PDA

View Full Version : i.Trek USB GPS - DOA??

cheeeeese2001
4th May 2006, 01:07 PM
G'day all,

A long time lurker, this is my first post.

I picked up an i.Trek S1 Mouse GPS on ebay the other day (apparently these are rebadged Globalsat devices). Got it yesterday, installed the driver (which was the same driver as my USB-serial cable) and got absolutely nothing.

No data coming down the line when checking in all programs, including hyperterminal.

Also, the red LED that is supposed to flash when a GPS fix is obtained, stays steady constantly. Is there any chance that this unit is not completely stuffed?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

festy
4th May 2006, 02:50 PM
I'd say a good chance it's not stuffed. These things normally come with their own driver that you sometimes have to 'force' to install - XP will refer to the devices as a HID or similar, and ignore your driver because it's not signed. What driver is installed for it? A standard generic MS driver?
Also, there should be a utility that came with it to do things like reset and cold start the GPS mouse. Before it can be of much use, after installing the driver properly you should cold start the GPS to get it to locate the sats and transfer the almanac (so it knows roughly where to find the sats next time:) )

cheeeeese2001
4th May 2006, 04:49 PM
G'day Festy,

2 drivers are installed when I check in the hardware manager.

ser2pl.sys is the Prolific driver that came with the GPS
serenum.sys is a Microsoft driver.

Are you saying that if I kill the Microsoft driver, it should work? If os, how?

Thanks.

cruzzzinaround
5th May 2006, 07:31 AM
Same prob here with an itrek CF card type gps it turned out that we had to specify which port it was pluged into as the auto search did not find anything, if you are using this with ozieexplorer goto FILE ---- configeration --- Com then trial and error of each port from here
:)

cheeeeese2001
5th May 2006, 08:33 AM
Last night I removed Windows from the equation completely. Plugged it into a Mac OSX box and using the drivers, installed it. Checked all was configured correctly but it couldn't open the specified port. I think it is cactus. Is going back today...

Nicko
9th January 2007, 01:24 PM
Are you in a position for the GPS to pickup sats?

Nicko
9th January 2007, 01:27 PM
get comportchecker it should indicate whats happening, from memory its at the oziexplorer site

cheeeeese2001
18th January 2007, 10:20 AM
Trust me - it was stuffed.

I sent it back and bought a new one ebay - Holux with the Sirf Star III. Newer and better. No regrets or problems since.