where the help file said to use a semicolon (comma) I had to use a dot (period) - or the other way around - I don't quite remember :crutches

Having said that, just altering the comma's into dots by hand has not solved the problem, so there must be more to the error-message that gets displayed.
And... to be honest, it would be almost impossible to change all the files by hand.
I've looked into a way to do this in Notetab automatically by search and replace but that is a PITA because there is no simple way to distinguish between the signs that have to be altered and the ones that should not.
And my hope is that Jackaroo, having written the program, can provide an easy solution.

An other way out might be to alter all my settings in my system to 'english' values. But that's no fun either and I regard that to be a last resort.

Hittin the road
6th March 2007, 09:24 PM
Just been reading this thread. Have just downloaded a lot of the files that you have supplied. Some of you have been very busy and willing to share to all. I thank you for sharing and hope that in the future I may also have something to offer.

Jackaroo
7th March 2007, 04:00 PM
Hi Guys

Just caught up on this thread, as I have been away for a while.

Will need to reload VB6 onto my pc ( just another program to load after the crash of 2006 ) and then I will have a look at modifying the code to make sure periods are used instead of comma's.

Will keep you posted

Jackaroo
7th March 2007, 04:41 PM
Pocileh

find the OziMapGrabber.exe file on your pc and replace with this version. Let me know how it goes

Pocileh
9th March 2007, 01:21 AM
Pocileh

find the OziMapGrabber.exe file on your pc and replace with this version. Let me know how it goes

Hi Jackaroo,
Thanks for your engagement. More than I may expect !!!
But.....it didn't work. :sick3
Though, there is some improvement.
But there is a good message as well :food-smil
Just hope you can adapt your software.
This is going to be a loooooong posting I'm afraid.

First things first.
Included is an attachment. In there are 9 (yes nine) files.
1. four screen captures (jpg's) Will talk about them at the end of the posting.
2. Two mapimages. The images are identical but the names are different. Just to make things a bit easier
3. Three mapfiles.

And the good message is: one of these works, but I had to alter it bij hand.
First I created a map S30 E136 with the original exe-file, the one that causes the problems (for me at least)
Two extractions from the file: 'standard S30 E136,06 Z5.map'
From the top:
WGS 84,WGS 84, 0.0000, 0.0000,WGS 84
Reserved 1
Reserved 2
Magnetic Variation,,,E
Map Projection,Latitude/Longitude,PolyCal,No,AutoCalOnly,No,BSBUseWPX,No
Point01,xy, 599, 599,in, deg, 30, 0,S, 136, 3,6,E, grid,,,,S
Point02,xy, 0, 0,in, deg, 29, 58,16667,S, 136, 1,766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point03,xy, 0,1199,in, deg, 30, 1,833333,S, 136,1,766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point04,xy, 1199,0,in, deg, 29, 58,16667,S, 136,5,433333,E, grid,,,,S
Point05,xy, 1199, 1199,in, deg, 30, 1,833333,S, 136,5,433333,E, grid,,,,S
.(at the bottom)
MM0 , Yes
MMPNUM , 4
MMPXY , 1, 0, 0
MMPXY , 2, 1199, 0
MMPXY , 3, 1199, 1199
MMPXY , 4, 0, 1199
MMPLL , 1, 136,0296, -29,96957
MMPLL , 2, 136,0905, -29,96957
MMPLL , 3, 136,0905, -30,03048
MMPLL , 4, 136,0296, -30,03048
MM1B , 4,799602
IWH,Map Image Width/Height, 1200, 1200

Then I replaced the exe file as you instructed. Restarted the computer and created the same map, different name:

So from: 'repl S30 E136,06 Z5.map'
Toppart:
Reserved 1
Reserved 2
Magnetic Variation,,,E
Point01,xy, 599, 599,in, deg, 30, 0,S, 136, 3,6,E, grid,,,,S
Point02,xy, 0, 0,in, deg, 29, 58,16667,S, 136,1,766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point03,xy, 0,1199,in, deg, 30, 1,833333,S, 136,1,766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point04,xy, 1199,0,in, deg, 29, 58,16667,S, 136,5,433333,E, grid,,,,S
Point05,xy, 1199, 1199,in, deg, 30, 1,833333,S, 136,5,433333,E, grid,,,,S
.(at the bottom)
MM0 , Yes
MMPNUM , 4
MMPXY , 1, 0, 0
MMPXY , 2, 1199, 0
MMPXY , 3, 1199, 1199
MMPXY , 4, 0, 1199
MMPLL , 1, 136.0296, -29,96957
MMPLL , 2, 136.0905, -29,96957
MMPLL , 3, 136.0905, -30,03048
MMPLL , 4, 136.0296, -30,03048
MM1B ,
In the above files I've marked certain comma's in red. Big difference between the first file and the second file is in the lines that say 'MMPLL,1 etc'.
The first value in each of thes lines in the second file has a dot. This is probably altered because of the new exe-file.

And last but not least:
The file I altered manually and which opens the image AND is accepted by Ozi:'[repl S30 E136,06 Z5_dots_ex.map'
Top:
Reserved 1
Reserved 2
Magnetic Variation,,,E
Point01,xy, 599, 599,in, deg, 30, 0,S, 136, 3.6,E, grid,,,,S
Point02,xy, 0, 0,in, deg, 29,58.16667,S, 136,1.766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point03,xy, 0, 1199,in, deg, 30,1.833333,S, 136,1.766667,E, grid,,,,S
Point04,xy, 1199, 0,in, deg, 29,58.16667,S, 136,5.433333,E, grid,,,,S
Point05,xy, 1199, 1199,in, deg, 30,1.833333,S, 136,5.433333,E, grid,,,,S
.(and bottom)
[COLOR=Lime]Projection Setup,,,,,,,,,,
MM0 , Yes
MMPNUM , 4
MMPXY , 1, 0, 0
MMPXY , 2, 1199, 0
MMPXY , 3, 1199, 1199
MMPXY , 4, 0, 1199
MMPLL , 1, 136.0296, -29.96957
MMPLL , 2, 136.0905, -29.96957
MMPLL , 3, 136.0905, -30.03048
MMPLL , 4, 136.0296, -30.03048
MM1B ,

Here you can see that none of the red comma's as marked in the first two files is present. And this file is okay en opens in Ozi as it should.
I altered it fully by hand.

Soooo, if you can get the software to achieve this, ....boy :grouphug

But, I indicated it already...there is a problem with the input as well.
If I choose from the menue (TXT-files) an odd thing happens.
That's why I included the screenshots. They are marked in the proper sequence and what is important to watch for is the values in the entry windows.
When then the image is grabbed, there is an errormessage. After clicking 'ok' the program crashes.

(BTW why is there an 'S' after the words 'Centre Longitude' ? It took me a while to find out I had to fill out the Easting instead of the Southing - stupid I know but the 'S' made me think 'South' :crutches )

Well, Jackaroo... that's all I can say, apart from the fact that I appreciate your effort. You created a nice tool....and then this antipode came..... :wave

Sri
9th March 2007, 11:57 AM
Hi there,

I am newbie to all this. As someone suggested it's gettin too addictive. Is there a way to get this working on a PDA. I've installed OMZ and Ozi on my PC, I can get the maps to openup in Ozi. When I send the files across to the PDA Ozi dosen't recognise it. I presume both the .gif and the .map file are required but no luck though.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong or am i missing a step.
ie., convert the .gif to .ozf2/3 ???

Thanks & Regards,
Sri

festy
9th March 2007, 12:08 PM
Spot on, you need to convert them to ozf format before OziCE can load them.
Grab a copy of img2ozf from the oziexplorer website, it's a pretty simple tool to use.

toecutta
9th March 2007, 12:56 PM
hi folks.. great forum.. BRILLIANT tool.. but a little assistance please... have read through the whole thread.. couldn’t see the particular issue i am experiencing.. actually.. not even sure if it IS a real issue... probably me being a dunderhead... so please confirm my status or refute it ;-)

Using the Map Grabber tool.. select a location from the Name Search File lookup.. say... Sydney (2000) from the NSW txt lookup. Indicated Long = 151.2052, Lat 33.86959.
select zoom level 4
select a location for the exported files... c:\temp
give the map a name "TEST"
hit the Auto Grab Button
read dialogue box.. yup.. click OK
for simplicities sake select north 2, west 2
Click OK
the AutoGrab status bar indicates activity and the files are downloaded

now here is my observation... 1 set of gif AND map file in the downloaded dataset has the fully resolved Latitude and longitude coordinates... that is.. TEST S33-86959 E151-2052 Z4.gif or .map in this example

the remaining files all have truncated file names.. the seconds coordinates are dropped off, for example
TEST S33-87 E150-82 Z4.map
TEST S33-87 E150-82 Z4.map
TEST S33-49 E151-2 Z4.map... etc.

Is this a correct mode of operation?
If it is how to the .map file and the convertied image file actually lock down on the map where the origin is?

thanks heaps

toecutta

festy
9th March 2007, 12:59 PM
Is that because the other images all fall on whole-minute centers?

Hopefuly Jackeroo will be along shortly - he better know how the naming conventions work ;)

Jackaroo
9th March 2007, 07:37 PM
Is that because the other images all fall on whole-minute centers?

correct

Due to the overlapping of consecutive maps, the program uses the nearest 2 decimal places to make sure there is an overlap, so that you can merge the maps if you want

Jackaroo
9th March 2007, 07:41 PM
Hi there,

I am newbie to all this. As someone suggested it's gettin too addictive. Is there a way to get this working on a PDA. I've installed OMZ and Ozi on my PC, I can get the maps to openup in Ozi. When I send the files across to the PDA Ozi dosen't recognise it. I presume both the .gif and the .map file are required but no luck though.

Any ideas where I might be going wrong or am i missing a step.
ie., convert the .gif to .ozf2/3 ???

Thanks & Regards,
Sri

yes, you will need to convert the files to ozfx2/3.

Make sure you deselect the "Use full path in map file. Deselect to have image name only." check box on OMG

This will make sure the map file only refers to the image name and not the full path to the image when you first saved the maps

Jackaroo
9th March 2007, 08:22 PM
But, I indicated it already...there is a problem with the input as well.
If I choose from the menue (TXT-files) an odd thing happens.
That's why I included the screenshots. They are marked in the proper sequence and what is important to watch for is the values in the entry windows.
When then the image is grabbed, there is an errormessage. After clicking 'ok' the program crashes.

This will be another problem with the way europeans use comma's instead of periods to indicat a decimal point. The program is reading the comma as a thousand separator I think and crashing. Will look at this later

(BTW why is there an 'S' after the words 'Centre Longitude' ? It took me a while to find out I had to fill out the Easting instead of the Southing - stupid I know but the 'S' made me think 'South' :crutches )

hmm Dont know why the S is there, I think it was meant to be after the latitude to indicate entering positive numbers for south of the equator

Anyway - another new exe to try

let me know how it goes

Pocileh
10th March 2007, 12:33 AM
This will be another problem with the way europeans use comma's instead of periods to indicat a decimal point. The program is reading the comma as a thousand separator I think and crashing. Will look at this later

hmm Dont know why the S is there, I think it was meant to be after the latitude to indicate entering positive numbers for south of the equator

Anyway - another new exe to try

let me know how it goes

Jackaroo,

Good improvement. :mighty
The map files load without a problem now. But......(isn't there always a but) at this moment there are two strange things happening. :oops
1. When I do a download i.e a group of 4 x 4 maps, all the images are exacly the same. Name is matching to the map file and is loaded but all the images are identical. Not a pixel different.
At first I thought something was wrong with Ozi, so I re-installed it (also because of the second strange thing).
Then I loaded all the images into a viewer so I could see them all at once, and found they were all identical.

2. Once the group is indexed, they can bee seen in Ozi Index-map. They look as if they have their edges shared, but when I select one of these maps I cannot move from one map to another by means of the arrow. Northbound is fine. But east, west or south not.

Just in case you would like to try things I've added a group of four adjacent maps. They should be located at Pimba at 31,14S 136,48 E. Oh and one more remark. I also tried another group (near Port Augusta at 32,29S 137,45E if that matters) but all those maps were blank. These are included as well (4x4). These gif-images are very small.

Jackaroo
10th March 2007, 03:58 PM
I think most of the problems will be concerned with the comma/period throughout the whole program.

Can you try setting your regional settings to use a period instead of a comma

In Xp go to control panel, regional settings, click customise on the right hand side and change the decimal symbol to a period.

If this works I will see if I can access the region settings api to set the decimal symbol to a period when the program loads, and then set it back to its original when the program exits.

Lets see how we go

Pocileh
10th March 2007, 07:17 PM
I think most of the problems will be concerned with the comma/period throughout the whole program.

Can you try setting your regional settings to use a period instead of a comma

In Xp go to control panel, regional settings, click customise on the right hand side and change the decimal symbol to a period.

If this works I will see if I can access the region settings api to set the decimal symbol to a period when the program loads, and then set it back to its original when the program exits.

Lets see how we go

BINGOOO!!! :mighty :mighty

I used your original *.exe file, not the 'modified'.
I altered the 'Dutch' setting to use the period instead of the comma as by your instructions and that worked like a charm. Nice clear maps. Much larger than I used to collect before (250 -300 Kb compared to 20-30)
Then I just altered the regional settings (in XP) from Dutch to English (UK).
And that worked like a charm as well.
At the moment I don't understand this because that was the first thing I tried the first time and it didn't work then. :sick3

Of course I can do the switch by hand, no big deal, but if you can set this automatically during execution of the creation of the maps, that would be very convenient.
I then would appreciate the temporarely switch from "Dutch" to "English (UK)" instead of altering the comma in the Dutch setting. In case the system should crash with this setting applied it would be much harder to find the altered comma than the altered setting to English.

May I be so bold to report some other observations?
1. Inputs.
A> Since we europeans are so used to use comma's instead of periods, can you limit the input to periods only. At present both sign are accepted.
B> Limit the input for Latitude to 90 or less. The program just does it's job without complaining but produces only rubbish if lattitude is larger than 90 deg.

2. Creation of maps.
I don't know or this only happens to me, but after each fresh start of the program, the first image of the second batch is fully identical to the first image of the first batch.
The map files are correct. It's just the image.
Third batch and on is fine.

Thank you for all your effort.

ebswift
29th March 2007, 11:48 AM
As an FYI, google maps are now pretty solid. I'm in a much ignored location as far as mapping goes, and google maps can point to any address in the area, even in the new estates. There's a program called googleozi that grabs detailed google maps for a selected area, though it's not free, it's more like 40 or 50 bucks.

I'll checkout the map grabber when I get a chance, thanks!

Brett
29th March 2007, 03:24 PM
Just downloaded the grabber and set up a giant map of Canberra and surrounds. Works a treat. Thanks so much for the effort and the generosity. This thing's got to be up there with penicillin. :hatoff

wozza1958
30th March 2007, 10:37 PM
G'day. In my excitement at seeing this wonderful piece of software I stupidly missed seeing that you had only tested on XP! I am running Win 98SE on a laptop and it stuffed my browser and ability to drop & drag files. Well, I installed another browser but I was wondering if yo had any words of advice on a fix.
Cheers!

langb77
10th March 2008, 11:19 AM
Sorry for long time reply...

Hi All,

i have written a small program to remove the arrow from the top left hand corner of all the downloaded maps. It downloads the missing information from the server and replaces the area that the arrow covers.

There is little or no error checking but it does work on most files. I have run it over more than 5000 images and all worked.

It is configured through a .cfg file for different zoom levels and gets the coordinates from the corresponding .map file.

I have attached it here, suggestions welcome.

Thwack

I have tried this, change setting in remarrow.cfg, set all detail correct and nothing happens.
I have download imagemagick 6-3-9 Q8.

What have I done wrong ?

Smiley
6th September 2008, 06:00 PM
The program works well on one computer, but I get a runtime error (68), device unavailable on another. Is there a way to fix this? If not, I will just use the computer which works with the program. Unfortunately, thats the slow one.

Jackaroo
6th September 2008, 08:37 PM
The program works well on one computer, but I get a runtime error (68), device unavailable on another. Is there a way to fix this? If not, I will just use the computer which works with the program. Unfortunately, thats the slow one.

Couple of things:

Have you installed the program on the second machine or did you just copy it across. Try uninstalling then reinstalling.

Is the program trying to access a network drive for saving maps that may not be accessable. Try setting the save folder to another local folder

This error is usually associated with drives not being available, has been a long time since i looked at the code and will have to dig through the source to see what drives the program is trying to access. Can you give me some more info on when the error is happening

Smiley
8th September 2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks Jackaroo,
OziMapGrabber is an excellent program. I have merged maps making composites of the capital cities and a few larger towns. Great with oziexplorer, and Natmaps. Get close to the town, and oziexplorer goes to the more detailed maps.

The computer I am having problems with is one where I have installed new drives, and removed ones, so now my main drive is F drive.

It actually needs a clean out. Time I started from scratch again, so dont worry too much about the problem. I am sure after the cleanup, it will work again. I still have the other computer, and when I used mapmerge, I will just transfer the files to the faster machine until the cleanup.

Col

phil300
15th January 2009, 06:31 PM
First things fisrt great prog.
One question when I load maps into Oziexplorer it seems to use a strange map Datum, just load the Coral Bay map off Ozi-Mapgrabber saved to Oziexplorer when I open the map the Datum for the map is Naparima BWI.Is this the correct Datum for the Coral Bay map.

Cheers Phil.

Doc52
20th August 2010, 09:11 PM
Can I ask how you merged the maps ?
Do they still work fine ?

Cheers.

And I know I havent said this ... but WOW what a great program !!!

Jackaroo
28th September 2011, 08:10 PM
Map Merge for Ozi Explorer is available from the Official Oziexplorer website

sepa
8th January 2012, 12:10 PM
Haven't used this great program for a while, but looks like it doesn't work properly anymore. I've been trying to download Sydney maps (level 6) and most of them have blank areas. Looks like street-directory.com.au has worked out a way to foil the map grabber. Anyone had similar problems or have a solution?