PDA

View Full Version : On-Off-Reset Switch MY55T

Papou
17th January 2010, 07:53 AM
Here's one for the MY Series owners, at least with my MY55T GPS that is..When i turn off the unit in the off position it asks "Sleep " or "Lock" and having either function to fint out thaayt ten hours later the battery is FLAT!!???..
Rang the support line for Navman who i have to say have been quite helpfull inform me that whilst the unit is switch off in either of these two modes and you have a route programmed into the unit , the unit keeps working even after its switch off so the answer is to turn the unit off to the reset mode!!??..
Yes!! this did fix the problem of flattening the battery but still scratching :confused the ole noggin as to why??..Thoughts are that off is off and reset is reset!!??..
Anyway for those that purchase a MY Series GPS and come across this problemo here's your answer..
Cheers

Nicko
17th January 2010, 01:52 PM
Thank you Papou for helping the forum. I agree with you, it seems to be a firmware issue, something you hope they will provide a fix for.

bluey66
23rd June 2010, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, I just purchased a MY55T and was confused with the sleep function too. I rang support and apparently there is no "automatic" turn off when an external power source is disconnected. My old S50 was great in this mode as I never swithced it off, it would automatically turn off after 3 minutes of turning the key off. This is ridiculous, as this was a key feature I thought all Navmans had, now I have just wasted $300 on a unit that I have to manually switch off all the time..............frustrated !!

rhjames
3rd February 2012, 11:30 AM
This had me confused with a flat battery. The last thing I would do is put it on "Reset" for fear of losing everything. Now, I'll think of Reset as "off", off as "options", and on as "on". I can't help wondering, for all the brain power that goes into developing these, why can't they get something as simple as this right.

Navman Support
8th February 2012, 10:31 AM
Hi all, I represent Navman and I think I can help clarify this issue.

If you switch it to ‘Off’ you get Lock which turns the screen off but will still provide you instructions if you are on a trip (like power save mode). The Sleep option turns the unit off. You will however still have a negative drain of charge from the battery that will happen. It is at the same speed as setting the unit to ‘RESET’.

Reset will reset the unit’s software. It will not remove the settings or favourites.

I hope this is of help.
Regards,
Navman Support

rhjames
8th February 2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks - that clarifies it. I couldn't find this in the instructions, although it is important information. So, as I understand it, there's no way to turn it off, so the battery won't go flat. Is this right? This would be a significant nuisance, as I like to avoid using the power cord because it gets in the way of the gear stick, so I rely on it staying fully charged between trips.

Michael
8th February 2012, 04:19 PM
So, as I understand it, there's no way to turn it off, so the battery won't go flat. Is this right? This would be a significant nuisance,
Totally Stupid!! What genius designed this? Sounds like a polititian. :hysterica

rhjames
8th February 2012, 07:00 PM
I wonder if a firmware change could fix this. I'd like to hear the logic behind this concept. Hopefull Navman support can do something about this. I should notify the reviewers about this.

Navman Support
9th February 2012, 02:17 PM
The unit when fully charged can remain switched off for approximately 2 days before the battery is drained completely.

The negative discharge is common on lithium ion batteries and devices that use this type of battery.

Regards,
Navman Support

Michael
9th February 2012, 04:11 PM
The negative discharge is common on lithium ion batteries and devices that use this type of battery. Really!!!
I have a Lithium ion battery in my Olympus DSLR camera, when it is switched off the battery lasts for weeks & is OK next time I switch it on.
They are removable & I carry a spare in the camera bag, which also holds charge for weeks.
In the middle of a day/s out using the camera, if one goes flat it is easy to change over. The next battery will last 3 or 4 days if taking 300 - 400 photos a day, or longer if only a few photos.
Still sounds like a BIG fault in the design of your product.

Avtrician
9th February 2012, 06:11 PM
negative discharge

After 40 yrs in the Avionics trade, this is the first time I have heard this term. What does it mean, Charging maybe????

My Garmin when it turns itself off, or is turned off by the button holds its charge for months. These symptoms of draining batteries in a day or so seems to indicate a form of standby not off

mihermano
9th February 2012, 08:00 PM
Charging yes must be ... :)

Hi Navman Support, thanks for your interest. The most basic settings of ON and OFF shouldn't be need to be explained.
Maybe your "Navman Support" representative status can influence future model and/or firmware development, and fix this problem. Eh?
:)

rhjames
9th February 2012, 08:13 PM
Michael - I agree. I want to turn it off with a full charge, and know that a couple of weeks later, it's ready to go with close to a full charge. Just like my old Navman F20 did. This holding charge for 2 days isn't acceptable. We put men on the moon 40 years ago - surely they can fix something this simple.

Navman Support
10th February 2012, 11:58 AM
Hi all, thank you for your comments on this subject.

The battery usage of our products is different to that of a camera. Cameras are portable products and are designed for constant use on-the-go. Navman GPS are designed for in-car usage and to receive regular power input from a car adaptor. The GPS will also be more active than a camera as it is constantly searching for and receiving satellite data.

We thank you all for your comments and we appreciate your feedback. I will pass this onto our product management team for consideration.

Regards,
Navman Support

Avtrician
10th February 2012, 02:15 PM
Most in car GPS units like the Navman, TomTom, Garmin Nuvi are designed to run of the cars power in normal use. the TomTom and Garmin have about 2 Hrs use on battery alone. How ever when car power is removed and they power down, battery power is turned off so as not to drain the battery. The Garmins will last months if they arent turned on.

To my mind, a GPS that has been put on the shelf for a week or so, and wont power up so you can plan a trip while in the comfort of your armchair as the battery has gone dead, is not much use .

Steve12
10th March 2012, 05:05 PM
I have an MY80T after previously owning an S50 and like the MY55T was very disappointed at the manual turn off and turn on. If I had know that I would not have bought the new unit but might have just updated the maps on the S50.

In my car the windscreen is quite a distance from the driver, so it is difficult to turn the unit off and on.

I used a Garmin in a hire care the other day - and it turned off and on automatically - so others can still do it.

I also use a TomTom - and while it does not turn on automatically, it turns off... but goes into a sleep state so it is still draining power. Come back after not using the car for 5 days and it needs to be charged for 20 minutes before it will even turn on.

Come on Navman, this is pretty simple. You could do it before... why can't you do it now?

bluey66
8th November 2012, 04:30 PM
Dear Mr "Navman Support"....... This feature of NOT automatically turning off when the car is turned off is ridiculous. My S50 as I mectioned earlier was great in this respect. Sleep mode is a waste when it drains the battery. Surely you can provide some firmware update in the next map release. If not, this thing is going in the bin and Im going to Garmin or Tom Tom. Hmmmm the calender says 2012...................

rhjames
18th June 2016, 01:57 PM
Hi all, I represent Navman and I think I can help clarify this issue.

If you switch it to ‘Off’ you get Lock which turns the screen off but will still provide you instructions if you are on a trip (like power save mode). The Sleep option turns the unit off. You will however still have a negative drain of charge from the battery that will happen. It is at the same speed as setting the unit to ‘RESET’.

Reset will reset the unit’s software. It will not remove the settings or favourites.

I hope this is of help.
Regards,
Navman Support

I went through this a couple of years ago - flat battery, and finally figured out that RESET means "off", and OFF means "still on". What peanut designed this? Some new kid out of school with no idea of the real world? While my Navman is excellent, I won't buy another if this isn't fixed.