PDA

View Full Version : MapShare - does it really work?

gtc
23rd December 2009, 02:21 PM
TomTom (Sensis) maps insist that there is a phantom roundabout in a street in my suburb.

I have reported the error to Sensis (twice) and uploaded the correction through TomTom MapShare.

So far, no action via either method.

I give up on Telstra Sensis. What does it take for MapShare to action an update?

Pocileh
23rd December 2009, 06:20 PM
As far as I have found it works, though not immediately.
And it depends on your own settings for mapshare.

I'm not related nor have I any shares or whatever kind of interests in TT apart from being a user, so what I write here is my own experience.

TT doesn't react upon one user reporting a fault. It collects several before making corrections.
In TTHome you can make decisions (by means of some settings) as how and when you want to take advantage (or not) of published corrections.
This way you can choose what kind of corrections you want to receive, starting with corrections reported by some users and not confirmed by TT up to reported by many users and confirmed by TT (in three or four steps IIRC).
This setting is pretty hidden. I stumbled upon it by coincidence, made my settings and at the moment it seems as if I can't find them again.
So along this line there may several reasons as why you don't see these corrections -you've reported- being added to your map.

As an example how quickly a correction can be applied:
A nearby street got single direction traffic signs.
I reported that about four days after the signs were put in place.
About one week thereafter the change was visible in TT.
I assume many have reported this to TT so it was published fairly quickly, but in this case the correction was visible only about two weeks after the change.

gtc
23rd December 2009, 06:45 PM
TT doesn't react upon one user reporting a fault. It collects several before making corrections.

In TTHome you can make decisions (by means of some settings) as how and when you want to take advantage (or not) of published corrections.

This way you can choose what kind of corrections you want to receive, starting with corrections reported by some users and not confirmed by TT up to reported by many users and confirmed by TT (in three or four steps IIRC).

This setting is pretty hidden. I stumbled upon it by coincidence, made my settings and at the moment it seems as if I can't find them again.

Thank you. I found the control you mention under Tools > TomTom Map Share > Map Share Preferences and changed my Trust Level from Strict to Low.

Munners
28th January 2011, 11:06 AM
I posted an update last night.

I'd like to know, if you post an update, does it take effect on your own GPS Map immediately? ...and then available to others once connected to TomTomHome (depending on individuals Trust settings).