PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Nuvi 1350 to USB Port

tonyg
24th September 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi guys,

This is probably a really stupid question, but I just purchased a Nuvi 1350 from the online store but I'm not sure how I connect the GPS unit to my computer. Do I simply use a phone or camera mini-usb connector to standard USB cable? I had a look around and I can't see anything on the Garmin or this site about what cable to use.
I'm sure I'm going to look really stupid asking, but if someone could be so kind as to explain how this works, that would be appreciated

robl
24th September 2009, 02:03 PM
No Such thing as a dumb question... just dumb answers :)

First thing to do is install the software that comes on a CD/DVD with your Nuvi.
Then just use an appropriate USB cable to connect it to your PC. I have found that any will do the job.

The trick with USB connections and PCs is to install the software on the PC first before connecting the device. This allows the PC to correctly identify the type of device connected.

So I hope this was not a dumb answer :)

But ....

As a bit of general interest, there are two types of USB cables that, even though they look identical to have a slight electrical difference between them. A standard USB cable will often cause GPS units to go into a "connected to pc mode" for data transfer. The other type of USB cable will power the GPS unit without putting it into that mode. From memory, I think there is a resister between a couple of the power lines or something like that, other may be able to confirm this .

Hi guys,

This is probably a really stupid question, but I just purchased a Nuvi 1350 from the online store but I'm not sure how I connect the GPS unit to my computer. Do I simply use a phone or camera mini-usb connector to standard USB cable? I had a look around and I can't see anything on the Garmin or this site about what cable to use.
I'm sure I'm going to look really stupid asking, but if someone could be so kind as to explain how this works, that would be appreciated

Michael
24th September 2009, 02:27 PM
When in doubt :rtfm :rtfm :hatoff https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00782-20&cID=134&pID=30937
p 24 of the owners manual (downloaded from Garmin site) says:
2. Connect the mini USB connector to the back of the Nuvi.
3. Connect the larger end of the cable to an available USB port on your computer.

Wahroonga Farm
24th September 2009, 02:45 PM
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/images/smilies/sign0012.gif Resort To Friendly Michael? :)

tonyg
24th September 2009, 03:18 PM
When in doubt :rtfm :rtfm :hatoff https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manual.jsp?product=010-00782-20&cID=134&pID=30937
p 24 of the owners manual (downloaded from Garmin site) says:
2. Connect the mini USB connector to the back of the Nuvi.
3. Connect the larger end of the cable to an available USB port on your computer.

The kit did not come with a computer connection cable, only a car power cable. The reason I was asking is to check what type of cable is compatable not which port in the GPS to stick it in (there is only one, so I had that figured out).
I'm trying ot work out if I should buy a cable or try using my camera connection cable.

Thanks Robl, you post was very helpful. I'll download the disk programme and then connect using my camera cable.

turbojet
24th September 2009, 04:14 PM
I bought a 1390 and it came with a usb cable also a usb cable that fits cannon cameras are the same cable

In the Box:

nuvi 1390 GPS preloaded with City Navigator Australia and New Zealand mapping
Vehicle suction cup mount
Vehicle power cable
USB cable
Dashboard disk
Quick start manual

tonyg
25th September 2009, 07:42 AM
I bought a 1390 and it came with a usb cable also a usb cable that fits cannon cameras are the same cable

Thanks turbojet,
Unfortunatly the kit I purchased did not come with a usb cable, but I do have a cannon digital camera cable. I'll give it a try this weekend (after I download the disk) and I'll let you know how I go.

regards,

Nicko
25th September 2009, 08:07 AM
The USB cable is not standard, If I am right GPSOZ includes the cable. I on the other hand supply a free screen protector, 2GB datacard and a carry case. The software I use (Ezimerchant) isn't flexible enough to have an add an accessory button for each main product. I don't mind swapping what I do provide for something equivalent in value such as the USB cable.

By the way Michael is a school teacher, he thinks if kids can use google so can an adult ;)

tonyg
25th September 2009, 09:06 AM
The USB cable is not standard, If I am right GPSOZ includes the cable. I on the other hand supply a free screen protector, 2GB datacard and a carry case. The software I use (Ezimerchant) isn't flexible enough to have an add an accessory button for each main product. I don't mind swapping what I do provide for something equivalent in value such as the USB cable.

By the way Michael is a school teacher, he thinks if kids can use google so can an adult ;)
Thanks Nick,

I was never complaining about the deal, I knew there was no usb cable included when I purchased.
I was just trying to work out what cables I could use, which has now been explained to me.
I'm happy now to know my Cannon digital camera cable will suffice.

Regards,

Nicko
25th September 2009, 10:27 AM
I was never complaining about the deal,

As if you were! ;) I know you weren't just letting people know the extras that some retailers do.

tonyg
25th September 2009, 10:37 AM
I'm a bit worried it was looking like I was stiring trouble!
However, the more I post, the more you will all realise, I just have no idea what I'm doing!

Nicko
25th September 2009, 10:47 AM
I haven't banned any regulars, only spammers selling ****** and sex... thee is one moderator you have to watch out for though :)

tonyg
25th September 2009, 10:54 AM
I haven't banned any regulars, only spammers selling ****** and sex... thee is one moderator you have to watch out for though :)
Well I hope asking what cable to use doesnt qualify me for a banning! I'll just have to remember not to include pictures of me drapped coyly in a usb cable.

Wahroonga Farm
25th September 2009, 11:16 AM
... I'll just have to remember not to include pictures of me draped coyly in a usb cable.Go on ... :)

Nicko
25th September 2009, 11:33 AM
WF, are you assuming that TonyG is of the feminine version of the human race?

darylr
25th September 2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Nicko,

Do I read some bias into that statement ????

It doesn't really matter if you get a laugh out of it. :hysterica

:ot

regards

Darylr

tonyg
25th September 2009, 02:08 PM
Go on ... :)
it's tony with a "y" not a "i" .
I can assure you such a picture would not only get me the boot here, but ASIO would probably be going back a few generations to find out where they could deport me too!

Michael
25th September 2009, 03:00 PM
it's tony with a "y" not a "i"
I'm sure our female members might enjoy such a photo.
The rest of us could show it to their wives.
I know mine gets a laugh out of some posts that she reads over my shoulder.

tonyg
25th September 2009, 03:11 PM
Right-o then. For my first post on this forum I've gone from asking about a USB cable to being "groomed' for nude photos with computer apparel!!
I think we all need a weekend! :hysterica

darylr
25th September 2009, 03:38 PM
Right-o then.
I think we all need a weekend! :hysterica

Have a great weekend. :sailing: :swim :zzz :fishing: :prost

regards

Darylr

Nicko
25th September 2009, 06:12 PM
WF= :eek :dig :sick3 :swim