PDA

View Full Version : Project a point with triton 500

Dazz
12th September 2009, 10:47 PM
I have recently upgraded from a explorist 400 to a triton 500 that I use for geocaching, hunting a hiking. In the advanced features of the explorist there is a setting to project a waypoint on a given bearing from a given point, it is a feature that I use a lot and it dos'nt seem to be on the triton??? can anyone clear me up on this? :hot:

Mulu3
18th October 2009, 07:49 AM
It is a simple process to calculate the coordinates of a point at a given distance along a direction from a known point. If this function is not built in you can do it yourself.

Let the distance be "d" and the direction be an angle measured clockwise from north called "A" for azimuth. * means multiply.

The difference in the eastings = d * sin A.
The difference in the northings = d * cos A.

Taking the sin and cos of the angle will sometimes be positive and sometimes be negative so you don't need to figure out whether to add or subtract these values from your starting position. The sign of your answer does this automatically.

A hand held scientific calculator is the easiest way to do this. If you use a HP RPN calculator you can convert polar to rectangular coordinates in one operation. The calculator will weigh less than your GPSr.

The Explorer
18th October 2009, 09:42 AM
Hi - apparently there is no project waypoint function on Tritons.

Workaround 1 is to pan the screen with appropriate display set up (ie bearing and distance from your current position shown) - match those to your desired bearing and distance and create a waypoint.

Workaround 2 involves creating a waypoint at your position, setting a goto and then moving to the desired point while again reading from the display (bearing and distance) though of course the bearing will be reversed so keep that in mind.

Cheers
Greg

Dazz
27th October 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks Fellows.