PDA

View Full Version : Tomtom

thechocko
12th April 2010, 07:02 PM
Tomtom map errors no maps found and reload maps?
Can anyone out there tell me a way to reinstall maps or is there any websites out there that will let you download maps.
Hooked Tomtom new edition up to computer and lost maps and Tomtom customer service response buy new maps.
Can maps off another Tomtom same model etc be copied or used to reinstall the map. Also can the sd card from other Tomtom be used in the GPS without activating?.
Any help appreciated bear in mind not a computer whiz....
Thanks
Chocko

Nicko
12th April 2010, 10:13 PM
They are telling you to buy new maps? No way! PM me your model number, when and where purchased and I willhave a word to them.

thechocko
13th April 2010, 04:17 AM
Hi Nicko
Actually got it off Ebay a couple of weeks ago and still in original box with activation card and sd card pack still has a serial number on it as well. Contacted Tomtom Australia and was told all I could do was buy a new map. Card has some "files/folders" still on it but no map. Map version V6.75 was on unit and when I hooked it up to Tomtom home on computer ???????? gremlins got it.
Tomtom in USA will not respond to query.
I see a hell of a lot of Tomtom owners out there has had the same thing happen to them. Also note Tomtom maps for Australia and they are the latest updated ones on UK Tomtom 59.95gbp/ $98aud, Tomtom USA $84.95usd/ $93.60aud and in Australia they are listed at $129.95. How can this be??
Tomtom customer support main response for Tomtom users is to go ten toes up and ten toes down if you know what I mean.
Cheers
Mark

Michael
13th April 2010, 06:03 AM
Ah! The joys of buying from eBay.

And the lessons that seem to never be learnt. :soapbox

thechocko
13th April 2010, 06:32 AM
Unit worked fine until went to backup on computer as recommended by Tomtom. Issue is not where I got it from but the way Tomtom operates regards lost map software.
I am just one of the 1000's out there that have had the same issue.
Issue is not where bought from or thru just the way Tomtom support "works".
:thumbsdwn

Nicko
13th April 2010, 01:00 PM
The problem that you have is not just with TomTom, it would have happened even if you bought a Garmin on ebay. You bought it secondhand, and unless you can get proof of the day it was sold new TomTom, Garmin, Navman etc etc will charge you accordingly. If you had purchased through a legit dealer, then the outcome would have been different.

Michael
13th April 2010, 03:21 PM
Actually got it off Ebay a couple of weeks ago and still in original box with activation card and sd card pack still has a serial number on it as well.
Understand you feel upset, but you have to accept that however it looked, you bought a second hand unit & not from an authorised dealer so TomTom have no legal obligation to you.

Michael
13th April 2010, 03:33 PM
No connection with any GPS business.
Just trying to help you understand the reality of your secondhand purchase.
The only recourse you have is through the person that sold it to you.
Any more rude responses & I will delete your post.

thechocko
13th April 2010, 03:37 PM
Sorry but not an issue with the seller problem was when hooked up to Tomtom home.
Please delete post.
Cheers

Nicko
13th April 2010, 04:39 PM
Well I don't know how many times I have said it in this forum, but buying from ebay has it's hazards and to blame TomTom is totally unacceptable in this case. If you can't prove the actually date of sale then why should TomTom do it for free? In saying that, this particular model has only just come out this year.

In saying that if someone had bought an Australian TwoNav product then I might be more lenient assuming the unit has only been here for less than 12 months, unless it is clearly end user stuff up like reformatting the card or something, then I would consider a nominal fee to fix it. :)

thechocko
13th April 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Nicko
Tomtom NEW EDITION not sure when came out and doesn't matter that it came from Ebay or where the issue is that it was working fine and when I hooked it up to computer it lost maps.
Check out Tomtom website and see if you can find a NEW EDITION on list of models.
Sorry but is not on list.
Again Asked Tomtom for original maps and they wanted "$90" approx to fix. Buy the new map from the Tomtom USA site for $90 opposed to $129.95 on Tomtom Australia.
How much for a version V6.7 map?

Cheers

Nicko
13th April 2010, 05:07 PM
I am assuming here that they are charging labour/handling fee as well.

thechocko
13th April 2010, 05:35 PM
Sorry Nicko
No idea what they wanted to charge me for but still not happy as worked fine until hooked it up to Tomtom home.
All I wanted was to restore a version V6.7 map not the latest just the lost version.
All map are downloads and surely an older version map would not be $90 as you can get latest version for $90..??
Forums on Tomtoms have 1000's of TT users out there that have had the same problem so I am not the first.
This thread is just going around in circles so lets agree to disagree.
Cheers

ben6
14th April 2010, 09:44 AM
Hi TheChocko,
I understand what you are getting at, it's one of the reasons I ended up at this forum. I have the same model which was purchased legitimately, albeit some time ago. Haven't used the unit in a while and hooked it up to Home to backup. Next time the unit was started, I got a "No maps found" message. I can see the map files exist on the SD card, just can't get them to work. All attempts with support lead to purchasing new maps. Doesn't matter whether the unit is new or second hand.

thechocko
15th April 2010, 07:01 AM
Hi Ben6
I am no computer whiz but sorted out what I think was my problem. When hooked up to Tomtom home items stored on device were different to what was shown stored on computer. Mainly device had applications like Rider,XL and One where on computer had One and dozens of voices/languages.
Now have a working GPS and it aint going back anywhere near Tomtom home again. Happy with it as it is.
All the best with your GPS
CYA