PDA

View Full Version : shonky, zumo 660 and mac...

matthewcashmore
10th October 2009, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone - sorry I'm sure this is a very noob question but after a couple of hours trying to find the answer I'm going for a straight out call of help!

I have the new Garmin zumo 660 - complete with Europe maps - joy. I don't have the Australia maps and was going to try out some non-garmin maps first.

I've downloaded the linux/mac shonky maps - but I can't 'see' them in RoadTrip or map manager or map installer... I'm sure I'm doing something very very simply wrong - is there anyone that can help me get the shonky map onto my device?

Your help would be very much appreciated and if you're in the Melbourne area would be worth a beer or two... 1 on 1 help would be worth a meal and a beer or two!

m

Michael
10th October 2009, 02:01 PM
Hopefully someone with a mac may be able to help you.

If not you might have to buy a PC & install MapSource. :hatoff

matthewcashmore
10th October 2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks Michael - I'm beginning to think that may be the best option :-/ however there must be a way to make this work!

Michael
10th October 2009, 03:11 PM
There should be, but short term, using a PC may be the best bet. What part of Melb are you in?

matthewcashmore
10th October 2009, 04:06 PM
I'm in Williamstown, work in Footscray for Lonely Planet but get into the city quite often.

Happy to meet anyone anywhere for a 1:1 lesson....

m

Michael
10th October 2009, 05:16 PM
I'm a bit busy for the next week.
Will send you a PM (private message) soon.

jcd
10th October 2009, 08:19 PM
Hi,
I'm assuming you followed the install instructions that came with the mac version of shonky, as outlined below :-

The files are .zip files, to install once downloaded, double-click in the Finder
to produce a .gmapi file. If you now double-click the .gmapi it will run another
Garmin app called MapManager which came with Bobcat from memory, which puts the
maps in the right place for Bobcat to use them. If you don't have MapManager all
it seems to do is copy the .gmapi file to the right place, which is

/User/"you_user_name"/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps

and rename the file to have a .gmap extension.

The linux version of the Shonky maps is different, so make sure you use the mac version. Did the MapManager application start up and run to install the maps, if so can you check that the shonky maps are in the folder listed in the instructions ? Also, you will probably need to restart RoadTrip to see any maps that are added.

If you are still having problems, give me a bit more info on your system, like what mac you have, what version of MacOSX, etc.

Bye Jeff.

matthewcashmore
11th October 2009, 02:52 PM
Hi Jeff - that starts to explain things - I downloaded a zip for mac/linux from the forums - it drops a folder onto the mac that doesn't contain any gmapi file - I'm downloading the file from here

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2525

is there a more specific place to get the mac version from? I have mapmanager installed....

m

matthewcashmore
11th October 2009, 03:04 PM
Jeff - you sir are a star :-)

Once you work out the mac and linux versions are NOT the same and that the mac/linux link on this site is not actually the mac version it's easy... I just went to

http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

hit download on the left hand nav - selected the specific full topo mac version and indeed it downloaded a gmapi file that map manager opened and map installer is now dropping onto the Zumo - plus it seems to work in Road Manager :-)

Happy happy joy joy. No need to install windows :-)

Thanks for helping me out guys - beers on me.... Jeff you in Melbourne?