PDA

View Full Version : New user, 265w and macbook pro, shonky maps

hillbilly003
20th September 2009, 06:52 AM
I have just bought my first GPS, Garmin 265W. And also replaced my old windows laptop with a macbook pro.

I had already downloaded shonky maps on the old laptop. So I used mapconverter then transferred them to the macbook using a usb thumb drive. Then used mapinstaller to installer them on the macbook. I can view the maps without a problem on the mac using Roadtrip.

My problem is installing the maps on the gps. I have tried it by putting a 2gb SD card in the slot in the mac and using map installer and also by putting the SD card in the GPS then connecting the gps to the mac using the usb cord then using mapinstaller. Both options say that the maps are successfully installed but I am unable to view them on the GPS.

Any advice as to what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated as it starting to do my head in...

Thanks

Wahroonga Farm
20th September 2009, 07:00 AM
I hate to say it ... but what on earth possessed you when you bought ... a Mac? :hysterica

jcd
20th September 2009, 01:18 PM
A while ago I loaded Shonky maps onto my Dad's Nuvi (260 I think) using the cable method and Roadtrip on my mac. From memory you need to turn off the display of the in built maps in the Nuvi so you can see Shonky maps.

Bye Jeff.

hillbilly003
28th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have tried to turn off the in built maps but then all I can see is the base map. Nowhere can I see Shonky maps. I also tonight reformatted the Sd card again and loaded some pictures onto the card and tried to view them using the picture viewer. Again it didn't work. Could it be a hardware problem. Either the card reader in the GPS or the whole unit itself?

Thanks

Nev
29th September 2009, 01:59 AM
Make sure your SD card is formatted in FAT32 mode and has folders named Garmin and JPEG

The Garmin folder should have a file named gmapsupp.img (your mapset).

All your photos must be in the JPEG folder.

hillbilly003
29th September 2009, 09:37 PM
I finally sorted the problem. I went and bought a new **** Smith brand 2gb SD card, put it in the gps transferred the maps the same way that i have been doing it and bingo, it works. The original SD card was also brand new but was San Disk. It's now in the bin.

Thanks everyone for their help.

Hillbilly

phillipsart
30th September 2009, 02:39 PM
I hate to say it ... but what on earth possessed you when you bought ... a Mac? :hysterica

Don't worry Hillbilly003, These Windoze user's just don't understand. :hysterica on what there missing out on.

phillipsart
30th September 2009, 02:42 PM
So I used mapconverter then transferred them to the macbook

What is this Mapconverter your talking about?

Do you mean you can actually convert maps to Mac Compatibility and not have to rely on Vmware to view maps on a Mac.

hillbilly003
30th September 2009, 06:53 PM
Download map converter at this site.

garminhttp://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3897

MapConverter converts maps and unlock codes on your Windows PC to the Macintosh format.

And it works...

goodluck