PDA

View Full Version : Linking GPS and GIS

Cattle-ist
6th November 2009, 04:48 PM
I`m with our local RFS and looking for new ways to access technology to help our ongoing fight to supress fires .

Does anyone have ideas or experience with GIS in particular to setup a unit for our brigade and local area ?

Dooghan
6th November 2009, 07:15 PM
What about Open Street Map (http://www.openstreetmap.org/)? Easy to use and add data to. Maps are made daily for the Garmin GPS. A couple cheap Garmin mapping GPS's and your set. The only thing is the data is public for all to use. Would looking to keep it in house?

Cattle-ist
6th November 2009, 07:37 PM
Well , yeah , for the most part , the intent was to keep it to ourselves . The GIS system I`ve got my eye on can give real time data changes , like for fires , the area and intensity in the given landscape . I suspect the GIS unit in question wouldn`t be cheap and no doubt the on-going server fees might hurt a little , depending on the info required .

Nicko
6th November 2009, 09:54 PM
Ideally a drone at high altitude with video would then transmit images to control and if really smart to each fire truck etc.

Cattle-ist
7th November 2009, 03:10 AM
It IS being done with satellite imagery now , with help from helicopters and planes with FLIR in extreme cases , not for all fires because of the cost.

Victoria has learnt a lesson and with their tech help will try to have it implimented here .

Dooghan
7th November 2009, 06:12 AM
What sort of system are you looking at? It would be interesting to see.

If it was me I would look at a system that is easy to use and has a nice big touch screen. Something mounted in the trucks, that could display your current location a sat map, with local roads, fire trails, houses, other points of interest, etc marked on it. Using the touch screen you can draw things onto the screen with your finger. Have a drop down menu with a number of different icons you could place on the screen. Maybe the data could be sent by HF radio to other trucks and to base. I would also encrypt the data or sign it so no one else can add fake data to the system.

mihermano
7th November 2009, 10:54 AM
Just a question: Is it possible with current GPS and/or GIS systems to georeference live video (sourced from a helicopter or whatever)?

Nicko
7th November 2009, 11:16 AM
It IS being done with satellite imagery now , with help from helicopters and planes with FLIR in extreme cases , not for all fires because of the cost.

That's why I suggest a drone, low cost and can be launched from anywhere. There is a company here in Perth that manufactures them and have sold many to overseas governments.

mihermano
7th November 2009, 03:43 PM
It would be good for immediately picking up spot fires and unexpected changes and knowing exactly where they are.

robl
11th November 2009, 11:12 AM
Hi Nicko,
Remember that unfortunately organisations like the RFS and CFA are still heavily funded by activities like chook raffles etc. We are flat out even getting basic communications that works in emergencies ( You should hear what radio channels sound like when every tanker is trying to talk at the same time when things get hectic ! ).

It would take an awful lot of chook raffles to fund a drone :)

Rob

Ideally a drone at high altitude with video would then transmit images to control and if really smart to each fire truck etc.

Treadly
11th November 2009, 01:24 PM
The government or the fire services should develop a real time system that works with OSM.
OSM is the cheapest (free), fastest to update(24 hours), easiest to use mapping system. It allows locals, who know the area best, to make changes quickly and easily.
Money wasted on expensive mapping systems is money taken from other resources, and is morally wrong in a safety context.

Cattle-ist
11th November 2009, 04:29 PM
I havent seen it in action yet but G.R.A.S.S (Geographic Resource ****ysis Support System) looks good in functionality .

I like the look of the Trimble Yuma Tablet . It`s got everything you would want , from programs , Bluetooth , Wifi TWO cameras , Internet access and reporting that can be sent by email , CDMA or via radio . I`m guessing it`s not cheap ......