PDA

View Full Version : Using MapReverseConverter to make new format Garmin Maps compatible 'How To Tutorial'

asp_777
2nd November 2009, 09:35 AM
I want to run Garmin Topo on my laptop, preferably using Nroute as it's easy and clear to use. Works well with City Nav and shonks maps. I heard it can be done but needs some adjustments or other. Could some one point me in the right direction on how to do so? Thanks

R_G_B
15th November 2009, 10:01 AM
Using MapReverseConverter to make new format Garmin Maps compatible with nRoute (and Mapsource 6.13.7)

1. Install and unlock the maps as usual.

2. Run MapReverseConverter

(a) Point it to the location of the installed maps to be converted
- for XP probably C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Garmin\Maps\Topo...
- for Vista probably C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\TOPO...

(b) Accept the location for the converted maps under C:\Garmin\Topo... (or similar to match the product).

(c) Be patient while it runs.

MapReverseConverter automates use of the program GMaptool on any map in the new format.
It optionally installs MapSource 6.13.7 (and POILoader, MapInstall, UnlockWizard) too.

3. After the conversion process you will have two sets of maps on your PC, original and converted.

The product should now be available in nRoute.

nRoute retains full routing capability of the product, and gives voice-assisted real-time tracking with a connected GPSr.

4. If all has worked as expected, you can remove the original files to save space.

If desired, you can see both (old and new form) Registry entries using MapSetToolkit.

To remove the originals, preferrably use the Windows Control Panel (Add-Remove Programs, Remove the relevant Garmin Map installation - this leaves the unlocked maps in the converted form and location).

You can then check (and if desired delete the 'empty' Registry entry for the deleted new format map files) using MapSetToolkit; be careful not to uninstall the wrong mapset though!

5. Newer versions of MapSource so far work with the converted (old format) maps, so upgrading MapSource remains possible.

MapReverseConverter Website:
http://www.javawa.nl/cne2009_multilang.html

MapSetToolkit Website:
http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

Discussion also at:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.satellite.gps.garmin/browse_thread/thread/7acca49b01ea4e16

asp_777
15th November 2009, 02:43 PM
thanks for your email

R_G_B
22nd November 2009, 01:07 PM
Products like Topo Australia are good for on-road navigation as well as off-track hiking. Screens on hiking GPSr units like the 60Cx are a bit small for in-car use, and there is no voice assistance. nRoute helps if you can conveniently add a notebook computer for in-car use. Garmin has changed map formats (for compatibility across Mac and PC?) and no longer supports nRoute, but you can convert the new products back to the old format for use in nRoute if desired, as described in a previous post in this thread.

I was interested to use my old GPS12 to supply position data to nRoute (because it is less attractive to thieves than a 60Cx if left visible in a vehicle). It can be done as described below.

But can anyone explain why:

1. nRoute works fine with licensed map products before connection of a GPSr (as intended for route planning) and on connection of a GPSr to which the products are licensed (fair enough – the 60Cx in my case); BUT

2. nRoute disables display and routing for licensed map products when connected to a Garmin GPSr for which they are not licensed (OK, Garmin might prefer you to purchase another licence, but that seems harsh for use of an old non-mapping GPSr like the GPS12 only to supply position data); YET

3. nRoute provides full display and routing for the same licensed map products when connected to the same Garmin GPSr via a port emulator program such as GPSProxyPC with com0com??

GPSProxyPC identifies itself to nRoute as a Garmin GPSr. The map products have not been licensed to that ‘virtual’ Garmin GPSr any more than they have to the GPS12 supplying the NMEA position data.

So why does nRoute disable products on connection to a genuine Garmin GPSr, but enable them on connection to the same GPSr through GPSProxyPC as a ‘virtual’ Garmin GPSr??

-------------------------------------------------------------
You can try it yourself, using this procedure adapted from MalsingWiki www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Using_nRoute_with_non-Garmin_bluetooth_GPS_receiver:

Using nRoute with non-Garmin GPS receiver (or a Garmin GPSr without the same maps installed)

Overall, it works like this: The GPSr communicates with your computer via a communication port (referred to as a com port or serial port) assigned by your laptop. This may already be a virtual com port if you use a serial-usb adapter to get signal from an older GPSr that provides only serial cable output into a newer notebook computer that provides only usb input. GPSProxyPC picks up this connection, then converts the signal from NMEA (an open-source GPS protocol) to GARMIN (proprietary) protocol and sends it to a virtual com port created by com0com which in turn passes the signal on to nRoute via a second virtual com port created by com0com.

STEP ONE: Download the software (You should have Garmin Mapsource and nRoute installed already)

The (open-source) software needed is:

1. GPSproxyPC ver 1.6 (note: you need GPSproxyPC not GPSproxy which is available in higher version numbers) http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpsproxy/files/gpsproxy/1.16/GPSProxyPC-1.16-Setup.exe/download

2. com0com ver 2.2 http://sourceforge.net/projects/com0com/files/com0com/2.2.1.0/com0com-2.2.1.0-i386-fre.zip/download

STEP TWO: Install GPSProxyPC

If you get an error code (like 0c0000135) first install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0

STEP THREE: Check communication between your GPSr and PC

1. Turn on your PC and connected GPSr (via cable, bluetooth or whatever)

(e.g. for the GPS12 this involves a cable from the round Garmin plug to a serial DB-9 connector, then a serial-usb adapter if needed for your laptop).

2. Make sure all the relevant drivers for the connection are working first. This is specific to your equipment combination. You may be able to check in Windows Device Manager. A simple test is that Mapsource can find a Garmin GPSr. Any check for your particular GPSr connection is fine.

3. Set the GPSr for NMEA output

(e.g. for the GPS12, go to Setup > Interface > NMEA, NMEA 0183 2.0, 9600 baud).

STEP FOUR: Use GPSProxyPC to check com port settings

Your computer will already have assigned some com port numbers for use by things like modem or serial connections or serial-usb adapter, depending on your particular hardware.

You need to identify 2 unused com ports for com0com to work with:
(a) Open GPSProxyPC > Tools > Settings >
(b) Select “NMEA 0183”.
(c) Click on “GPS COM Port”. The Ports you see there are the ones already USED and unavailable for com0com to use. (In my case, com 1, com 3 and com 5 which has the GPS12 via the serial-usb adapter).
(d) Write down these com numbers and do not use them for com0com in the next step.

STEP FIVE: Install com0com

1. Follow the prompts to install com ports CNCA0 and CNCB0. Then use one of the methods below to give these ports names in the format (com#) that other programs recognise:

either (a) accept the offer to open the setup command prompt (or get there later via Start > All Programs > com0com > Setup Command Prompt).

In that setup command prompt you need to type (then ENTER) these 2 statements to assign com port numbers to CNCA0 and CNCB0:

change cnca0 portname=com6 <-- You can choose any (unused) number – see above.

change cncb0 portname=com7 <-- You can choose any (unused) number – see above.

or (b) skip the command prompt option and instead use the graphical setup (accessed via Start > All Programs > com0com > Setup).

In that Setup graphical window, assign the desired / unused com numbers in the boxes provided in the top of the right panel (e.g. com6 and com7 as above). Then click Apply.

2. Reboot to ensure that the new registry settings become effective.

STEP SIX: Make the settings for your system in GPSProxyPC

Open GPSProxyPC > Tools > Settings >
GPS:
GPS type: NMEA 0183
GPS COM Port: The port that your PC assigned for your GPSr (com 5 in my case)
Baud Rate: 4800 or 9600 (to match your GPSr interface setting)
Application:
Application COM Port: eg COM6 (the COM port you selected for CNCA0)
Baud Rate: 4800 or 9600 (to match your GPSr interface setting)

GPSProxyPC saves these settings between sessions.

STEP SEVEN: Make the connection to your ‘virtual’ Garmin GPSr in nRoute

Open Garmin NRoute. Go to Utilities > Select GPS > Serial Port, select the COM port you chose for CNCB0, eg COM7. (You can display the ‘virtual’ GPSr information under Utilities > Get GPS Information).

nRoute seems to remember the setting, even if it does not find it automatically on first use.

That completes the setup! IN FUTURE, just use this START UP SEQUENCE:

1. Connect your GPSr (running in NMEA interface mode) to your PC.

2. Start GPSProxyPC. On the top menu line, click “Start”. GPSProxy will automatically establish a link to your GPSr. You should see the time and incoming data changing on your GPSproxyPC screen.

3. Start nRoute. (If the GPSr is not automatically found: Utilities > Select GPS > Serial Port > COM# used for CNCB0 eg COM7).

You now have full use of your licensed Garmin autorouting products (and open-source products like NZ autorouting) through Garmin nRoute with position data from your (Garmin old non-mapping, or non-Garmin) GPSr.

R_G_B
25th November 2009, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately, the problem described by our friends in Canada (www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobile-pc/2583-garmin-nroute-problem-not-all-backgound-tiles-appear-display.html) also applies in the antipodes.

All is fine in MapSource, but when the converted maps are viewed in nRoute certain blocks of colour are missing. For me it is obvious by the absence of blue areas for rivers (not narrow stream lines which appear fine) and green areas for parks. The roads are fine (just don't drive along that boat ramp without looking out of your windscreen) - but there may be associated colour problems that I have not noticed.

The same areas display just fine in nRoute from a non-converted (old format) product covering the same area (in my case, MetroGuide Australia covering the same area as the converted Topo Australia).

Looks like a tweak of some kind is needed in the conversion program, or maybe a custom color file (.TYP)?

If anyone has the motivation and time, this TYP editor (for old and new format maps) may help: http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

asp_777
26th November 2009, 06:09 AM
Unfortunately, the problem described by our friends in Canada (www.laptopgpsworld.com/garmin-mobile-pc/2583-garmin-nroute-problem-not-all-backgound-tiles-appear-display.html) also applies in the antipodes.

All is fine in MapSource, but when the converted maps are viewed in nRoute certain blocks of colour are missing. For me it is obvious by the absence of blue areas for rivers (not narrow stream lines which appear fine) and green areas for parks. The roads are fine (just don't drive along that boat ramp without looking out of your windscreen) - but there may be associated colour problems that I have not noticed.

The same areas display just fine in nRoute from a non-converted (old format) product covering the same area (in my case, MetroGuide Australia covering the same area as the converted Topo Australia).

Looks like a tweak of some kind is needed in the conversion program, or maybe a custom color file (.TPV)?

I noticed the same thing, and I thought it was just me!!

R_G_B
26th November 2009, 12:20 PM
The problem of missing display of coloured areas (polygons) is indeed related to settings in the TYP file (or missing from that file), which are somehow handled differently by Mapsource and nRoute.

For a quick solution:

1. Back up the TYP file (e.g. I000017E.TYP) from the folder containing your converted TOPO map files, by renaming it to something that helps you to recall the original name - which you need later (e.g. I000017E.savTYP).

2. Download an alternative TYP file. Try SGJOHMAP.TYP from http://gpsmaps.jwpixs.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=35&func=select&id=1

3. Move the downloaded TYP file to the folder containing your converted TOPO map files, and rename the moved file to whatever the original TYP file in that folder was called (e.g. I000017E.TYP).

4. Optionally, remove the cached tile image files located in:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache
(otherwise things may initially look different across tiles in Mapsource).

Ta-da... rivers and parks (and lots of other coloured areas) are now displayed in nRoute.

NB: The new TYP file affects appearance in both Mapsource and nRoute (and probably also in your Garmin GPSr after re-transfer of maps), so that backed-up TYP file is your way back to previous appearance if this quick fix turns out to be 'quick and dirty'.

asp_777
26th November 2009, 02:12 PM
R.G.B. You are so clever..... Works!!!!!
Thanks for that. :hatoff

R_G_B
22nd December 2009, 12:46 PM
Alternatively, based on information at http://www.javawa.nl/nroute.html the problem can also be fixed by deleting the reference to the problematic TYP file in the registry section for the offending (converted) product.

This gives a 'default' Garmin rendering of map elements in Mapsource and nRoute (and I am guessing also in any subsequent upload to your GPSr). Personally, I prefer the look in nRoute and Mapsource from the SGJOHMAP.TYP file as described above (nice work by Jerome Wee).

If you are comfortable to edit the registry (with the usual precautions to back up first):

Either use RegEdit:

* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Garmin \ MapSource \ Families

* Select the appropriate subfolder (which is recognized by the name of the subfolder, or else the file references therein: Family_382 for TOPO Australia in this case).

* Remove the string with the name "TYP" (or point it to your preferred TYP file instead).

Or delete or redirect the TYP reference using MapSetToolkit (via MapSet>Edit).

R_G_B
23rd December 2009, 11:14 AM
Finally, to tidy things up (especially if you want custom TYP file settings to apply to the associated maps after transfer to your GPSr) it may be prudent to edit the TYP file to match the Family (FID) and Product (PID) codes of the associated maps. In MapSetToolkit (MapSet installed > Check Registry) you can see if there is a mis-match in these codes (as is likely with an imported TYP file made originally for another product). To make the correction, you can use the TYP file editor at http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi.

Just upload the TYP file to be corrected (from the converted maps directory), click Edit, change to the desired FID and PID codes near the top of screen (FID 382 and PID 1 in our example), scroll down the screen to download the edited TYP file, and save it to overwrite the TYP file that you uploaded for edit. MapSetToolkit registry check can confirm that Status is OK for this TYP file.

PS: If you prefer to use newer versions of MapSource to prepare Routes, make Waypoints etc, then for compatibility with nRoute you will need to save in Version 2 (not the new default Version 3) gdb format: File > Save As > Type. The ver 2 gdb files import just fine into nRoute whereas attempted import of ver 3 will fail with an error.

Wahroonga Farm
23rd December 2009, 02:00 PM
Hi R_G_B,

Thanks for this great series of Tutorials. I've 'sticky'd' the thread.

R_G_B
1st January 2010, 07:29 PM
If (i) you use Windows Vista and (ii) you decide after converting a product from Garmin new format (GMP_gmap) to old format (Family_img) maps to uninstall the ‘new format’ version as described above to save disk space (each version uses about the same space for map files); then (iii) you may find that MapSetToolKit crashes on attempted start.

To fix this, manually delete the directory for the uninstalled 'new format' maps under C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\. The directory will be named ProductName.gmap (e.g. Topo Australia V2.gmap), and it may contain a single configuration file (after uninstall has deleted the map files) named something like info.xml_new.

Then reboot, and all should work as expected.

-----------

If you look in Mapsource under Utilities (Manage or Unlock Maps depending on Mapsource version) you will see that Mapsource recognises the converted product as unlocked, in its new location - all good.

But it is always wise (whatever your operating system) to keep a couple of separate backup copies of your Garmin product keys and unlock codes, just in case!

PS: If nRoute gives repeated "lost satellite reception" messages when your GPSr is reporting good reception, check the battery settings in your GPSr. As noted in another thread, changing from battery saver to normal mode (with batteries in good condition) should fix this problem (whatever your operating system).

Greg J
26th February 2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks very much for your assistance. With all of your help I now have nRoute working fine on a Windows 7 laptop.

GWCTas
2nd October 2011, 10:12 AM
Hi,
I am a complete novice to GPS software so please be kind :) I have searched for a solution but can't seem to locate one. I have followed all the instructions but Mapset shows one file located in Families and used by nRoute as "locked" and the other (the original Garmin file) us "unlocked".
Can anyone help as to what I am doing wrong so I can use the Topo map in nRoute? I am comfortable with all PC related issues and can edit the registry etc. I am using Windows 7 and notice I have 2 versions of Topo installed; one in C:\ProgramData etc and the other in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Garmin etc.

Thanks for your help.

George

mihermano
2nd October 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi.
Which make and model of GPSr do you have?
Which maps? (eg: Garmin Topo Aus & NZ V3)
Were the maps purchased on CD or DVD?
Are they installed to PC and viewable in Mapsource and/or Basecamp?
Are they installed and viewable on the GPS receiver?
Garmin maps are unlocked to a specific Garmin receiver. Are you using this receiver and unlocked maps, with nRoute?

You might try (It's a BIG guess. No experience with Win7 or ReverseMapConverter.) backup and remove the unlocked file from Families.
... :)

GWCTas
2nd October 2011, 12:23 PM
HI,
Thanks for the reply. Answers as follows-
Which make and model of GPSr do you have? Garmin GPS 18x USB
Which maps? (eg: Garmin Topo Aus & NZ V3) Garmin Topo Australia v2
Were the maps purchased on CD or DVD? CD (but transferred to portable HDD and installed from there as laptop has no DVD drive. Unlock codes are there)
Are they installed to PC and viewable in Mapsource and/or Basecamp? Yes
Are they installed and viewable on the GPS receiver? Yes
Garmin maps are unlocked to a specific Garmin receiver. Are you using this receiver and unlocked maps, with nRoute? Yes but "map detail locked" in nRoute?

Regards,
George

mihermano
2nd October 2011, 09:17 PM
Hi. My system is fairly different, in comparison.*
When you run nRoute and a Garmin map, the software asks for unlock/ID. It won't run the Garmin map if it can't find the
codes.

A small piece of software called Fransons GPSgate (a (virtual) signal filter/splitter) may help. Install and run it. The icon
in Windows Desktop Taskbar (in WinXP) should be red if there's no GPS connection to PC, yellow if connected but waiting for GPS signal, green if it's receiving a valid signal. If green, right-click on the icon, and click on Settings. Input comes
from the serial port, and Output goes to nRoute (Emulator should suit in Output).

You could also try OSM maps; they don't need to be unlocked.
Can you view/select your installed and unlocked Topo maps in (Mapsource and) nRoute, if the GPSr is disconnected from PC?
:)

*EeePC 1001HA
32bit
WinXP sp3
nRoute
Garmin City Navigator maps
GPSmap 60CSx receiver

R_G_B
3rd October 2011, 07:32 AM
GWCTas, I have not had this problem. Looking above, the instructions seem less complete than my reference set pasted below (they may have evolved or been edited).

I am not sure what you mean by 'Mapset shows'. But with reference to step 2 below, it looks like you may have two installations of your topo product in the default directories used by XP and Vista-7. I guess that could happen if the operating system was upgraded some time or a 'mirror' was used to transfer various directories to a new computer. I would clean that up and be sure to have just one clean working installation of the licenced product before any conversion. I would make very sure that I had a backup of the product keys and unlock codes; then uninstall the product using windows control panel and check for complete removal using MapsetToolkit. Then make a fresh clean installation and licence the product as usual. Then follow the instructions below for conversion. The MapReverseConverter changelog mentions "4.2 Copying unlock codes from unlockcodes.ucx to the Windows registry". I have not checked for changes across versions - it is a conversion you only have to run once (or once each time you upgrade your laptop model) and I just tried to document it as it worked without problems for me (on XP, Vista and 7). As mihermano advised, you must use the Garmin GPSr with the same licensed product for the signal to nRoute, or set up a signal through something like GPSProxyPC as documented separately. I hope that helps.

Using MapReverseConverter to make new format (Topo, gmp) Garmin Maps compatible with nRoute (and Mapsource 6.13.7)

MapSource is a program provided by Garmin to allow display of Garmin-format maps on a computer. Early versions of MapSource (up to Ver 6.5) included capability for display of real-time position on a moving map, based on position data received from an attached GPS receiver (GPSr). With MapSource Ver 6.7, Garmin removed real-time tracking from MapSource and provided the capability in a free program called nRoute that accessed various functions (including maps) from MapSource installed on the same computer.

Then in 2007 Garmin stopped supporting nRoute (with Ver 2.7.6). In 2008, Garmin released a program called Mobile PC that is not free. Garmin products may require purchase of a separate licence for use in Mobile PC (unlike MapSource and nRoute).

nRoute remains free to download (via www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/nroute/nroute.html) and use. But there is no guarantee that nRoute will work with new versions of MapSource or Garmin map products. For example, in MapSource Ver 6.12.2 Garmin changed the default file format to GDB version 3, which can not be imported by nRoute. Also, new Garmin products (like Topo Australia) are being released in a new (gmp) format that is not supported by old versions of MapSource (like Ver 6.13.7 which many users still love for its speed) or by nRoute.

Up to MapSource 6.15.7 at least:
(a) You can elect to save files in GDB Ver 2 (via File > Save As > Type) if you want to import your waypoints, routes etc from MapSource to nRoute.
(b) nRoute works happily for products installed in the old (img) map format.

With a bit of effort (thanks to Andrzej Popowski and Javawa) you can also convert installed products from the ‘new format’ (GMP_gmap) to the ‘old format’ (Family_img) for use in nRoute. Here is how to do it:

1. Install and unlock the maps as usual.

2. Run MapReverseConverter, available from www.javawa.nl/cne2009_multilang.html

(a) Point it to the location of the installed maps to be converted. This will be in a folder with a name ending in .gmap
- for XP probably C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Garmin\Maps\Topo...
- for Vista probably C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\TOPO...

(b) Accept the location for the converted maps under C:\Garmin\Topo... (or similar to match the product).

(c) Be patient while it runs.

MapReverseConverter (by Javawa) automates use of the program GMaptool (by Andrzej Popowski) on any map in the new format. It optionally installs MapSource 6.13.7 (and POILoader, MapInstall, UnlockWizard) too.

After the conversion process you will have two sets of maps on your PC, the installed gmp version and the converted img version. You can see the Registry entries for both converted and original versions of the product in MapSetToolkit (from http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/).

3. The converted product should now be available in nRoute, but some coloured areas (polygons) may not display. This is related to TYP file structure, which differs between old and new formats in some way that is handled differently by Mapsource and nRoute.

Based on information at http://www.javawa.nl/nroute.html the colour problem can be fixed by deleting the reference to the TYP file in the registry section for the converted product. This gives a 'default' Garmin rendering of map elements in Mapsource and nRoute (and I am guessing also in any subsequent upload to your GPSr). Discard of the offending TYP file be offered as an option in newer versions of MapReverseConverter, or you can do it manually:

If you are comfortable to edit the registry (with the usual precautions to back up first):

Either use RegEdit:

* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Garmin \ MapSource \ Families

* Select the appropriate subfolder (which is recognized by the name of the subfolder, or else the file references therein: Family_382 for TOPO Australia).

* Remove the string with the name "TYP" (or point it to your preferred TYP file instead).

Or delete the TYP reference using MapSetToolkit (via MapSet installed > Edit).

Alternatively, you can try another TYP file (e.g. search online for SGJOHMAP.TYP), copied to the folder containing your converted TOPO map files, and renamed to whatever the original TYP file in that folder was called (e.g. I000017E.TYP). The effects depend on the details in your custom TYP file. You may find that different lines are missing. If you want custom TYP file settings to apply to the associated maps after transfer to your GPSr, you may need to edit the TYP file to match the Family (FID) and Product (PID) codes. In MapSetToolkit (MapSet installed > Check Registry) you can see if there is a mis-match in these codes. To make the correction, you can use the TYP file editor at http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi. Just upload the TYP file to be corrected, click Edit, change to the desired FID and PID codes near the top of screen (FID 382 and PID 1 for Topo Australia V2), scroll down the screen to download the edited TYP file, and save it to overwrite the TYP file that you uploaded for edit. MapSetToolkit registry check can confirm that Status is OK for this TYP file. So far, just deleting the TYP reference has worked best for me.

If you change TYP files, remove the cached tile image files located in: C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name \Application Data\GARMIN\MapSource\TileCache (otherwise things may look different across tiles in Mapsource).

4. If all has worked as expected, you can remove the original files to save space (each version uses about the same space for map files). Preferably use the Windows Control Panel (Add-Remove Programs, Remove the relevant Garmin Map installation) - this leaves the unlocked maps in the converted form and location.

Under XP, you can then check (and if desired delete the 'empty' entry for the deleted new format map files) using MapSetToolkit; be careful not to uninstall the wrong mapset though!

Under Vista, you may find that MapSetToolKit crashes on attempted start. To fix this, manually delete the directory for the uninstalled 'new format' maps. The directory will be something like C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\Topo Australia V2.gmap, with a single configuration file (after uninstall has deleted the map files) named something like info.xml_new. Then reboot, and all should work as expected.

5. Newer versions of MapSource so far work with the converted (old format, img) maps, so upgrading MapSource remains possible. If you look in MapSource under Utilities (Manage or Unlock Maps depending on MapSource version) you will see that MapSource recognises the converted product as unlocked, in its new location - all good. But it is always wise to keep a couple of separate backup copies of your Garmin product keys and unlock codes, just in case!

6. nRoute retains full routing capability of the (converted) product, and gives voice-assisted real-time tracking with a connected GPSr.

If nRoute gives repeated "lost satellite reception" messages when your GPSr is reporting good reception, check the battery settings in your GPSr. Changing from battery saver to normal mode (with batteries in good condition) should fix this problem.

GWCTas
12th October 2011, 03:17 PM
Apologies for the very slow reply - we had a death in the family :(

I have uninstalled, then checked and found no copies using MapReverseConverter 4.2 or MapSet Toolkit.
Next I reinstalled using the Garmin install program. After install it takes me to the Garmin we site where I enter the serial number. Strangely it doesn't ask for me to enter the unlock codes?
After installing, using MapReverseConverter, I found 2 copies. 1 in
C:\programdata\application data\garmin\maps\topo australia v2.gmap and the other in -
C:\programdata\garmin\maps\topo australia v2.gmap

MapsetToolkit shows 2 entries
1. Location=Families\FAMILY_382, Mapset name is TopoAustraliav2, Registry name is FAMILY_382, Directory is C:\garmin\topo Australia v2\, Lock="Yes"
2. Location=GMP.TOPO Australia v2.gmap, Mapset name is TopoAustraliav2, Registry name is FAMILY_382, Directory is C:\programdata\garmin\maps\topo Australia v2.gmap\product1' Lock="No"

No matter which version I try to convert, both show as "Map detail locked" in nRoute?
The map is accessible under MapSource.

I'm not sure where to go now?

George

mihermano
12th October 2011, 07:17 PM
Hi. In Mapsource, you can check your installed map status etc. in Utilities>Manage Map Products ...
If your installed map is locked, highlight it and use this function to Unlock Online.

Utilities>Get Unit ID ... may also be helpful.
:)

GWCTas
15th October 2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for your reply. I checked in MapSource and the map located at C:\programdata\garmin\maps\topo Australia v2.gmap\product1\ is shown as unlocked.

When I load nRoute the maps are shown and the Topo Australia v2 map is shown and next to the scale grid in the bottom right hand corner, it states "GPS Map Detail". However as soon as I plug in my GPS 18x USB unit, the description changes to "Map Detail Locked"?

Any help with this is appreciated as it's got me baffled.

George

mihermano
15th October 2011, 12:52 PM
Hi. Garmin no longer provides support for nRoute. I would suggest however you contact Garmin to confirm if your purchased map is OK and unlocked to the ID number of the GPS receiver you're using.
(in Mapsource: Utilities>Get Unit ID ... )

Cheers. :)

GWCTas
15th October 2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll check with Garmin.

R_G_B
17th October 2011, 10:49 AM
GWCTas,

I do not know why your system shows two installations of the gmp version; I have only ever seen one. (After successful conversion back to the old img format, you do not need the gmp version at all - so deletion is optional).

In MapsetToolkit, all of my Garmin map products show as locked (after they have been registered / unlocked to my GPSr). This just distinguishes commercial products from those that do not need to be unlocked before use.
In Mapsource 6.16 > Utilities > Manage Map Products; they show as unlocked. (Or in Mapsource 6.13 they will show under > Utilities > Unlock Maps > Wizard > View Installed Unlock Codes).

As you can see your product in nRoute (for route planning before GPSr connection) the conversion to img format has worked!

When you connect a Garmin GPSr, nRoute will lock the product from display unless you have registered it to that particular GPSr (serial number). Have you successfully transferred the product to that GPSr?

Mapsource does not show which GPSr your products are unlocked to. You may be able to check this if you have set up a "mygarmin" account, but I have not found that reliable over time.

Provided you have backed up your Garmin product keys and unlock codes (and you understand that transferring maps will overwrite ALL previously sent maps, so you must assemble everything you wish to use on the GPSr); you could resend the product to your GPSr from Mapsource.

If that works and the product displays maps on the GPSr, it must be registered to that GPSr serial number, and it should allow real-time navigation when connected to nRoute.

If you wish to provide GPS signal information to nRoute from another device, you have to set up through an intermediate program like GPSProxyPC as described separately.

-----------------------
GWCTas, I just checked to see what is an 18x - just a GPS mouse, not a mapping GPSr? In that case unless Garmin can unlock the product to an 18x serial number, you will definately have to use an intermediate like GPSProxyPC (open source) or GPSGate (commercial,and linked from the Garmin 18x page!).