PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching with Oziexplorer CE

bshwckr
6th November 2009, 09:16 AM
http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=7557&st=0&#entry89524

This GSAK macro is used to make the "Open File Attachment" work in Oziexplorer CE. It has just been updated to Version 0.6 as the previous version stopped working on later versions of GSAK.

It is a very useful feature to enable paperless caching with a PPC.
Programs required;
GSAK (latest version)
Oziexplorer CE 2
HTML reader on your PPC

Can be a bit fiddly to get it to work first time. I will post a how too if there is any interest.

The macro could also work with the Aventura Twonav as CompeGPS is also capable of opening file attachments from wpt files. Can someone please confirm if the Twonav has a HTML reader?

Mark

Smouch
6th November 2009, 09:50 PM
Thats interesting. I have Oziexplorer installed but dont ues it for geocaching. I use tomtom and beeline but would be interested in the process as I use GSAK to export to tomtom and beeline already :hatoff

bshwckr
7th November 2009, 05:21 PM
Here is a quick summary. When I find time, I will rewrite it with images.

To get the "Open Attachment" to work in Oziexplorer 2 (CE version), in GSAK generate the WPT file of the geocaches. Lets call this Geocaches.wpt. Save it somewhere say c:\Geocaches

Export the HTML files in GSAK and save them in the folder \iPAQ File Store\OziExplorer 2\Data\html

Run the ConvertWPTforPPC.gsk Macro in GSAK

In the macro settings, on the first line, the name of the waypoint to read is the one made earlier and stored at the folder in c:\Geocaches

In the second line of the macro, the wpt file to create is the one you will copy to the PPC. If you are going to call this Geocaches.wpt, then put it somewhere other than in the folder c:\Geocaches. It can be put anywhere but you need to remember where it is.

In the third line of the macro options type; \iPAQ File Store\OziExplorer 2\Data\html\

DONT FORGET THE LAST \

Once the macro has run, copy the newly generated wpt file to \iPaq File Store\Oziexplorer 2\Data

Import the waypoint file into OziexplorerCE. When you see a waypoint appear on the map, tap and hold the waypoint. When the menu appears, select "Open File Attachment". This will start the PDA's web browser and show an off-line version of the geocaches web page.
You can play arround with the cache settings in GSAK and even save images for off-line viewing.

Wahroonga Farm
7th September 2010, 07:59 AM
Has OziCe caching been improved since the last post?

The Explorer
7th September 2010, 05:47 PM
Has OziCe caching been improved since the last post?

No. There is not direct support for it in OziCe (ie no specific caching related functions) so you still need to do what is explained above to get anything close to what other software/units offer.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
7th September 2010, 05:50 PM
...though you can now (not sure when that came in) use gpx files directly without converting to Ozi waypoint format...though thats where it ends - you cant access most of contained info (logs etc).

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
7th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Interesting!

bshwckr
7th September 2010, 07:20 PM
Here is a quick summary. When I find time, I will rewrite it with images.

:surrender

Mr Router
8th September 2010, 03:27 PM
:surrendernever give up !