PDA

View Full Version : GPS map download

CanAndTAS
28th December 2009, 01:37 PM
Hi. I have downloaded the free maps, how do I get the maps on to my Magellan Maestro 4350? I tryed installing them from my computer, but I didn't know what kind of program to open it with.
I also tried it on the GPS, not doing anything with the SD card, thinking they might be ready to go.
Ya... Help please

CanandTAS

Nicko
28th December 2009, 02:36 PM
Most likely you will find the fee maps are not designed for the Maestro Navigators.

You need to be more specific as to what handheld you have and which free maps you downloaded.... it helps.

If you are going to throw a bone at least make sure it is one we can identify

CanAndTAS
28th December 2009, 03:17 PM
Ok. You don't have to be so rude...
What more details do you want?...

Wahroonga Farm
28th December 2009, 03:25 PM
...You need to be more specific as to what handheld you have and which free maps you downloaded.... it helps. ....Like the good man politely asked.

CanAndTAS
28th December 2009, 03:38 PM
Ok... Whatever. I can't hear tones of voice so...
I gave the details. I said that I have a Magellan Maestro 4350. I'm not sure what other details the person wants.
And, why wouldn't the free maps work on a Maestro?

Oh, free maps I downloaded. umm, non yet until I get this problem solved, but I am going to DL the Australia map and TAS, and maybe NSW, since I will be there Feb 3ed.

CanAndTAS

Nicko
28th December 2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, let's put you and any other Magellan users out of their misery, assuming they bother to read this and past threads on Magellan.

Unlike Garmin, Magellan are not consistent in their map formats, that is to say they have various map formats even between their handhelds such that the old Meridian maps do not work on the eXplorist and the latest handheld GPS, the Triton series. The only one that is is the CrossoverGPS by Magellan a street navigator and off road map machine.

The Maestro uses a different map format, why, no one knows, it's a Magellan thing.

Just a note, Garmin recently introduced the NT versions of street maps which only work on the Nuvi, Zumo, Edge and current handhelds. At least the free Garmin maps work on any of those units as they all accept the same format.

CanAndTAS
29th December 2009, 03:42 AM
Ok. Thank you.
Umm, then whats the point of actullyhaving free maps for Magellan, if they map different ones for more or less each of there units? LOL.

I mean, they all just say all over the internet 'Magellan maps' Umm... Does that sound like not enough detail to anyone else?
So... Back to the top.

Edit: Ok, so I was looking at a site, and they said that the Maestro was mostly just for updates for preloaded maps... So... Ok, if I have to return THIS one (My 1st one you couldn't DL maps whatsoever...) I'll give up and get one in Sidney in Feb or something...

*And about 45 minutes later...*

Do all Magellan GPS units basicly work the same. Like they have blue tooth, and adress, stuff like that all in the same order from one device to the next? (Yes, I know you are either sleeping or waking up right now. (Depends if you sleep in or not.)

CanAndTAS

Nicko
29th December 2009, 11:08 AM
Ok. Thank you.
Umm, then whats the point of actullyhaving free maps for Magellan, if they map different ones for more or less each of there units? LOL.

Having free maps for handhelds and the CrossoverGPS is good enough reason I think

I mean, they all just say all over the internet 'Magellan maps' Umm... Does that sound like not enough detail to anyone else?
So... Back to the top.

That's because you are looking at generic web sites that know nothing other than what Magellan tell them, in otherwords "underground" web sites like ours tell you differently and correctly.

Edit: Ok, so I was looking at a site, and they said that the Maestro was mostly just for updates for preloaded maps... So... Ok, if I have to return THIS one (My 1st one you couldn't DL maps whatsoever...) I'll give up and get one in Sidney in Feb or something...

*And about 45 minutes later...*

Do all Magellan GPS units basicly work the same. Like they have blue tooth, and adress, stuff like that all in the same order from one device to the next? (Yes, I know you are either sleeping or waking up right now. (Depends if you sleep in or not.)

Basically the Maestro series are no longer available in Australia, meaning the Australian Distributor no longer imports and sell them. So, asking for detailed info on them is not really applicable any more. My advice is, sell it and then specify what you want from a GPS and ask it in this forum.

CanAndTAS

CanAndTAS
29th December 2009, 02:19 PM
Well, I don't have to sell it, just return it to the store. Ummm... I guess you might now know what GPS are avalable in Canada, and can DL maps without any problem. I'll do research but two heads are better then one.

"Having free maps for handhelds and the CrossoverGPS is good enough reason I think"

Ya... But you said that Garmin had all the maps the same in all there GPS units...

"Basically the Maestro series are no longer available in Australia, meaning the Australian Distributor no longer imports and sell them. So, asking for detailed info on them is not really applicable any more. My advice is, sell it and then specify what you want from a GPS and ask it in this forum."

I was asking about ALL Magellan units. Do they all have the same fetures basicly? Not just about the maestro ones. Ok. If I buy a GPS in Australia (Im really thinking about it,) what units can I DL Canadian maps on for free, and where could I get them?
Also - Voice on them
Key board
pedestrian mode (I won't have a car.)
AC adaptor

Ya, I think that's basicly it.

CanAndTAS

Nicko
29th December 2009, 04:54 PM
Well, I don't have to sell it, just return it to the store. Ummm... I guess you might now know what GPS are avalable in Canada, and can DL maps without any problem. I'll do research but two heads are better then one.

"Having free maps for handhelds and the CrossoverGPS is good enough reason I think"

Ya... But you said that Garmin had all the maps the same in all there GPS units...

"Basically the Maestro series are no longer available in Australia, meaning the Australian Distributor no longer imports and sell them. So, asking for detailed info on them is not really applicable any more. My advice is, sell it and then specify what you want from a GPS and ask it in this forum."

I was asking about ALL Magellan units. Do they all have the same fetures basicly? Not just about the maestro ones. Ok. I

No, only possible units to have Bluetooth are street navigators, handhelds don't.

f I buy a GPS in Australia (Im really thinking about it,) what units can I DL Canadian maps on for free, and where could I get them?

That's a semi tricky question. The best you will get is www.openstreetmap.org maps for the Garmin.

Also - Voice on them
Key board
pedestrian mode (I won't have a car.)
AC adaptor

There is only one handheld that has voice.... just :) and that is the Twonav Aventura. However, it is not available in North America yet. All brands and models of street navigators have the above though

Ya, I think that's basicly it.

CanAndTAS

CanAndTAS
29th December 2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks. For that last question, I was wondering about the ones that were not handheld, because I don't really know how good tomographic maps are compared to the street and road maps, and if I'm going to get my drivers down there at some point, I don't want to be switching GPS's in like 3 or 4 years.
Thanks.
CanAndTAS

CanAndTAS
31st December 2009, 06:28 AM
\about that post where your siad somethingabout putting magellan users out of thre misory, and some other stuff? I think you should acept different cultures have different standers of what mean is ok? I think also that you should try to step into other peoples shoes and think how come they think this, when I don't? You don;t have to say something mean. I just chose not to say anything, but apperently you don't know how to relate to people in that sort of way as stepping into there shoes, if in deed it was a mean kind of post, to get back at me, because I had commented on yours. And why wouldn't people want to 'bother' to read this thread? What is so wrong with it?

CanAndTAS

Nicko
31st December 2009, 11:02 AM
It's is not an opinion I give, it is facts. I have not the time to make people feel good about a product that does not do what they want, has compatibility problems with maps, no decent support or 3rd party maps like OzTopo for Garmin, that accessories are no longer available in some cases 6 months after the product is discontinued and has severe problem of what the PC world call the "Blue Screen of Death".

If people choose to buy a Magellan from overseas because it is much cheaper than buying locally it is my duty to inform them of the consequences of that, like I had to explain to someone for 20 minutes on the phone yesterday that the Magellan GPS he has got will not display Australian maps past the 1.5km scale, a GPS he did not buy from me, a GPS that will cost him $300 to change the basemap from USA to Australia.

No matter how you read it, Magellan products in Australia are inferior and excruciatingly so considering that you cannot necessarily swap maps on SD from one Magellan to another, that the Maestro maps do not have free maps to suit it, that they have been discontinued for 3 months and still being sold with no future gaurantee that map updates will continue in 2010 and onwards.

So, if you think I am being rude in how I say what I say, it is because I consider certain GPS manufacturers do not appreciate the high cost people have to pay once they make a purchase to the extent where you have to ask who benefits from there atrocious business ethos.

Your first post was rather confusing and I assumed you had tried it on two different GPS, my mistake but the replies there on still apply.

My comment regarding putting Magellan users out of their misery is pertinent because 95% of the time my moderators and I constantly repeat and link to the easily found information, information easily accessible via the search button.

Your assumption that I am being mean is unreasonable. I don't dilly dally, I don't try to ease the pain you or anyone else that has suffered from realising they have a dud. If you need sympathetic words then call Magellan or Garmin or whoever, because they will thank you for buying their wonderful product and blow all your worries away with their standard nice phone mannerism and empty promises of fixing your problems.

CanAndTAS
1st January 2010, 12:57 PM
It's is not an opinion I give, it is facts. I have not the time to make people feel good about a product that does not do what they want, has compatibility problems with maps, no decent support or 3rd party maps like OzTopo for Garmin, that accessories are no longer available in some cases 6 months after the product is discontinued and has severe problem of what the PC world call the "Blue Screen of Death".

If people choose to buy a Magellan from overseas because it is much cheaper than buying locally it is my duty to inform them of the consequences of that, like I had to explain to someone for 20 minutes on the phone yesterday that the Magellan GPS he has got will not display Australian maps past the 1.5km scale, a GPS he did not buy from me, a GPS that will cost him $300 to change the basemap from USA to Australia.

No matter how you read it, Magellan products in Australia are inferior and excruciatingly so considering that you cannot necessarily swap maps on SD from one Magellan to another, that the Maestro maps do not have free maps to suit it, that they have been discontinued for 3 months and still being sold with no future gaurantee that map updates will continue in 2010 and onwards.
Ok. See, I didn\t know all that stuff above. I didn't now that Magellans were not good in Aus. I didn't expect you to MAKE me feel good about a prodect. Just answer my questions, and I would take it as is. :).

So, if you think I am being rude in how I say what I say, it is because I consider certain GPS manufacturers do not appreciate the high cost people have to pay once they make a purchase to the extent where you have to ask who benefits from there atrocious business ethos.

My comment regarding putting Magellan users out of their misery is pertinent because 95% of the time my moderators and I constantly repeat and link to the easily found information, information easily accessible via the search button.
All right. Thanks you for explaining.

Your assumption that I am being mean is unreasonable. I don't dilly dally, I don't try to ease the pain you or anyone else that has suffered from realising they have a dud. If you need sympathetic words then call Magellan or Garmin or whoever, because they will thank you for buying their wonderful product and blow all your worries away with their standard nice phone mannerism and empty promises of fixing your problems.
I need no sympathy, just answers to my questions that I can not find on the net.

Thanks for moving my post. Next time can you please tell me?
What's my title mean exactly?

Anyways... So how long until GPS modal units are replaced? I'll be in Sydney in Feb 3-8th more or less, and I'm wonder what will be available. If it is possible to tell.

CanAndTAS