PDA

View Full Version : Travelling in the UK

aussiebob
25th October 2009, 10:30 AM
I am going to England next May (and probably the year after as well) and will be hiring a car for 3 weeks. I have an S45 and to buy UK maps from Navman is about $170. To hire a GPS from the car rental firms is at least that amount.
I believe that I can buy an S50 in the UK (I cannot see where there is any mention of the S45 over there, just S30 and S50) for about that same amount and in some cases, the seller will include extra maps on disk/SD card for other countries, including Australia.

So I have three options, all costing about the same.
1/ Buy Navman maps here and load up my existing S45.
2/ Hire a GPS with the car. From past experience with this option, it appeals the least.
3/ Buy an S50 already loaded with UK maps via eBay, new, or used but including extra maps for Australia. What is the difference between the UK S50 and the Oz S45. Has anyone come across the maps that one of the sellers is including, which he claims is worth about $150? (Yes, he is a "dealer", for what it is worth, but with a reasonable reputation).
Bob

Treadly
25th October 2009, 10:55 AM
England is fully mapped on OSM. OSM maps are routable and free, but you need a Garmin GPS to view them.

You can view OSM maps best on the Cloudmade website.

http://maps.cloudmade.com/

aussiebob
25th October 2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestion but if possible, I would like to stay with Navman, even though there are a few issues with my S45, such as hanging or not clearing the present screen before moving to the next (menu) screen.
Bob

Nicko
25th October 2009, 11:25 AM
The S series is a discontinued model. There has been two newer series since. Are they offering the AU maps free? What site is offering this device. If you want advise give details.

aussiebob
25th October 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info re "new" models. The Navman Aus site shows the C series as well as the MY models. I wonder if the new ones have overcome the software problems in the S45 (and I believe in others as well).
However, I have been back to the UK Navman page and they are still showing the S series as their current models. Maybe we here in Oz are a long way ahead of Europe, or, are they using us as a test country to see what happens in real life when they release new models.
I quickly went through the new models and it appears that the C60 is close to the S45 that, in general, suits my needs well. However I could not find any UK maps for sale on the Oz site for the C60. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Maybe UK maps will become available before I head off in early May.
I will send the link to what I am watching on eBay direct to you, off line,
Regards, and thanks for the interest,
Bob

Nicko
25th October 2009, 01:03 PM
Ebay, buy at your own risk!

Nicko
25th October 2009, 01:14 PM
Mio and Navman do not have a discontinued section like Garmin does, all it does is allow people to sell off old stock as current models.

aussiebob
25th October 2009, 01:17 PM
I hear what you say.
Thanks again,
Bob

Nicko
25th October 2009, 01:24 PM
The best prices ever cannot be through eBay for a legit product. It can only be through one of the large stores like DSE or Harvey Normans or Bing Lee etc.

This is how it works with the manufacturers. A new device comes onto the market, the biggest buyers get the best discount. Now and again they do a lost lead. An example of this is when JB HiFi sell the Garmin Nuvi 255 for $194 inc GST back in June 2009. At the time the best price for them is $198 inc GST. This is clearly a lost lead. On eBay someone sells it for $190. First of all no authorised dealer is allowed to sell on an auction site and this is true for Garmin and TomTom. As for Mio and Navman said to be the case as well.

Thus, how does a none authorised seller on eBay sell it at the same or lower price than the big boys lost leader prices? In the case of the sale of the Navmans with worldwide maps for $150AU it begs the question, how? I leave it to you to work it out.

Be aware authorised dealers have to state if the item is refurbished, on ebay they do to but they don't.

sMarty
14th November 2009, 03:16 PM
I am going to England next May (and probably the year after as well) and will be...
My lady and I were in UK for 8 weeks June-Sept '08 and we bought a car and a Navman S90i while there. The Navman in UK ships with all Western Europe mapping and we did drive through France into Germany and back to UK with comfort while using the Navman! (sold the car 2001 Kia Shuma for the same price as purchase 600quid... cars are cheap in UK!) Since I have been back in Australia I "was" going to purchase the Aus mapping but have not had the need to use. FWIW I am considering selling this unit and just buying an Australian Navman with Oz maps so if this interests you.....message me?

aussiebob
15th November 2009, 07:50 AM
sMarty, They say that timing is everything but unfortunately I got it all wrong this time.
I would have been very interested in your S90i but just last week I bought a "repacked" S50 direct from Navman UK. I have yet to receive it but I am placing my trust in the fact that it is coming from Navman, which is possibly a huge mistake!
However, apart form your offer, the alternatives were not very attractive.
The UK S50 appears to be "somewhat" similar but at a lower level in some regards, to the S90i. Not easy to tell exactly but I feel sure that your unit would have been ideal for me. But, unfortunately, a week too late.
Thanks anyway,
Bob