PDA

View Full Version : 1st 4WD Trip

Dangerousdan
11th June 2006, 08:11 AM
Hey all, I had planned to go for my 1st proper 4wd trip today, but the weather turned sour so decided against it. :(

But it does present me with the chance to organise something even better for next weekend.

So my question is: Where abouts in the Geelong region (1.5 hours in any direction) would you suggest to go for a novice 4wd'er. Something with some nice tracks, nothing to serious, but more than just a gravel road. Some nice scenery, good wildlife etc...

There will be two 4wd's going. Mine, a 2002 Nissan Navara 3.0ltr TD Cab/Chassis and my mates 1988 toyota landcruiser (think it's a 4.0ltr petrol/gas) So nothing out of the limits of these to vehicals would be good aswell. They are both pretty good in the 4wd department I think, but having never taken either of them on a true 4wd trip I just want to take it slightly easy till we figure out just how good they actually are.

Cheers guys, and thanks for any ideas you can give me! :)

Dangerousdan
11th June 2006, 08:13 AM
Oh forgot to mention that our trip was planned for the otways, somewhere near anglesea, so anything along there is what we were thinking. Heard theres some nice easy tracks in the otways.

Cheers

michaeld
11th June 2006, 11:42 AM
Hello Dan the safest and most fun way is to join a 4WD club

arthurking83
11th June 2006, 02:00 PM
Cape Otway region!!

Nice area, great photo opportunities, lots of mud this time of year!!

Lots of track have been closed since I've been that way, but there are some good maps(paper) that cover the area.

There is also Little Hard Hills near Enfield (10klms SW of Ballarat).
I never been that way, but have been wanting to for a while.....just to see if the hills are "little", "hard" or a "little hard"!! :p

:)

wombatwal
12th June 2006, 06:46 AM
I would have to agree with MichaelD and join a club.
They will teach you how to drive a 4WD properly and in a safe manner as well as knowing all of the good spots to go to.

ed.
15th June 2006, 02:15 PM
Join a club or get on a 4WD forum such as Australia4WD.com and just attend one of the outings. The more experienced people are always willing to help if you get stuck.

Do try and BYO recovery gear though. :)

Have fun!