PDA

View Full Version : Uploading Map to eXplorist

Stede
26th April 2006, 04:15 PM
Having a problem uploading regions from my copy of Discover Aus Streets & Destinations!!..(A few yeards old but it is all I have.)

I can create & save a region to HDD and this ends up with a ".rgn" extension

When I use Magellan "Conversion Manager" to upload to my explorist 210 it is looking for a region with a ".imi" extension and will not accept anything else.

Is there a conversion program that will take care of this..??

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated

arthurking83
26th April 2006, 04:39 PM
saving a region on DAST yeilds a .rgn file.

You then have to "upload" the saved file .rgn to get the rgn compiled into an image file (img)

Never used the conversion manager so I don't know if it works with only .rgn or img files.

DAST will turn the rgn into a GPS readable img file!!

Does that help?

Stede
26th April 2006, 04:48 PM
Are you suggesting to export directly from DASD (mine is Discover Aus Streets & Destinations Circa 2000) to my explorist..??

arthurking83
26th April 2006, 06:30 PM
Doh!

Oh boy! DASD (not DAST)... I missed that.

There is a img to imi coversion tool...I'll get back when I find it on my my 'puter!! :o

Is there an option to find an .img file or an .mgn file using the Magellan converter?

:confused:

The Explorer
26th April 2006, 06:46 PM
Hello - The older (Australian) Mapsend products will not work with eXplorists and you can not convert the maps using Magellan supplied conversion manager. You need to use maps created with DiscoverAus Streets and Tracks (DAST) or DiscoverAus Topo (ready made maps available on SD card only).
Cheers
Greg

Stede
26th April 2006, 06:53 PM
Bugger...!!

Oh well, DASD is still pretty good for fiddling around with tracks and waypoints. I may be able to impose on some friends to capture a region for me to upload to my eXplorist 210....until I can save up enough to buy DAST.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

michaeld
26th April 2006, 07:57 PM
didn't you get magellan conversion manager with your explorist it came with my 600 and I loaded regions from DAST to it

arthurking83
26th April 2006, 08:02 PM
Stede, can you create a map image for a GPS using DASD but upload it(save it) to the hdd or SD card reader...etc?
ie. not upload it direct to the GPSr.
(it kinda makes no difference, really but uploading a map image to the GPSr takes wayyyy too long!)

I can upload to here, a copy of a program to convert .img to .imi files.

Make sure you can upload or save the img files to the computer first!!

If you can't do this...then there's no point!!

ie. you need an upgrade :rolleyes:

The Explorer
26th April 2006, 08:19 PM
didn't you get magellan conversion manager with your explorist it came with my 600 and I loaded regions from DAST to it

DAST works fine with conversion manager....the original ("older") Australian Mapsend products dont. Impression I get is that Stede has older version ie Conversion manager wont work. AK has suggested he knows of another program that does work - I am not aware of this though if it exists it will/should be here..

http://www.msh-tools.com/

somewhere..

though even if you do make the old mapsend maps work they will still be out of date (no big deal ..just like all maps, just after they're made:)

Cheers
Greg

BurnieM
26th April 2006, 09:07 PM
The conversion manager only works with waypoints, routes and tracklogs

DAST itself will create the regions in .imi format after it recognises the serial number as an eXplorist

Stede
26th April 2006, 10:15 PM
Yes I can save a region to HDD, but the file extension is".rgn".

When I try to use Magellan Conversion manager to upload the region to my GPS (eXplorist 210/USB), it does not recognise the file as it will only recognise imi/img files.

As "The Explorer" says it may be due to my copy of Discover Aus Streets and Destinations being out of date and no longer compatible with the newer GPS's.

I have made several posts on this BB & others trying to buy a second hand copy of DAST but there doesn't appear to be any available. I don't want to spend too much on a copy as DASD currently does everything I require except allow me to upload regions to the GPS....BUGGER!!!

arthurking83
26th April 2006, 10:42 PM
With most Magellan Mapping softwares you need to be able to connect to the GPS with the software, for recognition purposes. I think once you have done this, you then only need to specify the GPSr serial number or something????

If you have had an old Magellan and can get DASD to create the map for upload to the hdd, then you should be able to convert the img to an imi file???
I'm assuming that the img file of DASD is the same format as DAST, should be as they are just Australianised versions of Mapsend!

The rgn file you are seeing is just a bunch of specifications and configurations for DASD to create the actual .img file.

My 64 Meg DAST v1 maps took about 1/2 - 1 hour to compile into an img file for upload onto the SD card. (On an Athlon 3200!)

the regions files are usually saved by Mapsend to the DOCS folder in the DASD/DAST/Mapsend install directory.
a rgn file is usually about 1-2kb size.

The map images, will be saved to the Install Folder\Export\Images folder.
If you have saved or uploaded any maps to the GPS or SD card reader or hdd, they get sent here first.
An img file can be any size upto 64 Meg by default(dunno about the DASD filesize limit!) You can edit a file to up that!!
Some versions of Mapsend deleted the img files after uploading to the gPSr, some didn't????

:)

Stede
30th April 2006, 11:53 AM
I know I am pushing my luck,,,,, BUT would I be able to IMPOSE on one of you guys who has a version of DAST that is compatible with eXplorists, to possibly send me a "Region"....

As can be seen from previous posts in this thread my software is out of date and will not work with my new GPS.

I am going exploring the Watagans/Sugarloaf next Tuesday and would really like to be able to upload a map of the area.

I am looking for........

From S-32 degrees 45 to S-33 degrees 18

&

From E 151 degrees to E 151 degrees 50

On my version of Discover Aus Streets & Destinations this region is around 6 Mb and would keep me out of trouble until I save up for a newer version of DAST.

The file size is pretty big, so I am not sure if it could be emailed zipped or rar'd.

I would be eternally greatful to anyone who could assist.

Dooghan
30th April 2006, 04:31 PM
That would be in breach of copyright if someone was to do that. Even making post like on this forum could get the admins in trouble. So don't be surprised if your post gets deleted.

Dooghan

Stede
30th April 2006, 05:00 PM
Yes, accept that this post may be a problem...I didn't think of the possible copyright problem...BUGGER.

FORUM ADMIN: Please delete this post if it contravenes forum rules.

Gives me the screaming abdabs though, having to buy the latest version of DAST simply because Magellan has decided to changed the file format. I upgraded to a new explorist thinking that I would save a few bob as I already had Mapsend Discover Aus Streets & Destinations...now I know better.!!!

The Explorer
30th April 2006, 06:15 PM
Yes, accept that this post may be a problem...I didn't think of the possible copyright problem...BUGGER.

FORUM ADMIN: Please delete this post if it contravenes forum rules.

Gives me the screaming abdabs though, having to buy the latest version of DAST simply because Magellan has decided to changed the file format. I upgraded to a new explorist thinking that I would save a few bob as I already had Mapsend Discover Aus Streets & Destinations...now I know better.!!!

Yes - It is indeed a bit of a pain - I think you can trade in the old Mapsend and get a discount though..If you actually use your GPS a fair bit it is (as you probably already know) worth the $.
Cheers
Greg

arthurking83
30th April 2006, 07:07 PM
I read this post and initially thought that it may be breaching forum rule with copyrights 'an all....

But I'm not sure that it does???

Reason is.... that you can legally load a copy of DAST from the PC onto two different Magellan GPS's....

I haven't read the license thoroughly..(who does? :p ) but DASTv1 allows you to load it to two different GPS's via the 'security' of serial numbers.

Once you have used those two security numbers (I think??)you can't use another.

Although I never tried!

BTW...I can try to make a small map about 2-3 meg in size and email it to 'ya Stede.

It doesn't use DAST data, and the data isn't the most detailed....
It was maps I was making prior to the release of DAST topo.
The map data is from the Geoscience vector data...freely dowenloadable.
*It's not the Natmap 250K maps!*
Making them involves way to much tedious work (which I hate!).....

I'll PM ya.

:)
ps. I do recommend to purchase DAST v1 (CD) from the Online Shop currently on sale..etc. Also have a look at AddMagMap, for editing (Mapsend)DAST maps, to keep maps up to date!

Stede
30th April 2006, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your responses guys.

I am happy for my post to be removed if it breaches Forum rules or indeed contravenes Magellan copyright in any way.

I have been looking at DAST on special on GPS Aus but alas, just don't have any spare cash at the moment. My missus has threatened to remove a couple of important components from my reproduction system if I put anything on "plastic". :eek: