PDA

View Full Version : Garmin raster maps

fossicker2000
9th October 2009, 09:09 AM
Garmin have released a beta software so you can create your own custom maps.

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/10/creating-and-using-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

Nev
9th October 2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks

I have been playing with it for a couple of days.
1024 pixels x 1024 pixels x 100 images is a little bit useless for me. OK for a VERY local map (or two).

The Explorer
9th October 2009, 11:32 AM
Garmin have released a beta software so you can create your own custom maps.

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/10/creating-and-using-garmin-custom-maps-in-five-easy-steps.html

Where do you get the actual program? Buggered if I can find it..
Thanks
Greg

The Explorer
9th October 2009, 11:40 AM
Oh now I get it - its just a jpg image calibrated and saved as a kmz file using Google Earth (or any other program that creates kmz I assume). The kmz file is then loaded to gps.

Cheers
Greg

The Explorer
9th October 2009, 11:55 AM
Good stuff
I can now view proper raster maps (including air photos) on the Oregon. Yaahoo.

Cheers
Greg

fossicker2000
9th October 2009, 12:18 PM
I assume from the above image, that you found the beta update.(Version 3.22)

For others here's a link to The Oregon 300 version:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00697-01&cID=145&pID=14903

Use the beta download, not WebUpdater.

There are versions for other models. (Dakota etc.)

fossicker2000
9th October 2009, 12:26 PM
Just to reiterate, I wouldn't use the Oregon 300 version on any other model. (400, 550 etc).
Though it may work, there are specific versions for each model.

The Explorer
9th October 2009, 01:17 PM
Just to reiterate, I wouldn't use the Oregon 300 version on any other model. (400, 550 etc).

yep..go here

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

and select your model...then select SOFTWARE quick link on right hand side of screen.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
10th October 2009, 09:25 AM
What a great feature that is. Looks like it's worth a try.

It just worries me a little with Beta Software. Anyone run into any issues?

fossicker2000
10th October 2009, 10:15 AM
I've tried most of the previous beta's, after the Oregon Wiki has given the thumbs up.
Link:
http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

This feature will be in the next official release, so you could wait if unsure.

Art
28th October 2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but they are all exactly the same.

fossicker2000
28th October 2009, 10:14 PM
Except the 550 has a camera and a three axis compass, so it probably has a different version.

The Explorer
29th December 2009, 01:27 PM
Saves recalibrating existing maps (if you dont have globalmapper etc)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=130525

Cheers
Greg

Smouch
7th January 2010, 03:21 PM
I have been playing around with the new ability to load custom raster maps onto my Garmin Oregon and am very happy with the results... I have attached 3 images overlayed into Topo Australia V2

You can create custom raster maps for the Oregon, Dakota and Colorado which have the most up to date firmwares.

The process is a bit fiddly at the moment but I have found you can choose between using
Google Earth - http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps#fragment-1

Oziexplorer - http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=130525

or Global Mapper - http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=130392

Wahroonga Farm
7th January 2010, 04:01 PM
Nice demo and put to a good use. :)

The Explorer
7th January 2010, 05:33 PM
Yes for sure. I had a bit of a look but mustn't have been searching properlyNo worries - happens all the time.

While we're on the subject, best info Ive seen on making custom maps is summarised here

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
25th February 2010, 05:44 PM
This is another project I have not attempted as yet. These Garmin Units are great with so many options available. It's a never ending learning experience.

Finding this all a bit difficult to understand at this stage, But I came upon this site: http://mobac.dnsalias.org/
Gave this software a try tonight, I'm not sure if I understand this program and how to use it, But I have created a couple of kmz files. Not game to try them at this stage, till I know more. I'm scared I will damage my Oregon if it's not right.

binns1012
26th February 2010, 11:15 AM
Hi been doing some snooping around and found this on the GM forum great stuff which I am going to try this weekend

http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/announcement-news/4669-garmin-raster-maps.html

regards Tony

The Explorer
26th February 2010, 11:40 AM
Hi been doing some snooping around and found this on the GM forum great stuff which I am going to try this weekend

http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/announcement-news/4669-garmin-raster-maps.html

regards Tony

Yes - GlobalMapper was shown as an option for making customs maps in the link I provide three posts up. You can just export kmz using the normal export function (available in all the most recent versions of GlobalMapper) or if you have V 11.01 they have added a specific raster export function that works when you have a compatable Garmin GPS connected - works a treat (though I think you need the registered version). Dont get carried away loading large maps/airphotos though - keep them as small as possible. The GPS goes a bit slow with screen updates if they are too large.

Cheers
Greg

PS: Did those NZ maps turn up?

binns1012
26th February 2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Greg I have just bought an Oregon300 ex JA $340 in my hand and I am having a play at the moment great little machine. No signs of the disc yet I have not been for the mail yet so I will get back to you in a couple of hours, I am just going out to buy a sdhc micro 4gb for my new toy :>) .
regards Tony

Wahroonga Farm
26th February 2010, 11:54 AM
That'll soon ... be full. :)

binns1012
26th February 2010, 11:57 AM
I know but what is the largest size the oregon can use ?
regards Tony

The Explorer
26th February 2010, 12:05 PM
That'll soon ... be full. :)

..it has ~900mb internal as well...so you'll have to try hard to fill it. Even if you installed all the available free/not free Australian (land) mapsets you will still have space with 4GB card ie

City Nav
Oztopo
Garmin Topo
Shonky full
Contours (10m)

Comes to 3.4GB

OSM ?

There would be no need to load all of Australia in all cases. 4gb is plenty IMHO

Cheers
Greg

Wahroonga Farm
26th February 2010, 12:32 PM
Perhaps wot I should have said is, '4Gb is a good size ... 2Gb is toooo small.' :)

Smouch
1st March 2010, 04:15 PM
I use a far from full 16Gig card in my 550 but have marine charts installed and some raster as well. Europe Recreational looks nice perhaps in the future and its 3.something gigs just by itself.

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 01:57 PM
Can we use Images from the Nearmap satellite imagery? For example a screen capture?
I am heading of to Dreamworld at the Gold Coast, Would love to try out this Mapping feature on my Oregon 300.

How would you go about doing this?

From what I understand. I need a Jpeg image no larger than 1024 x 1024 pixels. or does it have to be 1024 x 1024?

I than transfer this photo over to Google Maps and create the image from there?

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 02:03 PM
Sorry Double posted

The Explorer
8th March 2010, 02:27 PM
Can we use Images from the Nearmap satellite imagery? For example a screen capture?
I am heading of to Dreamworld at the Gold Coast, Would love to try out this Mapping feature on my Oregon 300.

How would you go about doing this?

From what I understand. I need a Jpeg image no larger than 1024 x 1024 pixels. or does it have to be 1024 x 1024?

I than transfer this photo over to Google Maps and create the image from there?

Yes that will work - a raster image is a raster image whatever the source. I have used nearmap images for other purposes (TwoNav - Adventura)...via OziExplorer/GlobalMapper but havent use the GE method.

I can only assume if you follow these instructions you will be able to create a suitable image.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 02:30 PM
It's funny you should mention that link, I was only just now halfway through the steps.

I was not sure if we could use the Nearmaps or not.

Nearmaps has some very high Resolution photos of Dreamworld.

How's the best way to go about doing this?

What if I zoom in as close I can before the image starts degrading and than do a screen shot of that area and move on to the next section, Creating more than one image. Will this work. Does the images overlap them selves. so I can a smooth transfer from one image to the other on my Oregon.

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 03:18 PM
Didn't work, I must have done something wrong. The map will not showup on my Oregon

The Explorer
8th March 2010, 03:26 PM
Didn't work, I must have done something wrong. The map will not showup on my Oregon

Did you create a folder inside the Garmin folder called

CustomMaps

must be exactly same is this ..no gaps between words. The kmz file must be placed in here. Also does the map open in GE in the correct location? If so it should work.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 03:35 PM
Did you create a folder inside the Garmin folder called

CustomMaps

must be exactly same is this ..no gaps between words. The kmz file must be placed in here. Also does the map open in GE in the correct location? If so it should work.

Cheers
Greg

Yes to all the above. I have a folder created inside the Garmin folder on my SD card called "CustomMaps" and it show's up in the correct location in GE.

The Explorer
8th March 2010, 03:52 PM
Yes to all the above. I have a folder created inside the Garmin folder on my SD card called "CustomMaps" and it show's up in the correct location in GE.

....and you went into Setup and enabled the custon map?

I have attached a "test Map" that works on my unit - it is in Mandurah WA ( Zone 50, 383512 mE, 6403300 mN) - you have to zoom in to 120m for it to appear.
Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 04:14 PM
I don't know why it didn't work the first time. But I did it again exactly the same, except for zooming out a bit more in Nearmap and saved a larger image.

It works now. Thanks for the help.

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 05:12 PM
It's a bit tricky to get the tiles to line up. I spent the best part of half hour just trying to line up the image in Google Earth to find that there off a tad on my Oregon. I need about 5 or so images to cover Dreamworld.

How do you's overcome this? is there some special magic software or feature that does this?

The Explorer
8th March 2010, 05:55 PM
It's a bit tricky to get the tiles to line up. I spent the best part of half hour just trying to line up the image in Google Earth to find that there off a tad on my Oregon. I need about 5 or so images to cover Dreamworld.

How do you's overcome this? is there some special magic software or feature that does this?

Prior to calibrating I stitch screen captures together using PhotoImpact - it has an auto function that works most of the time - just have a bit of overlap and line them up close as you can and the software lines up pixel perfect.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
8th March 2010, 06:49 PM
Prior to calibrating I stitch screen captures together using PhotoImpact - it has an auto function that works most of the time - just have a bit of overlap and line them up close as you can and the software lines up pixel perfect.

Cheers
Greg

That's a good idea, But is the file size limit 1024 x 1024 pixels for each image? You don't find your loosing any quality?

The Explorer
8th March 2010, 07:08 PM
That's a good idea, But is the file size limit 1024 x 1024 pixels for each image? You don't find your loosing any quality?

Sorry, as mentioned I use GlobalMapper. It has a function specifically for Garmin custom maps and splits the calibrated image up into the required tiles, so no need to do each one individually. No loss of quality - though there are settings to adjust image quality to reduce file size if you so wish.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
9th March 2010, 06:31 AM
Any chance of a tutorial on using Global Mapper for Garmin Raster Images?

binns1012
9th March 2010, 11:35 AM
HI Greg I have the latest firmware on my Oregon (3.60 ) and I have GM 11.01 and I have tried every tutorial I can find on this subject and I cannot see the converted maps on my device . I can see the files KMZ in the folder and card but they will not show on the Device this is driving me nuts , and yes they are in the correct folder i.e. Garmin /CustomMaps so any help welcome here . I am attaching the image file that I would like and also the Ozi map file for it to see if anyone can make head or tail of it .
regards Tony

Smouch
9th March 2010, 03:22 PM
Ill have a go.....

I first changed the name of the .jpg to Parawirra.jpg and the .map.txt to parawirra.map as referenced in the map file. Exported as KMZ and found that the calibration appears out......I did no calibration myself. The map only became visible at 2km zoom.

binns1012
9th March 2010, 05:20 PM
HI Smouch thanks for your efforts , funny that it would be out as it works fine in Ozi with that image and map file . I think that the Garmin raster thing seems to be a dead loss thanks anyhow for trying I have also tried other maps using Global Mapper and the results are that it produces a kmz file and exports it to the device but it does not show up on the device
regards Tony

Smouch
9th March 2010, 06:42 PM
Hay now.... dont get discouraged....I have had no problems at all and have calibrated rasters with both OziExplorer and Global mapper. I think its a great feature when you want a specific detailed area. I could not adjust calibration as the sample chart was of poor resolution. If you have a more detailed version of that chart that you want converted to Garmin KMZ I would he happy to provide. I agree that the accuracy of the Google maps method is a bit hit and miss.

I have attached a sample map that I cut out of an .ECW chart with GM that is calibrated correctly... walking trails are not shown. It becomes visible at 12km

The Explorer
10th March 2010, 07:08 AM
Any chance of a tutorial on using Global Mapper for Garmin Raster Images?

Wouldnt be much of a tutorial - connect gps tp PC, drag and drop calibrated image file into GlobalMapper, select GPS - Send Raster to Maps to Connected Garmin Device, save file to Garmin/CustomMaps folder on gps/sd card. Job done.

Gets a bit more complicated if you have to calibrate an image in the first place. I always use OziExplorer do do this as thats what Im familar with.

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
10th March 2010, 07:34 AM
Thanks, The first part I am confused at. Calibrating an image.

What I done so far was taken some screen captures from Nearmap and opened them in Global Mapper. I have about 6 images from the Nearmaps. I loaded them all into Global Mapper, I can't see how you join these together. and they don't have the co ordinates in them. Maybe it will not work with Nearmaps?

The Explorer
10th March 2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks, The first part I am confused at. Calibrating an image.

What I done so far was taken some screen captures from Nearmap and opened them in Global Mapper. I have about 6 images from the Nearmaps. I loaded them all into Global Mapper, I can't see how you join these together. and they don't have the co ordinates in them. Maybe it will not work with Nearmaps?

As I mentioned before a raster image is a raster image so the fact that they have come from NearMap is irrelevant (unless they were some unknown projection - which they are not).

I am not 100% up to speed on calibrating a map in GlobaMapper..maybe someone else can help, but I suspect the first thing you will need to do is calibrate each indvidual tile (either in GM or somewhere else)...then when you load them they will position/mosaic correctly and you can send to GPS.

There is also he help file....

http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv11/Help_Main.html

Cheers
Greg

phillipsart
10th March 2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the link. I will read up.

Just spent an hour trying to load in some images to my Oregon to find there not working now. I can't see them. Other's that I done yesterday worked, but none from this morning are working, Done everything exactly the same as I done yesterday. Was going to put the images on the Oregon into practise after lunch, There's a new trail opened up not long ago by the Parks and Wildlife Service along the coast, was going to throw the mountain bike into the back of the 4WD and go check out the tracks.

Looks like it's a bit of a hit and miss with these custom maps.

Update, Actually just realised now that some of the images I created yesterday are also not showing up. Even though there in the "CustomMaps" folder on my Oregon. I can see 15 maps in that folder, Of those 15 only 4 are displaying on the Oregon.

phillipsart
10th March 2010, 08:55 AM
I checked to see what difference there is with the images that work and the images that don't.

I found a difference in file size. The ones that don't work are only about 4kb in size. the ones that work are about 1 mb in size, Obviously something going on in Google Earth when I saved them. Problem is I had already deleted nearly all custom maps I created in Google Earth. Going to have to start all over again. At this stage I'm going to leave it, as I am feeling a bit frustrated. Going to work of this frustration on the MTB shortly.

binns1012
10th March 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Phil I have the same problem , mine all show up in the folder and are kmz files but the size is small and they dont show on the device let me know when you find out what is happening . I have GM and have done what Greg suggested and it is still the same result smll kmz files that dont show on device.
regards Tony

phillipsart
10th March 2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Phil I have the same problem , mine all show up in the folder and are kmz files but the size is small and they dont show on the device let me know when you find out what is happening . I have GM and have done what Greg suggested and it is still the same result smll kmz files that dont show on device.
regards Tony

Hi Tony.

I cleaned out the Cache of my Mac. Restarted Google Earth and now it works.

Didn't go riding. It started to rain just as I was leaving, so I decided to see if I can sort this out.

I read through those tutorial's on the Global Mapper. Looks like I need to Georeference the images to use in Global Mapper. Problem is, where to get those from of any accuracy. I am over 400km away from the area I am getting the Images from.

Smouch
10th March 2010, 03:14 PM
But how come you cant hover the mouse over 4 to 6 prominent features in google. write the lats and longs down and then calibrate in GM'r ? Is the specific problem the...calibration method or the.... tiling of multiple screen shots?

phillipsart
10th March 2010, 03:19 PM
I was under the impression that Google maps are not very accurate with there GPS Plots. I read this somewhere, Not sure where. Is this not true.

I have not got as far as tiling the multiple images. Still stuck on the first part with the Georeferencing

binns1012
10th March 2010, 03:56 PM
Hi here is a map image file and a map file that works good in Ozi
would anyone like to try an d convert to a raster map for Garmin
I have tried with GM but cant get it to work :hot: :hot:
regards Tony

Smouch
10th March 2010, 04:03 PM
Its pretty much spot on most of the time. I use it sometimes geocaching to see if the hide is under this specific tree or that tree or at this end of the wall or that end of the wall. I would just compare the co-ords of a known thing near your map to the co-ords that google or nearmap is displaying as a rough guide to "potential accuracy"

Ill have a go Binns..... Should really be doing my certIV workbooks but Ill post back.

Smouch
10th March 2010, 07:08 PM
Here you go... Took me a while trying to read street names. calibrated with GMr

binns1012
10th March 2010, 07:54 PM
Hi Smouch thanks for your efforts could you please give me a detailed account of how you did the conversion . BTW it still will not show up on my Oregon 300 I put the file on the storage card via drag and drop but it does not show up in the map list
regards Tony

Smouch
10th March 2010, 08:14 PM
Ah thats Odd. It only becomes Visible at 8km on mine. What other maps do you have in that area GarminTopo? Shonky?

hmmm well
1. The .map file was not correct for GMr again
2. deleted .map file
3. opened parawirra.jpg straight in GMr without calibration
4. Manually calibrated points on the JPG using street intersections looked up on my Oregon in GarminTopo... first changing the position units to hDD.dddddd.
5. Loaded another map... ECW of the area with 50% transparency to check basic calibration. found a problem....adjusted the faulty point skewing the map....
saved the .gcp calibration file.
6. Deselected the ECW and exported the parawerra.jpg as .KMZ file. I didnt use the send raster to garmin way.
7. Copied the parawerra.kmz to my Oregon cards \Garmin\CustomMaps directory and checked it was enabled.

See it worked on mine....

I included the original .jpg and the .gcp in the.zip if you want to try exporting directly?

binns1012
11th March 2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Smouch thanks for the info , I have the open mountain bike map which is really great in my neck of the woods and contours 2 over the top of it .
regards Tony

Nicko
11th March 2010, 01:23 PM
I am looking for someone to do a write up on "how to create a map for a Garmin Oregon/Colorado/Dakota" like the ones created here for our new magazine. It needs to be approximately 200 to 300 words long with small images, basically to cover a full A4 size page.

If approved I will give you a TwoNav Sportiva.

PM your interest

Smouch
11th March 2010, 06:37 PM
I have neither the open mountain bike map or contours 2.....I will try and install and see If it affects mine......Have you tried turning off these and just using the base map? Have you tried out the .jpg and .gcp in GMr at all?

Also I noted that I made an error in my description that the .KMZ must be saved to \Garmin\CustomMaps not just the \Garmin as per the reguler .img files

binns1012
11th March 2010, 07:32 PM
Hi Smouch yes I have tried what you suggested and yes I realized that you meant put them in the CustomMap folder I might try and persist with it for a little longer and even try to do a Nearmap calibration , I see that the Nearmap has an update
16th Feb 2010
regards Tony

Smouch
19th March 2010, 09:20 AM
Additionally you are currently limited to a maximum of 100 .jpg tiles in all KMZ files. I think you may have too many installed. There is only 1 in the parawirra KMZ that I made, but one of my others (13Meg file)had 66. You can check by opening the KMZ with an archiving application such as winzip or winrar. Hopefully Garmin will allow more in the future.

The Garmin developer forum for custom map's can be found here...

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

To easily double check the calibration, open the KMZ with google earth (double click) and see that the earth zooms to and the map is overlayed in the correct position

phillipsart
12th April 2010, 09:56 AM
Went for a drive out to the ranges last Saturday. I scanned some paper maps of mine into Jpeg image's and using the Image Overlay feature in Google Earth I created the *.kml files required for my Oregon.

First tried the Open Street Maps with Custom Maps, which was not very successful. My Oregon really struggled to display the custom maps, took ages for the maps to open and the refresh rate could not keep up with my driving.

Was about to disable the custom maps, when I thought I'll give them a try with Garmin Topo maps. Just as well I did.
The custom maps opened a lot quicker and the refresh rate kept up with my driving.

Custom maps would not show up in Auto mode, I could only get them to work in Track Up mode in the settings of my Oregon, did not try North Up mode. It was still struggling at times to keep up and the draw rate for the custom maps was slow at times, but much better than with the OSM maps.

Can't wait for the twonav to turn up in the post, I have some very old paper maps here back when I was a kid going 4wding with my dad and brother. Never thrown away any maps, kept every map I purchased, some belong to my dad going back a very long time, most are of no use now because the landscape here has changed so much since those days, but some are of area's that are not very well covered with any of the new maps today, that I like to frequent.

Redtail
12th April 2010, 11:44 AM
If you're in WA, have a look at the raster map series from The Explorer. Raster 25k and Raster 50k, etc. They're "oldish" maps scanned and already calibrated for Ozi.
Nicko has them in his online shop.

I like them for the historical detail they hold.

The Explorer
29th May 2010, 06:19 PM
This may have been mentioned before but here is a(nother) program that allows conversion of existing raster images into a KZM format for use as Garmin "custom" map.

http://moagu.com/?page_id=155

Cheers
Greg