PDA

View Full Version : map conversion

treadlightly
27th March 2010, 06:19 PM
Would appreciate a bit of help...have used the search engine and just got more confused. Obviously I'm not exactly computer savy.
I downloaded the free version of compegps....i'll be getting a twonav gps unit...what I am wanting to do is download geological maps from dept of mines and petroleum in WA...load them into compegps and play with them and then magically upload them into the gps and drive around the bush following sqiggly lines.

ok....The files I download from the mines dept are zip files .mpv that contain .shp (shape) files.....i think. Now I can't seem to import them to compegps....it does say that "vector map edit module 6" needs to be bought. Is it simply a case of needing to buy the full version?

I'm just trying to play around on the laptop before I get the gps to throw more confusion into the equation. Would aapreciate a shove in the right direction
thanks

The Explorer
27th March 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi
You will need to download the PDF versions (from the GSWA publications section), then convert from pdf (using some other software eg photoshop) to a suitable raster format for compegps land (tiff, jpg ect) and then calibrate. You are currently trying to import the vector format data which is for use with GIS software. You can import raw vector data but result will not be as good as raster format.

I have made available the 100K geology maps for use with OziExplorer (ozf3 format)....may be about time to provide ecw format as well by the looks.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
27th March 2010, 11:39 PM
I am not sure why he has to use anything other than the .shp file to do what he wants to do Explorer, assuming he acquires a full version of CompeGPS Land? The files are are or should be suitable for "easy" conversion.

The Explorer
28th March 2010, 09:44 AM
I am not sure why he has to use anything other than the .shp file to do what he wants to do Explorer, assuming he acquires a full version of CompeGPS Land? The files are are or should be suitable for "easy" conversion.

Hi - as I said "You can import raw vector data but result will not be as good as raster format." Feel free to head down that path if you wish. To get a similar result to the readymade PDFs will require considerable effort.

Itís a bit more complicated than just importing the shape files. For starters you will need to assign a different colour to each of the various geological units (which will appear as polygons). On the geology map I posted above there are about 48 different geological units (so you will need 48 different colours). You will then have to assign different colours/line types for the various linear features (faults, shears etc). There are about 20 or 30 different types of linear features (including roads and tracks) that could appear on a geology map.
Once you finished doing that you can start on the point features (mine shafts, wells etc) Ö.again about 30 different possibilities here. Then to finish off your map you can label everything - making sure they are positioned correctly and donít overlap etc. Once you done that map you can start on the next one - there are only ~200 100K geology maps available for WA so you should have them all finished by about Christmas 2012.

Yep its "easy" :hysterica ..though maybe you (or someone else) knows something I donít. I havenít dabbled that much into importing shapefiles into compegps so maybe Ive missed something. I import/export shape files with OziExplorer all the time but only simple boundaries and points ...not complicated geology maps. While Compegps Land has a greater facility to deal with vector data the result for effort (in this case) makes it a waste of time and in fact I dont even know if a suitable result could be achieved even if you had all the time in the world. If it were possible all you would end up with was a map that looks something like the PDF file you can download in a few minutes anyway.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
28th March 2010, 09:49 AM
I have an idea, but you will have to wait 6 months, that being utilising both raster and vector.

Treadly
28th March 2010, 12:45 PM
Using Google Earth you can transfer JPG maps straight into a GPS like the Garmin 550 (and probably other models as well), it might be much easier and cheaper just to buy a Garmin GPS.

The Explorer
28th March 2010, 01:10 PM
Using Google Earth you can transfer JPG maps straight into a GPS like the Garmin 550 (and probably other models as well), it might be much easier and cheaper just to buy a Garmin GPS.

?
Process of converting a PDF to jpg/tiff etc for calibrating in Compegps Land, OziExplorer, GlobalMapper or Google Earth is almost identical - you could possibly argue one method may be "easier" than another but it would probably depend on what you are familar with e.g I can very accurately calibrate a 100K geology map in OziExplorer in less than 1 minute..not sure how any other way could be "easier" and have therfore never bothered to use any other method.

Raster image support for Garmin handhelds is in its infancy and has significant limitations compared to using Aventura or PDA (using OziExplorerCe/TwoNav etc). Garmin handhelds (eg Oregon 550 and others) also have different specifications to the Aventura (unit behind the discussion here) - they may well be cheaper but if you want larger screen, long battery life, ability to use raster images with virtually no limitations (among other things) then you probably wouldnt choose an Oregon.

Ive got an Oregon and would not bother using it for the purpose I put my Aventura to. It jams up/goes slow if you load anything but relativley small maps/air photos compared to what I have on Aventura. Oregon is very good for its main intended purpose - but that aint displaying raster maps.

Cheers
Greg

Smouch
29th March 2010, 09:52 PM
True true Explorer..... within Garmin Oregon you are limited to 100 .jpg tiles TOTAL for all custom raster maps. At a good resolution a .pdf conversion could use 40+ tiles and with no on-board way to move KMZ's from in and out of the custom directory its barely worth considering at this stage unless a super special spot map is required.

This raster of Norfolk island (not that large an area) required 24 tiles and that was after adjusting resolution down from 54 tiles.

Nicko
29th March 2010, 10:37 PM
Try not to detract from the original post with Garmin info, stick to the TwoNav please.

Smouch
29th March 2010, 10:43 PM
No worries...... Think he's on a new one now
http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15209