PDA

View Full Version : How to open Navman S45

aussiebob
10th February 2010, 11:09 AM
Maybe this info is already on the site but I have not been able to find it.
I am considering replacing the battery in my S45 and the first step is to gain access to the internal works.
There are 4 screws on the base plate but I suspect that there are some more hidden ones.
Can some one help me out in this?
Are there any hints for replacing the battery that I should be aware of?
Regards,
Bob

Calvin09
7th April 2010, 03:40 PM
Maybe this info is already on the site but I have not been able to find it.
I am considering replacing the battery in my S45 and the first step is to gain access to the internal works.
There are 4 screws on the base plate but I suspect that there are some more hidden ones.
Can some one help me out in this?
Are there any hints for replacing the battery that I should be aware of?
Regards,
Bob

My google search didnt turn out much this is as helpful as it turns up - so I decided to write one for future reference/users looking for this info.

First part shows you how to open the S45- the rest shows you how to repack your battery. I cant justify paying $40 for something thats worth no more then $10 to me.

http://www.tygarbyte.com/Navman%20S45%20Battery%20Repack.php

aussiebob
7th April 2010, 05:19 PM
Calvin, what a great article. Like you, I was not able to find anything to guide me so, like you, I just undid those screws on the base, hoped that there were not any others hidden away somewhere, and then very gently prised the case apart. Your advice to gp slowly and carefully is very important. I used a pair of small jewelers screw drivers, keeping in mind that I had to be extremely careful not to allow them to poke inside and short something. Quite dangerous, I know, but I could not find anything else that was suitable. Exactly what did you use? Your info about the tape holding things in place is important because if you just try to open it up after it has been prised apart, I expect that all sorts of damage would follow.
I was lucky to find "The Battery Doctor". He has all sorts of batteries for all sorts of gizmos, including a direct replacement for the original in the S45. This meant that all I had to do was to remove the old and replace it with the new one, but being very careful with the tape that was holding the various parts in place (battery and speaker cables).
The "remove and replace" was the easy part for me. To unclip the case was the worrying step because I was not sure that there was not a hidden screw/clip/catch that I might break. But now that I have done it once, I would not have any trouble in the future. Anyone reading your instructions should also be successful, as long as they go slowly and gently!!
But by obtaining a directly compatible battery certainly made it easy for me. And at $39 (AU) including postage, the price is certainly not a problem.
I have given the link to the battery that I bought from Mr Battery to assist others. And, even though the S45 is not listed on the site, similar to most other sites, the S45 is the same or similar in many respects to the S30/50 etc.
Since I have installed the new battery, I am now able, if necessary, to get between 3 and 4 hours out of the unit whereas before that I was getting less than 10 minutes. And that has been since the S45 was less than 1 year old. Yes, it might have been covered by the warranty but with Navman, one has to always weigh up whether the hassle of trying to obtain service is worth the trouble. I am not sure that I could even find a contact point for Navman service in Sydney. And just how long would it take to get anything done?
Once again, thanks for the effort that has gone into your post. I think that many will get a lot out of it.
Regards,
Bob

http://www.batterydoctor.com.au/store/view_product.php?product=GPSB-BP-LP850

Calvin09
7th April 2010, 08:44 PM
In the tools pic, you see some blue triangle pick ( similar to that of a Guitar Pick) and the well as blue handle with a chisel type tip. Made of hard plastic - These wont scratch or cut anything and is mainly used to open Mobile phones.

aussiebob
7th April 2010, 08:50 PM
Yes, I saw the "tools" but have not come across them before. Where can you get them and do they have a specific name?
Bob

Calvin09
8th April 2010, 11:07 AM
On Ebay - search "IPhone Tools" or "phone opening tools" pay no more then $5 delivered