PDA

View Full Version : Mapsend Lite?????

arthurking83
24th May 2006, 11:37 PM
I'm curious, as to what software, an new Explorist owners gets in the box?

I've heard of something called conversion manager (or something to that effect!)

Did you get any software, especially something called Mapsend Lite?
Mapsend Lite manages geocache data, amongst other things, but shows a very basic(inaccurate!) map of Aus.

This WAS(??) available as a free download on the Magellan site, but they removed it? (dunno why??)

I've seen two requests for some kind of Magellan GPSr data managing software.....

Question is why did Magellan remove the software from their site?
....more importantly why doesn't Next Destination provide it for download, to the many people that purchased (what now seems way overpriced) DAST topo?

I suggest DAST topo owners contact NextDestination and enquire as to what software they propose we DAST topo owners are to use......or can we get our money back as we have yet to recieve the "PC software" that they advertised will be available soon....?

:mad:

Tank47
25th May 2006, 06:42 PM
Hi AK83,
I have an Explorist 500, I got 2 programs on the CD; "Magellan Geocache Manager" which allows me to import .loc files and massage them and send to the GPS, and "Magellan Conversion Manager" which has to be used between Mapsend and the GPS, this much I have deciphered from the reference manual.
The topo maps come on a preloaded SD card or CD and blank SD card when the GPS Traveller Value pack is purchased.
The reference manual mentions Mapsend as a purchased product.

arthurking83
25th May 2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks Tank,

I was just curious as to what software comes with the explorist.

(still thinking about getting an XL???? :confused: )

Sounds like Geocache Manager is a stand alone program!

Reading the explorist Yahoo group, it looks like the Yanks, get a version of Mapsend that they have to "register online" to get a fully functional version or something...and that it's on DVD!

:)

bluezooky
25th May 2006, 09:01 PM
The Conversion Manager come with the GPS CD,if you install the Mapsend Manager from the Magellan site it picks up all your installed programs and it should run automatically if need be or it might has its own conversion manager built in? Magellan donít like to tell you stuff you need to be psychic and just know.

Mapsend Lite cab from the Yahoo group, doesnít recognize the DAST topo imi file as being valid?

Iím very dissatisfied with Next Destination, the only thing stopping going for a refund is the excellent service from GPSOZ over the years. Magellan must be hiding out they always appear at the Rose Hill or Darling Harbour shows but bit not this year .

Charlie

Sarg
25th May 2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Arthur
Explorist XL Traveller Value Pack come with DAST on SD card, Magellan eXplorist XL Installation Wizard, & MapSend Software.
Magellan Geo cache Manager : next to useless to me as I am not into this, but will look into the program to see if I can use it for other purposes.
MapSend Manager (MapSend Lite):Played around with it a bit & seemed to get it & the GPS to "talk" to each other. (More than I can say for OziEx at the moment, but will go into that later.) Very basic from what I've seen so far. Seems more USA/Europe based.
Magellan Conversion Manager : Yeah well, what the hell is this supposed to do? It will not recognise the GPS so can't comment on it.
So, in conclusion, DAST is teriffic, the USB/12V Power cable works, the Universal Vehicle mounting bracket is OK if you bend the $hit out of it to fit my two vehicles, & the XL itself is brilliant.
I think the package is a bit overpriced for what you get, especially when I added Ozi Ex & Natmap Raster Premium, but at least I now know where I've been or want to go.

arthurking83
25th May 2006, 11:12 PM
Mapsend Manager, is different to Mapsend Lite.

I downloaded both some time back, and Mapsend Manager only "makes it easier" to manage GPS data.

Mapsend Lite is very similar to the actual mapping programs (Mapsend, DAST, etc)

There is NO, ZERO, NADA!! :D mapping detail in Mapsend Lite, only a very vague outline of each country, and maybe some major/capital city "dots".

It will show your tracks on a "map" though.

So, for the guys with Mapsend Manager and DAST topo (SD card, not DAST v1 on PC) you guys are still left without any form of mapping software for the PC?

:confused:

Dooghan
26th May 2006, 07:26 AM
I just got a question to ask? From what I am reading you guys have separate programs to do different things instead of just the one? No PC software for DAST Topo? That is really poor work from Magellan. It sound like they really need to come up with the one piece of software like Garmin. Mapsource can be used with all Garmin GPS and is the same program they use in all there mapping software. If you want to upload or download waypoints, routes, tracks or maps then Mapsource will do it for you. So if you look at City Nav, Metro and Trips and Waypoint Manager they all use the same program (Mapsource) but come with different maps. Now why doesn't Magellan do something like that?

helterskelter400
26th May 2006, 08:37 AM
Now why doesn't Magellan do something like that?

because they are gay.

magellan are lucky DAST is so detailed and as yet isnt out pointed by a garmin version because the DAST detail was one of the main reasons i and many others went magellan (admitiddly some time ago).

as a company, i'd think you would be on shaky ground trying to manitain any sales benifit by relying on optional (but mostly necessary) software. do magellan realise this? couple this with the emerging dissatisfaction with the dast topo vis non CD/PC release....

theres a prime oppo for garmin to step up by getting some top qual off road mapping and usurping magellan.

thats my 2c, based mostly on rumour, innuendo and reading all the true stuff on the net. haha

bluezooky
26th May 2006, 05:09 PM
It must be costing them sales because I put off buying an Explorist and DAST topo for six waiting for the promised CD, eventually I purchased one but over six months later there will never be a CD and still not even a viewer.
Iíve owned three Magellan GPSís there will need to be one hell of a turn around in customer service to sell me a fourth.

RR5L
30th August 2006, 08:10 AM
Mapsend Manager, is different to Mapsend Lite.

I downloaded both some time back, and Mapsend Manager only "makes it easier" to manage GPS data.

Mapsend Lite is very similar to the actual mapping programs (Mapsend, DAST, etc)

There is NO, ZERO, NADA!! :D mapping detail in Mapsend Lite, only a very vague outline of each country, and maybe some major/capital city "dots".

It will show your tracks on a "map" though.

So, for the guys with Mapsend Manager and DAST topo (SD card, not DAST v1 on PC) you guys are still left without any form of mapping software for the PC?

:confused:

Ive just brought an XL and come to the same point where all I can see in mapsend lite is a vauge outline of Australia, whilst I have loaded the imi files from the sd card across to the PC how do I get them to display in mapsend lite?

Or is this a limitation in the "lite" version?

arthurking83
30th August 2006, 10:35 AM
Ive just brought an XL and come to the same point where all I can see in mapsend lite is a vauge outline of Australia, whilst I have loaded the imi files from the sd card across to the PC how do I get them to display in mapsend lite?

Did you use the "Map Manager" tool in MSLite?

My understanding is that if you have the DAST topo maps on the GPS (on the SD card!!) then the Map Manager tool will ask to verify the maps via the GPS serial number.
I'm not sure how it will work if you just copy the maps onto the PC, but MSLite should ask to authenticate the maps via the GPS.

I've almost done this with the Meridian but of course, MSLite won't allow authentication using the Meridian, only an explorist! :sad-smile

I got DAST v1 on the PC maps working OK :)

NextDestination are currently looking into this .......

The Explorer
30th August 2006, 12:58 PM

It is now neccessry to state if you are using mapsend Lite V1 or V2 . V1 comes with very basic map outlines with no possibility of adding map data. V2 allows you to use background ("baseamaps") from GPS or maps from dast topo (via SD card), DAST and older Mapsend maps (if installed on PCf) as a detailed map.

So are you trying to use V1 or V2?

Cheers
Greg

RR5L
30th August 2006, 01:49 PM
ok, with the clue from Greg, of version 1 or 2 I went and checked and sure enough when I installed the cd it overwrote the mapsend v2 beta I installed a few days ago with V1. I have now reinstalled the V2.00e beta build 1303 and when sellecting the appropiate ini file it tells me map initialisation is required.....great.

Unit is conected turned on and set to file transfer mode......click ok...and nothing dialog box just stays open....getting closer though I can feel it :confused-

Rob

RR5L
30th August 2006, 02:17 PM
Ok, changing the memory from the SD card to internal memory allowed it to read the maps. Now I have detailed maps on the PC.

Thanks

Rob