PDA

View Full Version : So many models of GPS reciever!!

fnqcairns
24th April 2010, 12:56 PM
I have a cheap acer netbook, a licensed version of Oziexplorer also natmap topographic series on DVD.

Been researching a few hours now and find i can now get BT on GPS receivers, i also find there are lots of chipsets even within single brands. long battery lives, short battery lives, USB, data loggers the list of specs can be long on any one device.

Can someone recommend known good quality brands and if possible the models that are then best within please, all to run under the hardware and software i have mentioned above.

Outside budget is now $100 half that would be nice but hey I would rather just buy one decent device that just works than 2 or 3 over the same time period.

cheers

sharkcaver
24th April 2010, 01:25 PM
Globalsat Bu-353 does it for me on my netbook with ozi. Powered by the usb connection (no battery life to worry about) and relatively cheap. You can get them from the online shop

CLICK HERE (http://www.octapc.com.au/category732_1.htm)

Quite a few users of these units, I've not heard any complaints. I do have an issue in that when running off the inverter, my gps connection drops out and I haven't been able to solve this as yet. I do not believe its the gps, I believe it lies either in the pc settings or the inverter.

Hope this gives you some sort of answer, but really you need to ask yourself "what features do I want my gps to have?". If its just to run ozi, then the bu-353 will do it for you.

Shane.

fnqcairns
24th April 2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks Shane, I am not sure exactly, I have used handheld GPS for almost 15 years now so would like to emulate one of those in ease of use but with proper maps, I don't think a data logger is needed but would be nice although the expense then adds up as I have sold myself on a bluetooth enabled receiver...don't know exactly why yet it just seems like something i should do/try, need to get dongle to suit, more money!

thanks again.

fnqcairns
24th April 2010, 03:34 PM
Well i have at this point narrowed my choice down to either a Globalsat BT-338x or the Globalsat BT-359.

There seems to be a solid premium in price one from the other, one has a longer lasting battery and the other has different styling but both have the same chipset and specs otherwise.

Anyone know why a person would pay more for the 338 than the 359...because of battery size only??, thinking I am missing something here.

regards

AusPak
24th April 2010, 08:22 PM
Maybe one of these willhelp withthe budget problem.. gps antena (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GPS-Receiver-Antenna-USB-Laptop-Car-Google-Earth-Map_W0QQitemZ230465013941QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ele ctronics_GPS?hash=item35a8c908b5#ht_2912wt_1034)
I have been using one for a couple of years with laptop and GPS software

Nicko
25th April 2010, 12:09 PM
The BT359 and BT338 have been discontinued, the BT338x replaces the BT338 but priced slightly higher because it has data logging capability. Any of the GPS in our forum shop will do the trick.

Smouch
25th April 2010, 03:35 PM
I am very happy with the performance of my old Holux GPSlim236 bluetooth receiver in the depths of the jungles and mountains around Cairns. (Its my backup if my Oregon falls over)and it has a SiRF Star III 20channel receiver, but is now discontinued..... Replaced by the Holux M-1000 and from reviews it contains a MTK chipset that tracks 32 satellites at a time. is even smaller than the 236, and performs a bit better.

http://www.octapc.com.au/prod10.htm

fnqcairns
22nd May 2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks all for the advice I ended up with the 338x, with some help from here I got it to show in Ozi for the first time just this morning...planing to go for a drive with the netbook later today just to see the moving map in real time..should be fun!

BeesKnees
21st March 2011, 04:17 PM
Ok then fnqcairns, if your still out there in cyberland, how did the BT receiver turn out? I'm in a similar corner at the moment